Black Lagoon

Black Lagoon

Hi everyone, I’ve been slacking in regards to maintaining my cube, but hoping by keeping a blog with musings and updates, I’ll be holding myself more accountable in terms of taking a more active role in playing and thinking about my cube (as of the date of the initial posting, I have not updated since All Will Be One)

Inspiration:

At a friend’s house, as I’m looking through some of his belongings I find a sealed War of the Spark box.

Me: Woah, you still have one of these?

Friend: Yeah, I love this set, I kept a box to play sealed during a special occasion.

Me: That was a fun sealed format, one of my favorite prereleases.

Friend: If only there was a way to play limited without having to use up this box…

Me: wait a second…

Overview:

High planeswalker density cube with an emphasis on playing decks with multiple colors. Because of the high planeswalker quantity, games tend to be grindy and value-oriented. Complexity tends to come from deciding which planeswalker ability to activate, and which target to attack.

Design Goals & Thought Process:

Initially, I was going to build a War of the Spark set cube, but after seeing the cost of obtaining the cards thinking about it, I decided to build a cube inspired by War of the Spark (specifically the sealed experience of opening six planeswalkers and assembling a team to do battle with your opponent’s superfriends). I wanted to emphasize the parts I liked while attempting to fix parts I didn’t like about the set. The two main issues I had with WAR were:

Opening six planeswalkers while not being able to play them due to not having enough fixing.

My first initial reaction was to add a good amount of mana fixing and a high number of gold cards to encourage multi-colored decks. As I consumed more media about cube design, one thing I often saw was to minimize the number of gold cards. Because this was my first time building a cube, I tried to follow the advice of more experienced cube designers and builders, and I had a hard time reconciling the two positions (how do I encourage people to play multi-colored decks so they can play all the planeswalkers, while minimizing the amount of gold cards). Eventually, I came to the realization that I’m over thinking it and that trying to minimize the number of gold cards was not compatible with the vision I had. The heavy gold card quantity also has the added benefit of making draft somewhat more straightforward for some of the people who play the cube (EDH players who don’t play limited and have little experience in sealed and draft); pick lands and pick cards in your colors and just play a 60+ card deck that will still be functional.

Opening planeswalkers and feeling disappointed due to how underwhelming they felt.

War of the Spark was out during a time when I still played at LGSes often and was lucky enough to have access to stores that specifically did sealed events (nothing against draft, I just liked the sealed experience for this set more). One of the disappointing things would be opening the planeswalkers and feeling underwhelmed. I wanted the planeswalkers in the cube to be ones that sparked (heh) excitement when seeing them in the pack, but avoiding the ones that would end up being too powerful and centralizing (e.g. Nissa, Who Shakes the World).

Because War of the Spark exists, I was able to use some of its archetypes as a baseline, specifically proliferate, aristocrats, spellslinging, and ramp. Spellslinging ended up combining with drawing cards as an archetype, which led to cycling being added to the cube. Aristocrats ended up leading to token generation being added as an archetype. Ramp leads itself to supporting a lands strategy, which also helps encourage the multi-colored playstyle theme. I added some WUBRG cards to support the 5-color goodstuff theme.

Games tend to be swingy and there are a good number of bombs. I’d rather have memorable games and allow people to remember certain plays and decks they had a good time playing with the group than a flatter power band (within reason; if cards end up becoming a problem I’ll replace them). This is a result of the average person who plays my cube tend to play MTG as more of a social experience instead of one to try to win.

540 cards is the maximum amount of cards I’m willing to allow, but I’m trying to avoid increasing the cube size. 450 was the initial size, but I bumped it up to 510 to try to fit more cards and its current size seems to be near the ideal.

Silver-border cards are fair game, but no custom cards (nothing against them, but knowing me half the cube would end up being custom cards).

Archetypes:

The color distribution isn’t even but some general themes are as below:

Bant (+black): Proliferate
Jund/WURG: Lands
Grixis: Bolas tribal/Grixis control
Abzan: Token Generation
Jeskai: Drawing cards/cycling
Mardu: Aristocrats
Gruul: Midrange beatdown
Izzet: Spellslinging
Simic: +1/+1 counters
5c

Superfriends is present in all color combinations.

Current thoughts as of initial posting (2023/09/13):

Overall, in-person reception has been positive, people have told me they had a good time playing the cube (hopefully they’re not just saying it to be nice, but because they actually had fun!). I’m happy with the play patterns and playstyles and the current power level of the cube. I always tell other people that my best MTG investment was building a cube.

The most common way I’ve played the cube is 1v1 Winston draft as it’s easier to find one other person with whom to play than a whole group.

Decks tend to be 3-4 colors. I tried to add drawbacks to playing multicolored decks by making the lands enter tapped or cost life, but by having a heavy multicolored environment, green ends up being the best color (anecdotally). Luckily, limited tends to be self-correcting (anecdotally), and sometimes when everyone tries to draft green, the person who ends up winning the pod went 4c sans-green. I still think green needs to be tuned down and I’m wondering if the way to do that would be by requiring green cards to have stricter mana requirements (double/triple green to avoid having them splashed in all decks).

I initially thought aggro didn’t exist in the cube, but that was because of my preconceptions of what an aggro deck was (in my mind, typically 1-2 cmc cards). I thought that the fastest decks were some type of mid-range, but after a few drafts realized aggro did exist, albeit with a higher cmc (2-4 cmc cards). Slower decks can get overwhelmed by fast decks.

Cube link:

https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/1mw65

Thanks for reading, and let me know whatever thoughts you have!

Planeswalker Drafting:

Because the set was inspired by War of the Spark sealed, I’ve experimented with multiple versions of having a separate draft/distribution method for planeswalkers. This is optional, the cube is functional without having a separate draft, but to relive the WAR days, I’ve tried to guarantee that people will have at least six planeswalkers in their pool. This number is based off of the seeded planeswalker in each WAR pack, but the number can be set to whatever the people want. I like to do six because I feel like it’s closest to the sealed experience, and then compensate by drafting three packs of 13 cards (everyone still ends up with 45 total cards), or by giving each player 84 additional cards for their sealed pool (everyone still ends up with 90 total cards).

Method 1:

Separate six times the number of people playing planeswalkers from the cube, then randomly distribute them among the players. If drafting, this should be done before the draft so people can identify buildarounds and then draft accordingly. Planeswalkers don’t need to be removed from the residual card pool and can be distributed normally.

Method 2:

Separate six times the number of people playing planeswalkers from the cube, then rotisserie draft the planeswalkers separately. Note: this is time consuming so make sure everyone is okay with it. This can be done before or after the draft with differing results.

A modification would be to separate eight times the number of people playing planeswalkers from the cube, but add two “banning” rounds similar to DOTA. Instead of picking a planeswalker to add to their pool, players pick planeswalkers that are to be removed from the pool, so no one can pick them.

The two options I’ve experimented with the most are:

Two banning rounds happen first, then the six picking rounds.
One banning round, three picking rounds, one banning round, three picking rounds.

Whenever time permits and people are feeling it, we typically use Method 2 with two banning rounds (round 1 and round 5) prior to drafting.

Post will be modified with any additional ideas.

Card Stories and musings (will be filled out as they happen/as I remember):

Ever since this card was printed, this has been one of my pet cards. I put it in most of my commander decks, including the mono-colored ones. Bonder's Ornament was one of the first cards I put in the cube list because I just love this card.

Friend: Yeah, I knew Domri was going to wheel because Maccy's the only person in those colors and Bonder's Ornament was also in the pack.

Friend 1: Is Siege Rhino in the cube?
Me: No
Friend 1: Why not, it's a sick card?

Friend 2: Is Siege Rhino in the cube?
Friend 2: Didn't you pull a foil one? Why isn't it in the cube?

Friend 3: Did you put Siege Rhino in the cube?
Friend 3: How am I supposed to relive the good old days?

Next cube night
Me: Before anyone asks, Siege Rhino has been put in the cube
Everyone: cheers

Friend: One day I'll get Yidaro onto the field...
Me: You've had enough mana to cast it for the past three turns...
Friend: Yeah, one day I'll get him on the field...

Friend: Joke's on you, I always play 60 card goodstuff.

Friend 1 activates Liliana, the Last Hope -7
Friend 2: Maccy, get the camera, I want this recorded for posterity (I did not record it).

Friend: Anyone have cell phone service?
Following that incident, I now have a printed copy in the cube container

Friend: I cast Risk Factor
Me: I'll take the 4
Friend: You sure? You're at 6 life
Me: Seeing the Irencrag Pyromancer and Niv-Mizzet, Parun on his field Yeah I'm sure.
(Note: Niv-Mizzet, Parun has been replaced with Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind since then due to less restrictive casting costs)

Me: Chapter 3, my creatures gain deathtouch.
Friend: Note to self, your creatures have deathtouch.
I go through precombat main phase actions
Me: I swing with Pollenbright Druid
Friend: I block with God-Eternal Kefnet
Me: uhhhh wanna take that back?
Friend: Oh wait shoot... nah I deserve this... I even said it just after you said it. (xd)

Last edited:
Love this format for card stories, super cute and fun!

Thank you! This makes me very happy. I hope to use the platform to log a story cycle about the cards in the cube, and eventually hope to have cards be a part of at least one.

Cool writeup and great ideas! What's the story behind the name Black Lagoon?

Thank you for the kind words. Admittedly, the name Black Lagoon is rather arbitrary and for my own use; usually people refer to it as "Maccy's Cube".

It's named Black Lagoon after the manga/anime series. When WAR came out, I frequently heard people refer to it as Infinity War, but just the MTG version and I was going to use that at first internally, but it didn't sit 100% with me as the overall factions felt more rigid in terms of who's "good" or "bad" while failing to capture the nuances that may lead to a certain group of planeswalkers who were just fighting one job ago, but who are now allied due to circumstances.

Black Lagoon takes place in a city (Roanapur) inhabited by multiple factions who somewhat maintain an uneasy balance of power. The city is filled with mercenaries, and for some jobs they may end up teaming up with individuals they were just fighting against for a previous job. I felt that viewing the planeswalkers as mercenaries who work together for a certain fight was more appropriate in explaining why certain characters who would be considered enemies would end up working together in the same deck. I highly recommend the series, but it's definitely a darker and heavier series.

I finally somewhat figured out how to post some sample decks (if anyone has a better method, please let me know).

1694663605529.png

Me: I tap Jegantha for WUBRG and bestow Chromanticore onto Siege Rhino
Friend: I'd scoop but I kinda wanna see what happens next
Me: I feel like I just had a lifechanging experience... (it was probably an endorphin rush)

A 5-color deck with the defining cards being Jegantha, Chromanticore, and Siege Rhino. The initial plan was to go Abzan based on the first initial picks (Path to the World Tree, Bonder's Ornament, Siege Rhino), but after seeing Jegantha in pack 2, decided to go for it because why not; I would mainly just be giving up Council's Judgement and Ravenous Chupacabra. I got lucky with a Chromanticore later on in that pack and opening Omnath, Locus of Creation in pack 3. If it weren't for Jegantha, I would have probably stayed mainly Abzan, but I would have likely still have added at least an island and a mountain to try to be able to activate Kyodai, Soul of Kamigawa. Honestly, I would have still tried to run Chromanticore because the emotional payoff of casting it successfully would have outweighed the gameplay negative of it being dead in my hand.

This deck is a good example of the deckbuilding I'd like to encourage: seeing a group of cards and going for it because the cube allows for the support. The deck is definitely a grindy goodstuff deck rather than an archetype-driven deck, but it was drafted based on the idea of running Jegantha as a companion and with the two defining creatures being Chromanticore and Siege Rhino.

1694664026751.png

Me: How much health do you have?
Friend 1: 19
Friend 2: Seems like you haven't really made any progress
Me: I'll do this, this, this, this, this, and swinging for 26
Friend 2: wait what?

Jund aggro deck with a sacrifice subtheme. The key players were Domri, Anarch of Bolas, Zariel, Archduke of Avernus, Chandra, Acolyte of Flame, Radha's Firebrand, and Spawn of Mayhem.

To be honest, I didn't have high hopes for this deck initially. Prior to this, I have not seen an aggro deck work well in the cube. The fastest decks tended to be some sort of midrange. I straight up told everyone that I wasn't feeling this deck and that I bustered out this draft. Oh boy, was everyone in for a rude awakening.

This deck straight up ran over the decks it faced:

Round 1: Esper control. I chalked it up due to a bad matchup where aggro was favored.
Round 2: Jeskai drawing/spellslinging. After winning this matchup pretty easily, I realized that this deck was actually good.
Round 3: Temur midrange, splashing white for Omnath, Locus of Creation. Closest match. At one point, opponent flashed in Surrak Dragonclaw and I thought the game was over after opponent turned it sideways, but then I topdecked Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why did I include this deck? The deck humbled me. When I built the cube initially, I had a preconceived notion was that it was a slower cube, and I frequently told it to the drafters. This preconceived notion was due to the thoughts and experiences I had while building the cube and was based more on theorycrafting than actual gameplay. This probably led to the players opting towards drafting more grindy, value-oriented decks and the metagame settling towards that type of playstyle. It took a draft where I was essentially forced to play a rushdown deck to realize the place and benefit of aggro in the cube.

The lesson I learned? Theorycrafting can't beat playing actual games with actual people. If it weren't for this deck, I would have de-emphasized aggro in the cube because I had previously found it not contributing to the environment and the aggro slots could be repurposed. Instead, the deck caused a paradigm shift where now people are more willing to draft faster decks, and the overall metagame is more diverse because of it.