Sets Battle for Zendikar Spoilers

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Emeria Shepherd 5WW
Creature - Angel (Rare)
Flying
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may return target nonland permanent card from your graveyard to your hand. If that land is a Plains, you may return that nonland permanent to the battlefield instead.
4/4

Oh. Oh wow! Seven mana is expensive, but that is one heck of a triggered ability!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
en_Yi2uchXkXz.png

Dumb question: can you use cards exiled by Ashiok or Oblivion Ring for this?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
So you could remove the card exiled by Oblivion Ring, then bounce it and exile something else?
What cards do we have that actually work with Wasteland Strangler? I'm trying to figure out if it's cubeable. Off the top of my head:

Can you exile something that's suspended? Something that's in rebound?

Or is this just too narrow of a hoop to jump through?

Laz

Developer
Can you exile return to graveyard something that's suspended? Something that's in rebound?

Yes and yes.

If you were looking for some way to hate out those damn Riftwing Cloudskates or Epochrasites, look no further.

Cool little synergies exist with Flickerwisp and Mesmeric Fiend type cards, it hates on Aetherling and Obzedat. I have no idea how it interacts with Imprint...

Is this the final kick we need to start playing the Galepowder Mage that CML keeps yelling at us about? Otherworldly Journey is also a kind of neat card.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Flickerwisp itself would be difficult, as you need 6 mana and you're probably not holding both cards in hand that late. I like that it places deckbuilding constraints, but I would want probably 5 or so ways to activate it before I would consider putting it in my deck.

That probably involves altering the composition of my cube somehow. Double Deathrite is a start, I haven't been impressed by Mesmeric Fiend. I guess if this block pumps out some good Ingesters then it might become more reasonable.

Oh right, and Delve. But obviously anything that requires an opponent to be doing something is harder to trigger reliably.

Relic of Progenitus, what else do we have? Cremate as a bad cantrip?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yes and yes.

If you were looking for some way to hate out those damn Riftwing Cloudskates or Epochrasites, look no further.

Cool little synergies exist with Flickerwisp and Mesmeric Fiend type cards, it hates on Aetherling and Obzedat. I have no idea how it interacts with Imprint...

Is this the final kick we need to start playing the Galepowder Mage that CML keeps yelling at us about? Otherworldly Journey is also a kind of neat card.

With imprint typically it wrecks the card. Chrome Mox doesn't tap for mana anymore, soul foundry can't make any more dudes, duplicant becomes a 2/4, etc

Though mimic vat kinda just chills out.

Stuff I'm cubing that can turn on your Eldrazi Processors without requiring much from your opponent includes:

Things your opponent can do to turn on your Processors include:

That, uh, seems like a lot, to me anyway.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Some select hits from the full spoiler:

en_pfw5ha4zkw.png

It's no Whirler Rogue, but the combination of bodies and stats are still solid!

en_v0YhYzlzOe.png

Many of us are desperate for two-drops, and this seems better than Butcher Ghoul.

en_sSuhnpoDkg.png

I actually ran Volcanic Offering for a while, and found it too good / unfun. At six mana, this might be the right cost for the effect...?

en_s1seLVql9o.png

A worse Blood Artist... cause we're all about functional reprints at Riptide Lab!

en_Oe8Lza4EjJ.png

This seems goddamn fantastic. Two good black non-basics in the same set?! I must've made some kind of Demonic Pact.

en_UqKJ8xUACe.png

Probably just worse than Myriad Landscape, but I guess it's an option, at least.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Zulaport is cool, he doesn't cause the same level of combat hell as his vampire brother, but I being able to kill something in combat once in a while is relevant. Its a good middle ground if you want a slightly less powerful version of the effect (or play lots of 1 toughness dudes I guess).

en_1nh4Ve0E23.png

I'm thinking of slapping on flying and lifelink and having it be a less team friendly Archangel of Thune.

Alternately, or in addition:

en_QV0hesZA6h.png

Change the buff into a counter and enjoy flying pridemate action?

Related: How would a 1/1 for {B} or {W} with Pridemate next be?

This full spoiler seems really good at first glance. I feel like there's a lot that Riptide cubes could use from this set to bolster themes or add new ones. Gotta chew on it a bit to see how it'll affect my list.