Sets Amonkhet (AKH) Spoilers

Serpopard is a real life term for an ancient Egyptian mythological beast. Considering this is a top down set, I guess I'm actually not surprised to see them.

Still love it. Serpopard. Lol.

Looks like a cute, scaly ermine

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The primary effect being automatic and the trigger being a "may" is odd. Anybody have an explanation?

For the primary effect, you have the choice to cast it or not. If you don't cast the spell, you are not going to gain the life. If you cast the spell, presumably you want to gain the life, since that's the only thing the card does when you cast it. The triggered ability is tied to the cycling ability. Once again, whether you want to cycle or not is your choice, but you have no choice in whether the trigger goes on the stack once you are cycling your spell. If you want your players to be able to replace the card, but not gain the life for some reason, this is how you would word it. Mainly though, because it's a reprint. I have no doubt that the may would have been dropped if it had been a modern design.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
For the primary effect, you have the choice to cast it or not. If you don't cast the spell, you are not going to gain the life. If you cast the spell, presumably you want to gain the life, since that's the only thing the card does when you cast it. The triggered ability is tied to the cycling ability. Once again, whether you want to cycle or not is your choice, but you have no choice in whether the trigger goes on the stack once you are cycling your spell. If you want your players to be able to replace the card, but not gain the life for some reason, this is how you would word it. Mainly though, because it's a reprint. I have no doubt that the may would have been dropped if it had been a modern design.

No, they 'may' is great. Don't want to nerf these cards.

I think the "may" was because of the missed trigger rules as of Onslaught. If I remember correctly, a missed trigger would have been a GRV and frequently merited a rewind. On low cost cyclers, you might just want the card and forget about the trigger. So they added "may" to those (unless it made the wording too awkward) so that you could do that and you'd just miss out on the effect.

i get that these lands are the actual forests/mountain/plain/swamp/island but coming into play tapped isn't that bad? in an environment where we have the 2 life untapped duals and old school free duals...

i dunno maybe i'm crazy

oh i had pretty much those in my aforementioned custom cycling set

they play pretty well with fetches yeah

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
i get that these lands are the actual forests/mountain/plain/swamp/island but coming into play tapped isn't that bad? in an environment where we have the 2 life untapped duals and old school free duals...

i dunno maybe i'm crazy

If you're offering more of a "best cards" experience, than these lands probably aren't really of much note (which is fine!). However, if you are on the more creative end of cube design, this is a bit like discovering a new color to paint with (assuming they complete the cycle). Dual lands are the easiest way to create a unique format identity, since they are so core to everyones drafting and deck building process.

there are people who are running fetch/shock who are also willing to run the monocolored cycling lands and these are mostly a step up in power from those so yea

But..Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy do they have basic land types?

If these have, why not every other piece of duel land cycle in the past?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
But..Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy do they have basic land types?

If these have, why not every other piece of duel land cycle in the past?

Why is this bad?

Also, cross post from the cycles thread:
Well here, let me help:
Refuse Flows.jpgRiverbend Oasis.jpgSerene Outback.jpgSoot Plains.jpgSteam Dunes.jpg

Not bad for a half hours work I'd say. If you've got any better art or names (these seem to be pretty generic, though the art is supposed to be Egyptian themed)
What I'm going for here is the UG one is supposed to be the nile (not the most proud of that art, a lot of river artwork is of the amazon), and the BG one is supposed to be the worst parts of the Ganges. Hopefully that's coming across at least a bit :p