A stupid cube experiment

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Red can put up a decent fight probably with good enough burn and some strategic breaking of Singleton (Goblin Guide?). It's certainly a challenge though, since keeping all the broken blue stuff around is kinda the point! :)

Yes, I haven't kept up with the new cards lately, but I assume that going to the face is still the only major way that red could compete. Possibilities are to dip into black for more disruption, I think that the discards will be highly valued for those that don't go all out blue. Going under can be hard, but testing will show if red has something to contribute with, apart from bolts and wheel of fortune.

Isn't red deck wins a classic high power cube stable? Maybe you can do something there, as a sort of burn go-to-face red deck win deck.
Yeah, and red decks should be able to survive a couple of turns, and have some mana rocks, to do some shit with Purphorus and empty the warrens and deal 20 to face or something. Maybe seismic assault to have something to do with extra lands if the red deck finds a draw engine.

Did I mention that I have a lot of cube concepts and a lot of bad ideas?
With slimefoot, the stowaway and thallid omnivore coming out of Dominaria, I think there might be a good possibility for a decent Thallid pack in a slightly slower cube. My main cube atm is an old version of the penny pincher cube, and I'm thinking about shifting the 1/1 tokenmaker for 1 from white to green, changing the doomed traveler into a tukatongue thallid and kinda see where I end up.

I'm thinking about slimefoot since blood artist would probably be too good, and I'm thinking about Thallids because I like them and I really really want them to work.

They player that started picking fungi would also be pretty interested in the proliferate cards, making sure that there is ample interest in them.

Ok, my budget cube started out, as I said earlier, with me building one of the earlier penny pincher cubes, so, sorry Grillo, but I'll go about and muck about in this now, it will become a horrible monster!

So, without further ado, changes, with comments.

Out:

In:

This change is purely due to complexity reasons. I don't think anyone in my playgroup has ever made it through the entire text on Vault, and with Diabolic Vision you still get the sequencing, but draw a card instead of having the opportunity sequence your entire library for a couple of life.

Out:

In:

So, this is where things get a bit doubtful. I'm taking heroic out, because, well, I'm not a fan of it. White loses one flyer in this change, but I'd say that is redeemed by getting a double striking flier that absolutely loves enchantments.
Steppe Lynx is a bit of an experiment, but with the bouncelands, I think it's gonna work out ok?
Whitemane Lion is a good card, but not as powerful as stonecloaker, I think this is gonna work out.
The lifegain matters cards can also make drafters other than me care about the lands that give you one life.

Out:

In:

More lifegain matters. Less disruption but a healthy resilience on a better body in the augur/vamp swap.
Bone shredder is a really good card, I want you to work a bit more for your creature based removal.
Stenchskipper is stenchskipper, I'm going for a growing vamp instead.

Out:

In:

Lorescale coatl is... not a very fun card. I'm testing shardless agent, but it's in on probation.

Out:

In:

Basking rootwalla was the only madness card, and sent some weird signals. It now furthers the way of the fungi, in the shape of doomed thallid.
Flash is fun, protection not so much, which is why scryb ranger gets cut. I'd rather double up on quirion ranger or find another version of the effect if needed.
Green and a splash of white should have enough auras to get mini-verdant going.
Slimefoot is basically just a boost to saproling burst, but he can also act as a late game mana sink. He also fits in with the incidental life gain, which should get a BW and BG player to contest for those cards. Hopefully. And if you get both zulaport cutthroat and slimefoot, you are kinda dangerous.
I'm exchanging a cheatable beatstick with a synergistic fungus, I hope that works. Thankfullt the thallid omnivore also slots into lifegain.
I'm avoiding the fungi with counters because I assume that they might be too slow, and I don't think I want to go too heavy on proliferate in this patch.

I'm interested in adding som explore cards, I like that mechanic, but don't know what to cut for it, so this is it for now.

So, I wanna get rid of since I find it kinda uninteresting, and I'm leaning towards

But all of the following are interesting as well. Any suggestions?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Trickster is one of my favorite cards printed recently, it's excellent. So much play to it.
Everything else you've suggested is much lower power level fwiw,except maybe Stern protector or thrummingbird in the right cube

Trickster is one of my favorite cards printed recently, it's excellent. So much play to it.
Everything else you've suggested is much lower power level fwiw,except maybe Stern protector or thrummingbird in the right cube
Yeah, trickster seems really great. There's a lot of counters in the cube, so Thrummingbird might be powerful, I don't know yet. But I am consciously lowering the powerlevel in this cube a litte. I think I'll try trickster for fridays draft and see how it works out.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah, trickster seems really great. There's a lot of counters in the cube, so Thrummingbird might be powerful, I don't know yet. But I am consciously lowering the powerlevel in this cube a litte. I think I'll try trickster for fridays draft and see how it works out.

I'm more worried about you adding saprazzan heir and realizing it's the worst 1/1 unblockable ever (Like seriously, play like, escape artist if thats what you want)

Waterfront bouncer was a card everyone kept telling me was good but I never really got. Maybe it was just as a reanimator card, reliving pressure where merfolk looter would be drawing you cards but still putting targets where they want to be.

Waterfront bouncer worked wonders in my previous cube, but that is with reanimation supported. As for saprazzan heir, you're probably right.

Trying some new cards for tomorrows draft, Out:

In:

Since I took out the heroic package, I think I can lessen the amount of combat tricks. I might have to look over the amount of cards that can absolutely destroy Triumph of Gerrard, but I hope it works. We'll see.

Ok, I took out triumph and ran a prowess light creature in Serra Disciple since it was close by and honestly a better card.

Got a full 8-man draft today, and I piloted this deck to the finals where I lost:

Boros Bushwacker

It managed to play an insanely grindy long game with eternal dragon, trading post and aether spellbomb while forced back, an when it was time to attack, a handful of tokens and a bushwacker could usually close things out. It lost to Niv Mizzet in the finals, will post the rest of the decks later.

Ok, it took me a while, but here come the winning deck from last weeks draft, along with some quick thoughts while I prepare for a new draft tomorrow.

Izzet tempo

Niv-Mizzet was MVP and managed to turn some games that looked lost around all by itself. Jori En worked above and beyond what I expected and drew 2 - 3 cards per game where it stayed on the table. Niv-Mizzet is now on my watchlist.

Quick changes going into tomorrows draft:
Out

In

Next on the chopping block is 1x Master splicer, golems are well enough without having redundancy there, will see what end up in that spot.