General Archetype Shapes

Archetype Shapes

Introduction

This post talks about archetype shapes, representing designs of which colors the archetype spans.

When designing a cube with synergies, is it common to have an archetype layout of 10 pair archetypes. Another popular archetype layout is 5 triangle archetypes. This post starts by talking about the minutiae of these two shapes and then introduces two other shapes, pivot archetypes and mono archetypes.

The shapes can be arranged in a uniform and symmetrical shape, or overlap in an arbitrary, non-symmetrical arrangement.

Pair Archetypes

The most classic archetype shape, pair archetypes span over two colors. Decks of that archetype normally include both colors.

Retail examples of pair archetypes:
  • {W}{B} Enchantments in Magic Origins
  • {R}{G} Werewolves in Shadows over Innistrad
  • {U}{G} Merfolk in Ixalan
  • {U}{B} Ninjas in Modern Horizons
One useful tool is adding a gold signpostof the two colors to signal the archetype is present in the cube. One drawback of using narrow gold signposts is that they are used even less often than the average gold card. Not only a deck’s manabase need to include that color pair, but also the deck must be of that archetype.

The advantages of pair archetypes are simplicity and leanness.

Simplicity. Being the most common archetype shape in retail draft sets, players generally understand and expect pair archetypes, especially when a gold signpost is present.

Leanness. Pair archetypes do not take up many slots in the cube, making it fairly easy to support archetypes for all 10 color pairs.

The disadvantages of pair archetypes are similarity between decks and the feeling of drafting on rails.

Similarity between decks. Drafting the same pair archetype multiple times will usually yield a deck that plays similarly and has similar interactions every time. This can be mitigated by making the pool either shallow enough that it forces part of the deck to be filled with other cards to support the core strategy, or deep enough that there is choice between sub-strategies within the archetype.

Feeling of drafting on rails. Drafting a pair archetype may not be very interesting and may feel like there is little choice but to pick the card of that archetype. The same solutions described above help overcome this issue.

Occasionally, a deck of the archetype will use only one of the colors and not the other for various reasons. These decks tend to be less synergistic, but make up for it in terms of raw power - the second color may have simply been open. It could also mean that:
  • The archetype was designed in a way that one of the colors does not actually matter.
  • There is a third color that almost supports or already supports the archetype. In this case, it may be worth making it a triangle archetype.
Triangle Archetypes

Archetypes spanning three colors corresponding to shard or a wedge have a triangle shape. Decks of these archetypes have four primary options of color combinations: 2-color decks (AB, AC, BC), or a 3-color deck (ABC). It is common too for a deck to be 2-color plus a splash of the last color for the best archetype enablers of payoffs in that color (ABc, ACb, BCa).

This only actually applies if mana fixing is not so good that there is no cost to playing three colors rather than two. In case mana fixing is too good, almost all decks of that archetype will be ABC, and then it works much more like a pair archetype described above. The rest of this section assumes good mana fixing is not the case, and playing two-colors is a legitimate option.

Retail examples of triangle archetypes:
  • {W}{B}{R} Mardu in Khans of Tarkir
  • {W}{R}{G} Tokens in Modern Masters 2017
  • {U}{B}{R} Pirates in Ixalan
Advantages of triangle archetypes are variety and space for creativity.

Variety. Decks of the pair AB will feel distinct from AC and from BC, and ABC will feel like the most synergistic option, but also least stable in terms of mana. Sometime it is even possible to describe each pair in a distinct way. For example, {U}{B}{G} Graveyard can manifest as {U}{B} Reanimator, {U}{G} Madness or {B}{G} Dredge.

Space for creativity. The much deeper card pool leaves a lot more space for a drafter to do different things with the archetype, and the multiplied possibilities promote decks that are hybrids between archetypes. {U}{B}{G} Graveyard and {W}{B}{G} Counters means that a{B}{G} deck can be Graveyard, Counters, both, or neither.

Disadvantages to triangle archetypes are the leftover cards, bloat, and difficulty of signaling.

Leftover cards. If the archetype is drafted as a two-color deck, the support cards in the third color that was left out may not be interesting to other decks. It is important that the vast majority of archetype cards are generic enough to be desirable in other decks too.

Bloat. Triangle archetypes are reasonably bloated, as they require about 50% more slots than a pair archetype (the critical mass per color does not change much, and there are 50% more colors). This size increase can be lowered by using hybrid or artifact payoffs, for example:

Difficulty of signaling. Signaling is an issue with triangle archetypes. Using gold signposts like Sprouting Thrinax for {B}{R}{G} Sacrifice would signal that decks need to include all three colors. Even a good signal like Tasigur, the Golden Fang for {U}{B}{G} Graveyard is not perfect in that it is not usable in {U}{G}.

Pivot archetypes

An archetype can be centered in one pivot color which needs to be in all decks of that archetype. The pivot color is combined with other color(s) to produce a deck of that archetype.

The most common design for pivot archetypes is to concentrate either all payoffs or all enablers in the pivot color, and spread the other pieces around the other colors.

Examples:
Decks of pivot archetypes will sometimes be two-color, and often three-color, as it is much easier to get critical mass than with two colors.

Advantages of pivot archetypes are leanness and ease of signaling.

Leanness. This shape works well with archetypes that rely on incidental support, as the examples above showcase. Expensive cards, enchantments, and humans are all categories of cards that will appear in most or all colors. If few changes must be made to reach a critical mass of the archetype’s enablers or payoffs in the non-pivot colors, the space the archetype takes is minimal: only these few changes plus narrow cards in the pivot color.

Ease of signaling. There are only two or three payoff cards, and they are in the same color. When a player sees Sigil of the Empty Throne, they assimilate that {W}{X} Enchantments decks are supported. Then, they can draft basically white and pick enchantments from whatever other colors are open. Having payoffs or enablers concentrated on a single color greatly reduces the chance of splitting the archetype with another drafter, too.

Disadvantages are maintenance cost and lack of cohesion.

Maintenance cost. Relying on incidental support from other colors causes the archetype to be sensitive to gradual changes in critical mass. For example, the cube could have been designed with 6 enchantments in each color, but after a couple of swaps, blue is down to 3 enchantments and black is up to 8. {W}{U} Enchantments becomes much weaker, while {W}{B} Enchantments is much stronger.

Lack of cohesion. The same incidental support also causes the deck plan to suffer, depending on whether putting together the enablers in non-pivot colors actually constitutes a game plan. An enchantments deck might seems like it wants as many enchantments as possible on paper, but it should probably not run Favorable Winds, Hardened Scales or Thousand-Year Storm. To mitigate this, count the critical mass as only the cards that a deck of that archetype would actually maindeck, and favor cards generic enough to be playable in most decks of that color.

It is great when all 4 other non-pivot colors have enough support, but in practice it is hard to find a theme that provides incidental support in every single color. Incidental support in 3 out of 4 non-pivot colors is a more reasonable goal and works perfectly fine.

Mono archetypes

Another archetype shape centered on a single color, with a key difference from pivot archetypes: both enablers and payoffs are in that color, and there are few in other colors.

*Formerly called “sphere archetype”, from it being self-contained, and being represented as a single vertex of the color wheel. A furious mob camped outside my door and demanded I change the name.

Examples of mono archetypes:
  • {R} Goblins in Onslaught
  • {B} Devotion in Theros
Mono archetypes can obviously be drafted as a monocolored deck, with all its consistency benefits and limitations of what the color can do. However, that is not the most common way of drafting these archetypes. In drafts, the dynamics of choosing colors cause monocolored decks to be rare, since a color must be very open for it to be worth not dipping into another. The opportunity cost of putting four red cards in monogreen elves deck is very low, as long as casting costs are not incredibly green-heavy. They should not be too colored mana heavy anyhow, or the archetype becomes poisonous, and there aren’t even that many Ball Lightnings in Magic. Therefore, mono archetypes pose an interesting draft challenge to a drafter: what is the best seasoning for this archetype? Can you wheel elves as you first pick Lightning Bolt?

Advantages of mono archetypes are ease of maintenance and ease of signaling.

Ease of maintenance. It is easy to keep track of how well supported a mono archetype is, since the cards are all in one color, and changes in other colors are isolated from it.

Ease of signaling. Similarly, it is hard to go wrong drafting a mono archetype, since the payoffs and enablers are all in the same color. The payoffs act as obvious signposts:

Disadvantages of mono archetypes are bloat in a single color and pressure on color identity.

Bloat in a single color. The fact that a single color needs to have critical mass for the archetype means many slots in that color will be dedicated to it. This is a serious drawback, unless the critical mass is already nearly present in incidental support. For example, it is common to run many elves in green, or lots of burn in red. Adding some payoffs for this deck as a reward for going deep into these categories, effectively seeding the archetype. This is why it’s common for these to be tribal archetypes.

Pressure on color identity. Related to the point above, the fact that many cards of that color are of the mono archetype, the identity of the color is skewed towards that archetype, making it very visible and it is common the color becomes too much about it. To prevent this, almost all cards of that archetype should pivot into other archetypes or be generically playable. For example, Gempalm Incinerator and Goblin Lackey are not good enablers because they are only usable in Goblin decks. Dark-Dweller Oracle and Mogg War Marshal are good since they are usable in many decks that do not care about Goblin count.

Edit: Continues on pt.2 below.

Is your last name Rosewater because daaamn that is a fine written article!

And no I do not use this phrasing to pick up chicks (but I bet you feel flattered, right?)

Very nice article!

Some thoughts; what do you really mean by "green doesn't have human tribal enablers"? We have both good humans like experiment one and a "humans matters" card in mayor of avabruck. Would it be more appropriate to describe the single-color archetype as a "point shape"? In that the three-color shape is a triangle :)

Great post, and it makes sense. Interestingly, I think my personal cube tastes and design philosophy have been strongly pushing me away from thinking about archetypes in this way. With every update I find myself going further and further towards making every archetype 4 or 5 colors. The point about pivot archetypes especially stood out to me, because the design lesson I've found especially relevant (but difficult to manage) is avoiding pivot colors all together in these very broad themes. The key finding for me is omnipresent support overlap.

Since I'm all about combo, the natural example is "casting spells matter." A storm deck doesn't care if you're casting a Burning-Tree Emissary or a Manamorphose per-se. But the choices aren't exchangeable either: on the one hand, you gain extra incentives to chase bounce effects, creature ETB triggers, graveyard recursion, on the other hand you get access to instant/sorceries matter, non-creature spells matter. With non-creature spells matter support, Manamorphose can just as easily go into an artifact-heavy eggs deck. For me, this keeps the drafting process perpetually interesting: you never have to default into drafting a particular "deck" at virtually any point in the draft process. It stays fresh and flexible because the directions grow exponentially.

And most critically: this produces surprise. All the time I see emergent deck strategies that I wouldn't have considered a priori because a huge number of cards just... work together, separately from color identity or strictly defined archetypes. Like, I was quite surprised to see a black-heavy, non-blue, Doomsday + Krark-Clan Ironworks artifact deck. A few drafts before we had a UW creature-untap-based artifact deck. These can't co-exist if you're thinking in terms of shards or pivots. I felt the same way when I saw how many people ended up drafting RG Storm early on in my cube - again if you're thinking of blue as a pivot, or thinking about storm as being about non-creature spells only, it's hard to have this arise naturally. On the flip side, when an archetype was limited to 2 or 3 colors, it becomes boring too fast. I found this to be the case with aristocrats which in my original version of the cube was pretty limited to BW. There was some support outside BW, but the most powerful combos and engines were in BW so it pulled the drafters that direction. Pushing R and G sacrifice and recursion helped more surprising and unexpected decks flourish (and provided more opportunities for overlap with other graveyard-themes by stretching over more colors).

Another consequence worth mentioning: this more flexible and modular design leads to a lot of players including small packages/engines. Sometimes just 3-5 cards can introduce a new and surprising direction to a deck e.g. a tacked on gifts theme, maybe a little bounce package, a non-central way to utilize extra land drops. When your "archetypes" just overlap and synergize and aren't tied down to a particular color combination, these extra packages just... pop-up. Now you start getting surprise and flexibility all the way down to the individual match or game level. You thought you were playing against a creature-based graveyard deck and suddenly the next game they've put together a tidy land engine. I'm not claiming the idea of little modular engines coming together in different ways is a novel idea: it's just much easier to encourage outside of a color-archetype defined environment.

One last note on color-fixing. Whether or not you're thinking 10 color-pair archetypes, shards, pivots, or something in the flavor of what I've defined above, obviously the designer needs to be cognizant of the fixing available. The colors provide a constraint for drafters and deck-builders. Limiting fixing can strengthen this constraint, which can force them to be more creative. But if your archetypes are color-bound, I feel this constraint becomes less interesting. Even if your fixing is so ridiculously narrow that every deck HAS to be a two-color deck, having 4 to 5 color archetypes really gives the constraint teeth for the drafters. Like everything I post, this could all just be a product of my particular idiosyncrasies, but even in the context of the various Legacy-cube, Waddellean or Bounceland orthodoxies it's something to think about.

Man you guys are so annoying!
japahn posts an awesome text and dbs follows with a great one as well, but going in a different direction. Now I actually have to think!

I am curious though, how many of those broad 4-5 color archetypes does your cube support dbs? And how broad? By that I mean is a broad 5 color graveyard theme count or are you more specific like creature GY theme and non-creature GY theme?

Archetype Shapes (pt. 2)

Introduction

This is a follow-up to Archetype Shapes, discussing two important, broader archetype shapes that dbs pointed out I did not include: pentagram archetypes and tetrahedron "tetra" archetypes.

Pentagram archetypes

An archetype present in all five colors is a defining feature for a cube or set. In an archetype of this shape, any colors can be combined to produce a deck, resulting in 20 possible two or three-colored decks. This is an extension of a triangle archetype, taken to the limit.

Not many themes can be pentagram archetypes, as there need to be critical mass in every single color. Broad themes like tokens, spell velocity, graveyard, and blink are good candidates.

Examples of pentagram archetypes:
  • Spirits/Arcane in Kamigawa Block
  • Graveyard in Odyssey Block
  • Allies in Oath of Gatewatch (flawed implementation)

It is not enough to have either enablers or payoffs in each color. All colors should have access to both, or draft traps are created in which is a drafter can pick up two colors that have enablers and find no payoffs. Take Oath of Gatewatch for example: blue has a couple of allies as enablers, but no payoffs, meaning it is usually incorrect to dip into blue in an ally decks. Red has weak payoffs. Green has good payoffs but only in the BFZ pack, making {W}{B} the best version of the archetype by far.

Artifact payoffs are great in the pentagram archetype. They cover the colors which lack payoffs, act as signposts, and take up a minimal amount of real estate. For example:

Advantages of pentagram archetypes are the same as the ones of triangle archetypes, but stronger: extreme variety and green fields for creativity.

Extreme variety. Twenty color combinations means the archetype can be drafted in an incredibly large number of ways. It is unlikely that two decks feel the same. This showcases how elegant and powerful is the combination of the colored mana system and drafting*.

* Without going too deep into it, the colored mana constraints limit each drafter to two or three fifths of the draft pool. The resulting decks then feel unique because colors feel distinct and combinatorics create an exponential number of combinations. At the same time the draft dynamics make the strength of each color self-balancing, so the correct combination to draft varies from pod to pod and from seat to seat.

Green fields for creativity. It is nearly impossible for a cube designer to keep track of all the possible decks of a pentagram archetype, and seeding a cube with pentagram archetypes is equivalent to dropping a bunch of toys on the ground for your players to play with. It is a rewarding experience to see decks emerging from a primordial soup.

Disadvantages of pentagram archetypes are cube identity warping, risk of poisonous design, and delicate balancing.

Cube identity warping. When all colors are present in an archetype, it becomes a large part of the cube’s identity and takes up much of its real estate. A cube that aims to be generic, showcasing the rich variety of strategies of Magic, risks becoming the “artifacts and counters” cube. A common pattern for pentagram archetypes is actually being the only archetype in the cube. A “graveyard cube” is akin to a cube with a single pentagram Graveyard archetype, but the deep pool causes is to behave like a good-stuff cube with card evaluations modified by the environment’s quirks.

Risks of poisonous design. Retail draft environments such as Scars of Mirrodin and Battle for Zendikar show pentagram archetypes can easily become disjointed from the other archetypes. It is important to rein in the power of payoffs and have the vast majority of cards to connect into other archetypes to avoid this segregation. Pentagram archetypes are at higher risk than, say, triangle archetypes because the isolation is less noticeable just by looking at the card pool. Since a card synergizes with 100 cards in the cube it feels at home, but if it should not be played with another 200 cards, that creates a division. It is easy to justify adding poisonous cards because 100 cards synergize with it. Think of modern politics and echo chambers.

Delicate balancing. It is inevitable that some colors will be stronger and some will be weaker in the archetype. If the power difference grows too wide between colors, it will feel bad to draft the pair of the fourth and fifth worst colors and get weak synergies, then learn the correct way to draft the archetype is by picking white first, then whatever is open, effectively being a pivot archetype. A pentagram archetype needs to be balanced as a separate layer of the cube. Even at relatively low power levels, it will often be necessary to cut a color that cannot compete with the others and reshape the archetype as a tetrahedron shape.

Tetrahedron "Tetra" archetypes

The only other clique (complete graph) shape is the tetrahedron, which means an archetype is present in four colors.

Tetra archetypes are halfway between triangle (3x slots, 4 possible decks) and pentagram archetypes (5x slots, 20 possible decks), with 4x slot and 10 possible decks. The doubling of deck possibilities from a tetrahedron to a pentagram costs only 25% more slots, so it only makes sense to run a tetra archetype when a theme can be broadly supported in four colors, but the fifth color is not up to par at the same power level, or at all.

Examples of tetra archetypes in retail draft:
  • {W}{U}{B}{R} Artifacts in Mirrodin block
  • {U}{B}{R}{G} Devoid in Battle for Zendikar

The advantages of tetra archetypes are the same as triangle and pentagram archetypes: variety and space for creativity. The intensity is, naturally, between that of triangle and pentagram archetypes.

The disadvantages of tetra archetypes are similar to those of pentagram archetype: cube identity warping, risk of poisonous design, and delicate balancing, only less pronounced. An additional disadvantage of tetrahedron archetypes is isolation of the missing color from synergies.

Isolation of the missing color. The color that is not included in an archetype misses out on a strong cluster of synergies and possible combinations. It is common for it to feel “good-stuffy”. This is a strong effect which can be mitigated by using an archetype layout that keeps the connections between colors symmetrical. One possibility is adding four pair archetypes including the missing color, but it takes a lot of space in the missing color. Another possibility is having a symmetrical layout of five tetra archetypes, each with one color missing.

Is your last name Rosewater because daaamn that is a fine written article!

And no I do not use this phrasing to pick up chicks (but I bet you feel flattered, right?)

I don't have many idols, but that actually does flatter me. :D

Some thoughts; what do you really mean by "green doesn't have human tribal enablers"? We have both good humans like experiment one and a "humans matters" card in mayor of avabruck.

Are there enough good green humans? It's the color in which my cube has always had the least amount of humans. I had Mayor of Avabruck at some point, which made the archetype be a double pivot: a strong one in white and a weak one in green. Ultimately I removed Mayor because its only home was really {W}{X} splash {G} humans. I did not write about double pivots (two colors have payoffs, the rest have enablers), but they are kind of anti-pattern since the best version ends up being the deck that includes both pivot colors.

Would it be more appropriate to describe the single-color archetype as a "point shape"? In that the three-color shape is a triangle :)

I wasn't sure if I should call it a "point", a "circle", or a "sphere", but "sphere" sounded cool because it conveys the idea of being self-contained.

Great post, and it makes sense. Interestingly, I think my personal cube tastes and design philosophy have been strongly pushing me away from thinking about archetypes in this way. With every update I find myself going further and further towards making every archetype 4 or 5 colors. The point about pivot archetypes especially stood out to me, because the design lesson I've found especially relevant (but difficult to manage) is avoiding pivot colors all together in these very broad themes.

Thanks so much for calling out that I missed this shape! I though about writing about it, but the post was already kind of long and I just wanted to get it done...

I am a completionist though, and I wrote part two above, hopefully not misrepresenting your thoughts.

Tetrahedron archetypes

The only other clique (complete graph) shape is the tetrahedron, which means an archetype is present in four colors.

Tetrahedron archetypes are halfway between triangle (3x slots, 4 possible decks) and pentagram archetypes (5x slots, 20 possible decks), with 4x slot and 10 possible decks. The doubling of deck possibilities from a tetrahedron to a pentagram costs only 25% more slots, so it only makes sense to run a tetrahedron archetype when a theme can be broadly supported in four colors, but the fifth color is not up to par at the same power level, or at all.

Examples of tetrahedron archetypes in retail draft:
  • {W}{U}{B}{R} Artifacts in Mirrodin block
  • {U}{B}{R}{G} Devoid in Battle for Zendikar
The advantages of tetrahedron archetypes are the same as triangle and pentagram archetypes: variety and space for creativity. The intensity is, naturally, between that of triangle and pentagram archetypes.

The disadvantages of tetrahedron archetypes are similar to those of pentagram archetype: cube identity warping, risk of poisonous design, and delicate balancing, only less pronounced. An additional disadvantage of tetrahedron archetypes is isolation of the missing color from synergies.

Isolation of the missing color. The color that is not included in an archetype misses out on a strong cluster of synergies and possible combinations. It is common for it to feel “good-stuffy”. This is a strong effect which can be mitigated by using an archetype layout that keeps the connections between colors symmetrical. One possibility is adding four pair archetypes including the missing color, but it takes a lot of space in the missing color. Another possibility is having a symmetrical layout of five tetrahedron archetypes, each with one color missing.

I had done something similar to this, the idea was to make a cube based on 5 4-colour combinations to be seen as two pairs.
UBRG: Graveyard
WBRG: Tokens
WURG: Spellslinger
WUBG: Spirits
WUBR: Artifacts

And the pairs being as follows, IIRC:
WU: Spirits (aggro tempo control)
UB: Graveyard (selfmill or control reanimate)
BR: Tokens (aristocrat)
RG: Graveyard (lands or cast from grave value)
GW: Tokens (go wide)

WB: Artifact (aggro)
UR: Artifact (combo)
BG: Spirits (Kamigawa midrange)
RW: Spellslinger (prowess aggro)
GU: Spellslinger (gro, or some value combo)

Advantages are obvious to everyone, I thought it was a cool concept, but sorta limited, I had a hard time finding the Archetypes. Sans-red Spirits is the hardest archetype to fit in (GB is cool, but really low power), but sans-black Spellsinger being the last one to find a spot, due to Atarka Red (the STD deck) of all things.

Other possibilities were Sans-U humans, Sans-R Enchantments, Sans-G "Low Power Matters", Sans-W Madness.

Like many other ideas, I spent ~ 10 days on it and then never continued it.

Cool coincidence

If WU and BG are spirits, can't one draft WB, WG, UB, and UG spirits too?

They can, but it'll be a bit more "off the beaten path".

I may have a BG or WU signpost or multicolour Spirit card, but not a WB, WG, UB or UG. The two main colour pairs should have more cohesive decks, while the "secondary" ones are more of a "good stuff in these colours with some synergy bringing it together".

Its like the difference between the guy playing WG Go Wide Tokens, and the one going WU "Tokens+Ninjas".

A bit eerie how Maro's article came out on the following day explaining how Core Set 2020 is structured as 5 wedge triangle archetypes - though a bit modified to have two primary and one secondary color per archetype - and what the means for drafting.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/core-point-2019-06-17

There are three different approaches drafters can take when drafting.

First, they can draft any ally-color pair. Each has a strong theme that's loudly expressed on the cards. Second, they can use a three-color strategy where they draft a wedge. Again, each of the five wedge strategies revolve around the ally-color pair themes with an added support of the enemy color. Third, they can draft an enemy-color deck. These decks are a cross between two themes because any enemy combination will have one color that's primary in theme A and secondary in theme B, while the other color will be primary in theme B and secondary in theme A. Let's take blue-red as an example.

Blue is primary in flying and secondary in Elementals, while red is primary in Elementals and secondary in flying. Early on, you pick up a blue Elemental flier. Obviously, you can combine it with white to make a two-color flying deck or red and white to make a three-color flying deck, or you can combine it with red and green to make a three-color Elemental deck. You also have the choice, though, to pick up just red cards and draft both "flying matters" (as red is secondary in flying) and "Elementals matter" (as red is primary in Elementals) cards. Each of the themes were designed such that they interacted with the theme of the enemy color.

GalacticTraveler12 suggested the name "tetra" for the archetypes supported in four colors instead of the clunky "tetrahedron." I edited the post to reflect that, thanks GalacticTraveler12!

Probably, but I'm too lazy to contact Jason just for a username swap :oops:

In all seriousness, I'd probably change it to Torak, which I've been using for message boards recently. This was the first forum I actually started posting at, so I had never changed my go-to username since middle school!