Sets [C14] Commander 2014 Spoilers

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Man I am way more disappointed than I thunked by these walkerz
I think expecting these to be exciting in cube and balanced as commanders at the same time is pretty unrealistic. The resource management game is vastly different in both environments, so there's a big difference between what is good in a 2-player draft game (Thoughtseize) and a multiplayer commander game (Plague Wind).

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
unstableobelisk.jpg

okay i think i like this a lot

dualcastermage.jpg

this might be one mana too much, but the option to copy your opponent's spells helps a bit

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Think about all those spells snapcaster copies, then think about how awesome it would be if you didn't need to pay mana for them or even have the play them in your deck.

Having a fork that gives you a dude without a RR casting cost would be been an eternal superstud.

what's wrong with Hornet Queen?

Mark doesn't like it, as 6 flying power in green, which is supposed to be the worst color at it. He said they 'snuck it in' to the m15 file when he was done with it.

And slapping in a reprint is pretty different than a new design for them- new cards get flashed around and tested endlessly (in the wrong ways, likely)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Flesh Carver - 2B

Creature - Human Wizard
Intimidate
1B, Sacrifice another creature: Put two +1/+1 counters on Flesh Carver.
When Flesh Carver dies, put an X/X black Horror creature token onto the battlefield, where where X is Flesh Carver's power.

2/2

Malicious Affliction - BB

Instant
Morbid — When you cast Malicious Affliction, if a creature died this turn, you may copy Malicious Affliction and may choose a new target for the copy.
Destroy target nonblack creature.

There certainly is some power level here. While sac outlets that cost 2 mana are normally nothing to talk about, throwing intimidate a growing threat that leaves behind a potentially massive token seems to make it worthwhile. Not sure if I want to run this, or file it away with ophiomancer is obnoxiously pushed 3 mana black creature.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
As much as I like Maro's work, and his strict policing of the colour pie, I'm also glad that the other designers and developers are finding ways to sneak things past or through him once in a while. A little bit of colour bleed every now and then is probably not going to be the thing that breaks Magic; for my money, I think Phyrexian mana was closer to breaking stuff than any of the hornet themed cards.

Well...I like the 3 mana sac outlet. Idc if it costs 2 mana to activate, I like it!

Idk if there's much else I like though...

The 7 mana demon that kills anything & makes zombies is cool. It's like they said "LET'S MAKE IT DO ALL THE BLACK THINGS!!! ZOMBIES, KILLING STUFF, BEING A DEMON! YEAAAAA!"

Two great black top end spells and an amazing removal spell fuck.
Now I wana tutor for coffers more often.

I cannot wait to cast necromancy or mannequin that demon mid combat.

So is there gonna be some "7 mana cool control bomb" creature cycle?

Cuz "EVERYTHING ATTACKS 5EVER" dragon has me a bit aggravated if that's the only new dragon they're releasing in this.

This looks like a lot of fun.

Titania, Protector of Argoth {3}{G}{G}
Legendary Creature - Elemental

When Titania, Protector of Argoth enters the battlefield, return target land card from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Whenever a land you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a 5/3 Elemental creature token onto the battlefield.

5/3

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
This looks like a lot of fun.

Titania, Protector of Argoth {3}{G}{G}
Legendary Creature - Elemental

When Titania, Protector of Argoth enters the battlefield, return target land card from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Whenever a land you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a 5/3 Elemental creature token onto the battlefield.

5/3