General Adapting Morph to cubes

Morphs are a cool mechanic and many people would like to run them in their cubes. Myself included, I find the bluffing mechanics fun and skill intensive.

The problem with morphs is how bad Gray Ogres are compared to other creatures in cube. Just pretend you played a vanilla 2/2 on turns 3 and go through the 3 cmc slots in your cube (assuming you're on the play) and 4 cmc slots (assuming you're on the draw) and check out how most cards will blow you out.

The solution, not relying on custom rules, is to craft an environment that's friendly to Ogres, which consists on:
- 2/3s and 3/3 at a premium
- Bad 2 toughness removal
- 2 toughness wipes (Pyroclasm) not present
- Few 2/1s and 2/2s

This pretty much requires either a very slow cube or a very low power environment. Either way, many cards that are considered fun and common in cube are ruled out.

Another solution is to change the rules, and the simplest way is to change the base stats and cost of morphs from 3 mana 2/2s to something more efficient.

Here are the options I've considered:

I have thought long about these options, and spent a lot of time theorycrafting looking at my current cube list (reasonably low powered) and the following morph module:

By elimination:
(3 mana) 2/3 - Clogged board
(3 mana) 3/2 - Many get downgraded
(3 mana) 2/2 - Grey Ogres are too bad without flipping
(2 mana) 2/2
(2 mana) 2/1 - Some 1/3s become too good, tokens are good
(2 mana) 1/2 - Clogged board, not enough incentive to call a bluff when defending
(2 mana) 1/1 - Being is the play is too good

I will try Grizzly Bears, because I believe it's what get closer to not warping a preexistent cube at a reasonable power level. One risk is having aggro decks be too easy to draft, but I believe slower decks can get away with playing more 2/2s for defense and late game value, giving them an inherent defense layer that's not present in most cubes to counter the "too easy to draft bears" environment.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I just want to say that the actual morph model requires a low power enviro, because of how critical the 3cc slot is. Those have to be impactful spells to justify their awkwardness, not meaningless bodies.

Adding ETB seems like it would bring some balance issues. Is there one 'effect' of choice that doesn't unfairly benefit certain archetypes? You'd either hVe to pick the right effect, compensate with other card choices, or accept the imbalance.

I really like the 2/2 bear idea. Reducing the morph cost is another dial to turn that might work out ok.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
At 3 I think maybe draw a card? Scry 2 at 2cc? I kind of feel like elvish visionary is the guide here, but not sure.
Card draw is really powerful though, I think that's a bit too much of a bonus. Elvish Visionary doesn't do anything else but draw a card, whereas the morph is actually going to a threat on later turns. The fact that Elvish Visionary is a perfectly playable card when all it does is cycle says enough.

To be honest, I think 2/2 for {2} is a good starting point for testing, I was just planting the idea for playing with something else than the cost : stats ratio in case Grizzly Bear morphs turn out too good.

One of the mechanics they considereded for the "upgraded morph" from Dragons of Tarkir, which ended up being megamorph, was what they called "bearmorph", which was morph but costing 2 instead of 3 (you know, like a bear). The reason they didn't ended up doing that one was because it separated the two types of cards before they got turned face up, so there would be the morphs that entered for 3 and the morphs that entered for 2. What I'm trying to say is that, if you are fine with changing how much morph cost and adding a made-up rule to your environment, that sounds like a fine way to go.

And about my personal experience with morph, I wanted to add it, but the problem was that (obviously) you need some ammount of morph creatures to keep the mystery, so I added a couple morphs to each color. Things have changed a bit from that time, and currently these are the morphs I run:

I can say I enjoy all of them and don't see them going out anytime soon. I don't apply any rule, just play as the cards have been printed. Hope I've been of some help.