Blacksmithy's Cube

Hmm, maybe if he put any artifact on top instead of into hand...
Although tbh i can foresee situations where i would be willing to use the ability as-is just to shuffle. But man that text is awkward.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Lotus Cobra, Tarmogoyf, or Wall of Blossoms. Seems like you got a lot of two-drops and just a few three-drops for a color that wants to play a mana dork on turn 1.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I don't like Tarmogoyf in cube. I never understand what he is supposed to do. Some undercosted beater? I can never justify putting in a deck. The only time I have ever used it was in some RG Domri beats deck. Even there it felt average.

A couple of my drafters love using Goyf in their graveyard decks alongside looters or Tasigur. I like that he has pseudo-prowess in the early game when used alongside instants and sorceries. But yeah, eventually his dollar value will outweigh his cube-fun value, and he'll get cut. He's not anywhere near the top of my Green section.

Onderzee: my ORI adds and cuts are now up. The 2-drop bottleneck is something I tried to address in this set of changes, cuz I hate that Green has more two-drops than any other color!

(But you're mad if you think I'm cutting Cobra or Wall, mate! <3)

Lotus Cobra, Tarmogoyf, or Wall of Blossoms. Seems like you got a lot of two-drops and just a few three-drops for a color that wants to play a mana dork on turn 1.

this is fallacious, imo. The games where a green deck has a mana dork on turn 1, pretty much any three-drop (or a two- and one- together) is going to make that tempo leap for you. Without all that many dorks to play on turn one the green deck should consciously draft twos to have non-dork strong openings. With 5 one-drop dorks and 91 three-drops in a 450 list...

e: also tarmogoyf is a remarkably interesting card and not straightforwardly 'good', which is why you could get $20 playsets for a while in standard. It thrives off of attrition and is a cheap threat that grows over time for no mana, but instead of caring about spells or lands it wants players interacting with each other proactively.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
(But you're mad if you think I'm cutting Cobra or Wall, mate! <3)
Hey, you're asking us for advise, I would cut one of those personally, but you're free to ignore my opinion :p

@safra: I fail to see how my reasoning is fallacious. I'm not asking him to remove all his two-drops after all. He had 9 or 10 two-drops (creatures) in his cube, and only 4 three-drops. As a green player, I'm always annoyed when I can't curve out perfectly with my mana dorks. If you're dropping a mana elf you're generally not being aggressive, so a one-drop and a two-drop aren't particularly likely what I want to be casting off a mana elf, I want to skip along the curve and cast a three-drop on turn two. So, when there's this much of a discrepancy, where there's more than 2 times as much two-drops as three-drops, I'm going to focus on that if he asks for a cut to add in a three-drop :)

Sorry Onder, I am grateful for the input! But I love those cards, you lovely submarine captain!

Actually I love like every card in my green section and it makes cuts SO HARD. It's a problem. I'm a green card hoarder.

Rasmus, I think part of what you may have encountered is that UW seems to be the most commonly drafted color pair on my CT, so the good fixing and removal in those colors may tend to be scarcer.
I just went up to 5 duals per guild, but maybe that's not enough for 450...
As far as removal, here's my numbers by color:
White
Repeatable tapping—1
Oring/Fetters/Absent removal—5
Exile/Kill spells—5
Wraths/Geddons—5
Total 16

Blue
Bounce—8
Counter—8
Other—3
Total 19

Black
Targeted Discard—3
Targeted Kill—10
Wraths and Forced Sacs—4
Total 17

...Not the numbers I was expecting. Why is my Blue section so angry?

Okay, I want to fit Otherwordly Journey in here... But i have no idea what to cut! I think it needs to be either a creature or Decree of Justice. Idk.

I was thinking

myself, for two reasons:
1. My White section is already loaded with creatures (I think actually more than green if you count token producers)
2. I run a similar-but-better token generator in Secure the Wastes (Secure is better at nearly every realistic point on the curve and has synergy with my WB Warrior tribal theme)
I know that Elspeth is GRBS (and I love her anyway), but... Why cut Armageddon?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I was thinking

myself, for two reasons:
1. My White section is already loaded with creatures (I think actually more than green if you count token producers)
2. I run a similar-but-better token generator in Secure the Wastes (Secure is better at nearly every realistic point on the curve and has synergy with my WB Warrior tribal theme)
I know that Elspeth is GRBS (and I love her anyway), but... Why cut Armageddon?

Which you should

Armageddon is swingy. Regardless of how powerful it is in practice, it's just frustrating to play against a card that stops you from doing anything

Lemme poll my regulars and see if they like Geddon. I don't know if it's ever been cast, which is mind-boggling.
New question: If you had to cut one White creature, which would it be?

Geddon is miserable to play against, and winning with it isn't much fun either. Why would you play with card that stop people having fun?

Having said that, your reasoning for decree of justice is sound.

I finally have a ULD pile! Made it last night after finding some matching sleeves. To begin with, I'm moving all utility lands out of the cube except the 5-color fixers/fetches, thus beefing up my ULD with goodies like Mutavault. Then, I filled in with some lands I had laying around, plus a cycle of cycling lands and 4 each of Cloudpost and Glimmerpost, for a total of 30:
New Benalia
Flagstones of Trokair
Halimar Depths
Faerie Conclave
Bojuka Bog
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Keldon Megaliths
Smoldering Spires
Treetop Village
Llanowar Reborn

Mutavault
Mishra's Factory
Buried Ruin
Radiant Fountain
Mage-Ring Network
Tectonic Edge
Rogue's Passage

My usual playgroup is 6, so I'd like to give everyone 4 land picks by the end of deckbuilding.