Sets Amonkhet (AKH) Spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
honoredcropcaptain.jpg

Well this card is strong and fits into my themes in RW

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Don't get me wrong, I love the art, but isn't this just barely better than Accorder Paladin with the massive downside of being two colors? Or am I missing something?
Well... 2 toughness is infinitely better than 1, and this is pretty much exactly what the color is about, so you're reinforcing the color pair's identity nicely. That said, I'ld play a second Figure of Destiny over the first Honored Crop-Captain for sure :)

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
It's because of the rules text of embalm. Embalm {X} means "{X}, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a white Zombie <other creature types> with no mana cost. Embalm only as a sorcery."

So, because all of the other embalm tokens have no mana cost, neither does this clone embalm.

No no, that's what I mean. Why does embalm work like this?

CML

Contributor
oketra the true
kefnet the mindful
bontu the glorified
hazoret the fervent
rhonas the indomitable
gideon of the trials
as foretold
liliana, death’s majesty
glorious end
vizier of the menagerie
angel of sanctions
pull from tomorrow
combat celebrant
vizier of many faces
harsh mentor
approach of the second sun
curator of mysteries
plague belcher
channeler initiate
soul-scar mage
glory-bound initiate
regal caracal
bone picker
censor
cast out
dusk to dawn
commit to memory
never to return
insult to injury
reduce to rubble
prepare to fight
rags to riches
cut to ribbons
heaven to earth
nissa, steward of elements
samut, voice of dissent
honored crop-captain
throne of the god-pharaoh
irrigated farmland
fetid pools
canyon slough
sheltered thicket
scattered groves

akroma’s vengeance
cycle lands
cloud of faeries
complicate
decree of justice
eternal dragon
expunge
blast from the past
cycle lands
krosan tusker
miscalculation
living death
radiant’s judgment
twisted abomination
slice and dice
unearth
archfiend of ifnir
astral slide
lightning rift
drake haven

MISS ANYTHING?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Someone should make some sort of CSA subscription program where new, locally-sourced cube cards are delivered to your doorstep each release.

Locally Sourced I disagree with. There's one good card store in Toronto, and it's on the exact opposite side of the city from me -_-

Seriously you can't even walk into 401 anymore and buy cards unless they're 30+$ or nonfoils. You can finish a standard deck, or you can buy eternal foils, but if you aren't doing other things they kinda can't help you.
And their website is atrocious. Can't even check their stock, you just add it to you cart and maybe it works.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Another set another prerelease. Always look forward to playing with new cardboard. Opened up my packs (although the prerelease box is so confusing to open), and saw my two sweet Sphinx's and thought I was going to make a nice base blue deck with these two bombs, until I looked at the rest of my cards and saw no support for any of them. Noticed my green was pretty solid, found another colour and because it is me, splashed my two UU sphinx's...

The 3-drop grind

This was the best way to show the deck, as you would have to scroll if I put all the 3's in the one column :p

I ended up being 3-0 before I had to drop to make prior arrangements. Deck was nice and grindy, just the way I like it. I beat UB control and two RG aggro decks. The second of which got me down to very perilous life totals until an Oracle's Vault Trigger got me a Baleful Ammit to help survive an alpha, then just drown him in Vault's card advantage.

Card notes:
  • Oracle's Vault was my MVP. Whenever it came down, I just used it used it the next consecutive turns to try and get 3 bricks as soon as possible. Drawing two cards a turn in limited is pretty hard to come back from if the game is at parity. Even got to Quarry Hauler it once. That was pretty exciting.
  • Greater Sandwurm is such a great common. It gave me something to do on turn 2 and was pretty much the card that finished every game for me. That trinket text on it does a lot of work when combined with Splendid Agony I managed to swing for 14 that they weren't expecting to not be able to block.
  • Baleful Ammit makes racing so damn hard for the opponent. I combined this with the Cartouche of Strength to make aggro decks cry. In a 3/2 heavy world this doesn't live in combat very long, but for it's CMC it pushes you ahead in a race by at least 3 lengths.
  • Splendid Agony is possibly one of the best removal spells in the set, removal/combat trick that can take out 2 creatures is pretty absurd at common and this blew out way more combats then my opponents would like to admit.
  • Horror of the Broken Lands constantly impressed me. With the amount of cycling cards I had, it was always a headache to deal with in combat. It was a decent blocker and help fixed my wonky manabase with cycling away when I was struggling to drop things early.
Exert and Cycling are great mechanics, as they allow choice to happen and lead to less board stalls. I feel like the format was pretty fast overall (even though in my first game I had 5 cards left in my library). Keen to do the Team Sealed GP in Sydney in a couple of months. Should be a good set for it (so going to build 4 colour cycling) :D

guess i shouldve used my oracles vault . rug 7 island 7 forest 4 mountain counters and bombs (3 manticores, crocodile hexproof, 4 flyers) were enough to win half. had 2 censors and 2 essence scatter 1 magma spray 3 mana ramp 2 drops. enough to always have vs boros and gruul. both combo off with exert triggers and instants but removal and already had enough mid drops out

shouldve probably main decked the cartouche and enchantments (had both for red and blue) for value maybe red god promo too. got shut down by the white one. first strike on vigilance flyer walled me for days with the tap zombie and tap artifact. needed more burn n artifact removal
opened liliana. embalm clone and green mana ramp 3/4

So this may not be surprising, but Nissa, Steward of Elements is bonkers. Top 8'ed with her and some sweet in-color rares, including my forever and always favorite name

MOUTH

I like it quite a bit better than Call of the Herd. It lets you get your on-curve Hippo, and then later in the game when you've finished developing the board, rather than get... another hippo... you can draw like 2 or 3 or more cards, which is sweet in mono-green. Obviously a little fragile to removal and wipes, but so is the rest of the color green.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Archdemon of Ifnir is stupid
Archfiend of Ifnir does not a playable pool of cards make, I sadly discovered. My other rares all sucked balls. Two cycling lands are nice and all, but they don't win you any games, and neither does a 1/2 prowess for {R}. I also pulled the 3/3 exert Elvish Piper, which would have been awesome if I had had anything worth putting into play for free (other than the demon). The biggest creature I pulled was the 6/5 land-cycler. I must have had other rares, right? Oh, the prerelease foil was the draw X, discard 1 for {X}{U}{U} with not enough blue playable to justify playing double blue cards. Ah, and the final card was Prowling Serpopard, which has an irrelevant ability and dies to all of the 3/1's and 3/2's for three in the format. All in all a pretty disappointing experience today :/

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I somehow went 3-1 with green black commons and uncommons midrange *Shrug*
Liliana's Mastery was the good card I opened, and it was indeed good, though mostly in just being 2 bodies, though I did have a few Cursed Minotaur who got pumped.

I didn't really have any spectacular wins, but I did get ran the fuck over by someone with the following curve:
T2: Pathmaker Initiate
T3: Tah-Crop Skirmisher
T4: Emberhorn Minotaur
T5: Glorybringer
T6: Floodwaters

Also, I got to see someone Lay Bare the Heart my friend and reveal the following:

That was pretty great to witness :p