Blacksmithy's Squad Goals Cube

I'm gonna reserve this post for the future, but also, I should mention that this is not a project I ever plan to make into an actual paper Cube. The purpose of the thread is mostly just to publicize the CT list so that others can enjoy the utter silliness that results from a hyper-condensed Cube format. And who knows? Maybe you too will get a silly idea by looking at the CT page. I suggest drinking heavily while doing CT drafts, to aid the creative juices.

if anyone (i include myself, maybe?) refines this to a 360 I'm totally gonna print it as a second cube for my Constructed die-hards who love metadecking. Seems like a solvable environment, at least short-term until the meta shifts. The comparison I wanted to make here was triple Innistrad draft, which, uh, seems like a nice plaudit for ten minutes' work!

Thanks! I'm glad you are already enjoying this.
10 minutes is probably an embellished version of events, but actually picking the cards was not a long process. After all there's only 13 per color.
And yes, it probably is super solvable. My best guess is that Hangarback Walker will never, ever, ever table.
If I were to cut it to 360... Hmm. It needs to drop 55 cards, yeah? So maybe one from each color (cuts 20), then back the artifacts off to 4x per slot (cuts 10), then drop the tribrids, since they're the only singletons already (cuts 5)... Ah crap my math was off. Not sure where to lose the last 20. It's a tight list.
Double edit: Duh just cut the guild spells to singletons (cuts 20)

Thanks! I'm glad you are already enjoying this.
10 minutes is probably an embellished version of events, but actually picking the cards was not a long process. After all there's only 13 per color.
And yes, it probably is super solvable. My best guess is that Hangarback Walker will never, ever, ever table.
If I were to cut it to 360... Hmm. It needs to drop 55 cards, yeah? So maybe one from each color (cuts 20), then back the artifacts off to 4x per slot (cuts 10), then drop the tribrids, since they're the only singletons already (cuts 5)... Ah crap my math was off. Not sure where to lose the last 20. It's a tight list.
Double edit: Duh just cut the guild spells to singletons (cuts 20)

I'd like to see a few more tribrids actually, they're so permissive for guild decks

more counterspells? LD? fuck, maybe I'll do something with this after Jason's project.

Okay so on the way home from work I had the idea to make a power-max version of the squad cube. I mean i know mtgs kind of has had the lockdown on powermaxing, but not for long. I mean have you ever seen a cube with FOUR BLACK LOTUSES before? Yeah, neither has anyone, because it didn't exist. Until tonight. I am on my phone, but i have the list. I'll post it tomorrow. You'll all love it, oh yes, oh yes... And then Riptide Lab will have claim to the most power-maxed cube in existence.
KING IN THE NORTH!

This is actually a really interesting concept, and maybe its just becasue I'm tired from hours of EE prototyping, but I think we have on our hands a really, really interesting way to generate cube lists.

You can rapidly create a 360 enviornment by choosing 6 cards: a W, U, B, R, G and a colorless card, then multiply by 53. Add the classic 2xFetch, 2xShocks + 2Wastelands and BAM you're at 360.

How good is this envioronment? Probably shit, because it lacks depth and counterplay. You're basically gaurenteed to see the same decks over and over because there are only so many ways to pair these few cards together, and everyone sees the same sets of cards. So we need to introduce counterpicks.

Each of your 6 original cards probably has some sort of counterpick to it. A card that it simple loses to. As an example: Liliana.dec is hard-countered by Loxodon Smiter. SavannaLions.dec can't beat Izzet Staticaster. So you find 6 "counterpicks" and now your Cube consists awkwardly of 27x of "original" cards, 26x of "counters", and lands. Depeding on how strong your counters are, they may push the original picks out of the meta entirely. Ideally, they're strong against their inteneded targets but weak to what their targets are strong against. If you couldn't tell, we're building a rock-paper-sisscors environment.

What would be interesting is, say we take CubeTutor's "average" 720 Cube (minus lands?), and we index every card into a network that maps that card's relationship to every other card in the cube. We tell a the program to select 6 of them at random. Then we tell it to find the six best counters (or maybe the 6 most "even matched" cards) to those picks, then to counterpick 12 cards based on the 12 cards, etc. until we get to having 128 enough unique cards ((360 - 40 lands) /2). This results in a Cube that's got some depth of play to it, and is probably running 2x or 3x or even 4x ofs, depending on how many unique cards we want.

After generating a playable rough draft, we as the human designers can tweak the list according to our preferences to make it draft smoothly and correct obvious flaws.

I don't know if making such a card network would be feasable, given how unique Magic cards are, but if that could be done, we'd have something really cool on our hands.

Yeah, I'm thinking about upping the size a tad to put in Brain Freeze, Tendrils, and Grapeshot. Any suggestions for what to add in White and Green?

Ummmmmmmm
BoP is a creature?
Honestly that's like the only reason, you caught me XD
I wanted a mana dork in Green but it might not be necessary?
Also, I felt like the Moxen were kind of a trap and/or one mana rock too many when you've already got 4 lotus and 4 sol ring kicking around the draft. I might be wrong about that too.
I am thinking about this a lot for something that is at least partially a self-parody XD

Hehehehehe maybe. But then however shall i cast balance?
EDIT: i also just realized that monastery mentor is kind of a storm creature. So white's safe. But green... It's just so FAIR

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean normally I'd just say Utopia, but Clearly driving down life totals makes gameplay more interesting :p

Who was that guy who had the combo cube again? Kranny? Check that out for ideas

I don't know if making such a card network would be feasible, given how unique Magic cards are, but if that could be done, we'd have something really cool on our hands.

Holy shit its been years since I posted this, just stumbled across it again and wow, what an interesting idea. I realize I've essentially described word2vec but with Magic cards instead of words, and I didn't know about word2vec back in 2015, lol.