A True Test of Skill!

Hello all! After a couple weeks of planning, creating a tentative list, getting frustrated, then recreating the list, I was finally able to put together something I felt satisfied with. We just finished a small 4 man test draft with this first draft list (no pun intended), so I thought this would be a good time write down my thoughts while they're still fresh in my mind.

Without further ado: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/101976

The Concept
The cube was conceived as a way to reward skillful drafting/deckbuilding and tight play. My playgroup had been cubing with the MTGO vintage cube list for a little over a year and we were getting tired of games being decided by the flashier bomb or who had their mox in their opener. This meant that the finishers in this cube needed to be a level below the power maxed top end of powered cubes. However, I believe that high power enablers were still OK. In theory, a card like Jace, the Mind Sculptor, while obviously strong, isn't going to win you the game on its own any time soon while something like Elspeth, Sun's Champion most likely would.​

The Archetypes
{W} Blinks {U}
This deck wants to abuse ETB triggers. It's pretty straight forward. There's plenty of great ETBs in every color, so this deck could really be in any color combination however the majority of the anchor cards are in white and blue.​
{U} Artifact Control {B}
The UB decks want to stabilize the game early while building up a plethora of artifacts to ramp into one of its handful of finishers. The artifact synergies spill over into both white and red.​
{B} Disruptive Aggression & Aristocrats {R}
The strategy for RB is to run you out of resources quickly while beating you down with aggressive creatures. It has a variety of hand disruption and threaten effects to pave way for its attackers.​
{R} Swarm Aggro {G}
RG excels at outpacing and overwhelming its opponents with its creatures. This could mean going wide with tokens or going big with a huge body or a pump spell. There's also a small landfall theme here that bleeds into white.​
{G} Midrange Beats {W}
This deck's aim is to curve out with high value creatures and spells. This color combination is probably the least defined out of all of them, however it also mingles very well with every other color.​
{W} Going Wide {B}
WB decks have a ton of token generation built in, allowing them to go wide very quickly. Similar to WU every color has tokens support so this could really be any combination of colors, but pairs especially well with red. WB also has a large amount of incidental lifegain which gives these decks lots of incremental advantages over the course of the game.​
{B} Graveyard Value {G}
The GB decks want to utilize their graveyard to its fullest potential. They aim to gain value from sacrificing their own permanents, discarding their own cards, and milling their own library.​
{G} Evasion & Card Selection {U}
GU decks can go under your nose with its evasive creatures to activate their own card advantage abilities. On top of that, there's a card selection theme, where stacking your deck correctly is incredibly important.​
{U} Artifacts & Spells {R}
UR is really split into two main archetypes. The first is a version of the artifacts deck that is more geared towards cheating out a big artifact finisher. This slots very easily into the UB artifacts deck. The second is the spells matters deck which has some overlap in white.
{R} Classic Aggro with Artifacts {W}
RW players want to fill their deck with low to the ground creatures and a variety of burn spells. It's also possible to incorporate an artifacts matter theme into these RW decks.​
Although I listed the archetypes in color pairs, I think they should be taken as guidelines rather than rules. The drafter should be rewarded for thinking outside the box instead of forcing an archetype. I should also note that there are a few build around cards spread throughout.​
The Goal
The goal right now is to make the cube more cohesive. This means finding ways to connect each archetype to another in some way (I'm open to suggestions). This also means possibly cutting some of the narrower cards that really only benefit a single strategy. My playgroup has experimented with custom cards in the past so I might try some of that.​
The Concerns
This cube is by no means perfectly balanced yet. There's a handful of cards I want to keep an eye on, but I would need to see them actually played first to make an educated decision. Outside of that, I'm worried that I'm trying to do too many things with the cube and I should make the strategies more focused.​
Cards to watch out for:
Too strong:​
Tinker (Seems OK without Battlesphere)​
Too weak:​
Laboratory Maniac (Needs more support)​
Geralf's Messenger (BBB hard to cast)​
Dark Deal (Not sure why this is here tbh)​
Too Miserable:​
Liliana of the Veil (Seems OK to me but people were complaining)​
Braids, Cabal Minion (Read Liliana of the Veil)​
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this wall of stuff. If you have any suggestions or constructive criticism I'm happy to hear it.​

Some things from our first draft:
  • We had 4 players with 4 packs of 15 cards each to see more of the cube. Played a round robin afterwards.
  • I had an unexciting first pack and just took a p1p1 Crucible of Worlds. Then proceeded to spend the first pack picking up every fetch I saw. Ended up in 4 colors...
  • We had 3 G/x midrange decks out of 4 people but each person ended up building around different strategies which was cool to see. Had a Collected Company deck, a more controlling deck with Liliana of the Veil and other discard effects and my 4 color Life From the Loam/The Gitrog Monster deck.
  • Last player p1p1'd a Delver of Secrets then managed to find 4/5 Brainstorms in under half of the cube. He ended up in a sweet UR spells deck that 3-0'd pretty easily.

UR Delver

Inventor's Apprentice was surprisingly good. It was basically Delver #3 despite only having a few artifacts and Phantasmal Image on Thermo-Alchemist is silly.
On a different note, if anyone decides to draft my cube feel free to share your decks. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Hello and welcome!

A nice looking start to a non-power-max cube! I think the first question, and one of the most important, is what is driving you to pick your cube size? From your small draft report above indicating you had 4 players, 540 might be quite large. Is 4 a normal amount of players for you? A smaller cube size will help you narrow in on specific archetypes while also making them more consistent in drafting.

Reducing size (if that's what you want to do) also is a convenient opportunity to remove some of your "concerns", without having to find a replacement :). I'd say off the cuff that the titans are probably too strong, and that Braids is one of the coolest black cards so I'd be loathe to see her dropped.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Welcome! Loving the avatar. Not sure what's going on there.

One thing comes to my mind about skill-testing cubes: Jason's original cube was all about creating skill-testing games. He did this by mixing high-power, quality removal, and speed. There were plenty of powerful creatures, but there was always enough removal to deal with them, and half the decks were so fast that the bombs were too slow. I don't have a problem with bombs in cube - as long as the removal can match them, and the decks are good enough to outplay them.

Efficient spells and creatures also meant players had a lot of options every turn, right from the start of the game. I remember drafting with him in Antwerp. He was playing a 4-color aggro deck and laughing because he had like four legit lines of play, and had to figure out what the best was. (He asked me and I just had no idea. I'm not a great player.)
I think most riptiders have picked up on this, and we tend to keep our curves low. The mtgo cubes seem to be pretty bulky around the 4-drop slot, which greatly limits what can be done in a turn.

So in the end, what I think of in terms of good games is not about drafting or archetypes: It's about playing with and around removal and counterspells, and finding good lines of play when you have many options. You can encourage this by keeping your cube curve low, running the right level of removal , and making sure that good decks can be equally as powerful as bombs.

I think the first question, and one of the most important, is what is driving you to pick your cube size? From your small draft report above indicating you had 4 players, 540 might be quite large. Is 4 a normal amount of players for you? A smaller cube size will help you narrow in on specific archetypes while also making them more consistent in drafting.

We usually draft with anywhere from 4-8 players and tend to do a couple back to back drafts. I chose a larger cube size just to eliminate some of the set up between drafts, but I can see how that would lead to too much variance in terms of what cards show up. I'd prefer to do a couple of larger drafts before I decide to cut down on the cube size.

I tested my skill

Esper Control from CubeTutor.com

At first I thought that all the cute synergie drei en decks would be far too weak against what I started picking. Stuft like p1p1 Metamorph into JtMS looks pretty busted. But then I realized, that my deck IS pretty clunky, I saw 0 many rocks and only got little early interaction to meet aggro decks.

But I still feel like a deck like this, with Jace, Elspeth and 3 Wrath's should be pretty strong in that format.