Sets Amonkhet (AKH) Spoilers

decisionparalysis.jpg
Biggest disappointment in the set. I thought the point of exert was that they were finally keywording "doesn't untap during next untap step", so this could just be "Tap and exert up to two target creatures". Instead they're defining a keyword to mean exactly that, but then refusing to use it for some reason. And unless they change their mind about exert or define another keyword with the exact same meaning, we're stuck with the awful wording forever.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
View attachment 1345
Biggest disappointment in the set. I thought the point of exert was that they were finally keywording "doesn't untap during next untap step", so this could just be "Tap and exert up to two target creatures". Instead they're defining a keyword to mean exactly that, but then refusing to use it for some reason. And unless they change their mind about exert or define another keyword with the exact same meaning, we're stuck with the awful wording forever.

Oh my, what a fail :( That was exactly my hope, but no...

Exert is just a keyword action that means "doesn't untap during next untap step". They're separately making the "design" decision to not use it when they could. It's like deciding that Convoke is specifically for creatures and spelling it out on every noncreature it appears on, except it affects more cards.

Or deciding that "die" is just for creatures and continuing to spell out "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield" on anything that might apply to a noncreature.

This seems like a super neat card. Getting rewarded for ramping seems really nice. I like that it adds a resource management minigame.

en_HHaQF43eEU.png

Flavorfully, exert does not work for thus type of spell. You can't "exert someone", exertion is something you do to yourself. It reads well in the contextra of a creature "trying extra hard" not "lol I'll lose you in a 3D maze"

Behind that, the keyword is doesn't untap on your next untap step, so it wouldn't even work mechanically the same way.

Could they have worded it a little different? Sure. Still wouldn't resonate like "menace" does for the blocking thing. My playgroup calls the not untap "freezing", and that keyword would work better for the effect in general, but wouldn't resonate for Exert creatures

Chris Taylor

Contributor
drakehaven.jpg

Lightning Rift via Wind Drake? You have my attention

preparedfight.jpg

1W, instant
Untap target creature, it gets +2/+2 and gains lifelink until eot
3G, Sorcery
Cast from your graveyard
Prey upon

So there's things I like about dromoka's command and things I don't, and one of the things I don't is that basically every time it's cast it's an absolute blowout. I think this is one of the cards that encourages you to play them separately, which I find more interesting than some of these which look like terribly templated entwine spells. Maybe it's not that good, but I like the idea.
channelerinitiate.jpg

So is this card good or bad if you've got a +1/+1 counter theme in your cube? Probably bad, since it doesn't work with volt charge or abzan falconer, but I do kinda like the idea of a new werebear that taps for mana early and attacks with a solid body later.
I wonder if that sort of cognitive dissonance is enough to stop me running this thing.

I don't think the Channeler is good in a +1/+1 theme - sort of nombo. But the card is interesting by itself, and it's cool with undying dudes. Strangleroot Geist, then this (targeting geist) sounds pretty decent to me. And failing that, it's a fixer/ramp dude and then a decent threat later. I don't know if it's good enough, but I really dig the design.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't think the Channeler is good in a +1/+1 theme - sort of nombo. But the card is interesting by itself, and it's cool with undying dudes. Strangleroot Geist, then this (targeting geist) sounds pretty decent to me. And failing that, it's a fixer/ramp dude and then a decent threat later. I don't know if it's good enough, but I really dig the design.

I have the feeling it is, I just hope people don't skim the card, see counter, and then wonder why their opponent was so happy to volt charge them :p
All hail the above the curve green 2 drop renaissance!

That is also a nonbo. The Geist would still have a +1/+1 counter immediately before it dies, so it wouldn't come back.

No, it would have -1-1 counters, you're thinking of persist. This wouldn't work with Kitchen Finks. However, and you are probably referring to this aspect, you're right that it wouldn't come back if it already had +1+1 counters on it.

"
  • Undying relies on the last known information about the permanent just before it was put into a graveyard. If that permanent had a +1/+1 counter on it, then receives enough -1/-1 counters for it to be put into a graveyard due to having 0 toughness or lethal damage marked on it, it won't return to the battlefield despite the state-based action of +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters "cancelling each other out". As the permanent last existed on the battlefield, it had a +1/+1 counter on it, so undying will not trigger."

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't know that. Devil's in the details. That certainly would have been misplayed in my group as I don't think anyone has ever questioned +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters canceling each other.

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't know that. Devil's in the details. That certainly would have been misplayed in my group as I don't think anyone has ever questioned +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters canceling each other.

It's a weird interaction that doesn't come up a lot; might come up more in a cube that supports +1+1 counter themes. Personally I can't think of many in my cube, maybe some weird stuff with Skin Render + Kitchen Finks + 3 mana Nissa or something.

@sigh, yes, that is how undying works, just as the card says if there were no +1+1 counters on the creature before it died you return it with +1+1 counters on it. Doesn't matter if there are -1-1 counters, fate counters, bean counters, it only checks for +1+1 counters.

It's a weird interaction that doesn't come up a lot; might come up more in a cube that supports +1+1 counter themes. Personally I can't think of many in my cube, maybe some weird stuff with Skin Render + Kitchen Finks + 3 mana Nissa or something.

@sigh, yes, that is how undying works, just as the card says if there were no +1+1 counters on the creature before it died you return it with +1+1 counters on it. Doesn't matter if there are -1-1 counters, fate counters, bean counters, it only checks for +1+1 counters.
I am aware that is how that works. My point is you don't have to have a +1/+1 on it already to (try) to combo with it, which doesn't even work anyway, as discussed. It "combos" with Bloodsoaked Champion the same way, or even better, because it's basically sacrice a creature at that point, and there are lots of ways to synergize with that.

I am aware that is how that works. My point is you don't have to have a +1/+1 on it already to (try) to combo with it, which doesn't even work anyway, as discussed. It "combos" with Bloodsoaked Champion the same way, or even better, because it's basically sacrice a creature at that point, and there are lots of ways to synergize with that.

I'M SORRY I THOUGHT THERE WAS A QUESTION MARK AT THE END OF YOUR POST! lol my bad

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
drakehaven.jpg

Lightning Rift via Wind Drake? You have my attention
I ran Lightning Rift with the "or discard a card" text for a while as an "always wheels" incentive for red based control, but the support was iffy and it was usually just 15th pick trash. That said, its easier to support this effect in blue and the cumulative effect on this makes it a legit single card wincon. This is probably very good especially if you ULD cycling lands.