Sets [C14] Commander 2014 Spoilers

I had turn two Lotus Cobra, turn three fetchland, Titania, into Knight of the Reliquary tonight. She always made one guy and a couple times made more. It was a pretty good showing for her first night in cube. Dualcaster Mage was also good, it copied DTT against me and my teammate had it later in the night and copied Treasure Cruise.
Sunder sound hilarious with double lotus cobra in your cube.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Swapped this guy in, took out my second Blade Splicer. Looks promising, I love the idea of wrath protection/sac synergy/self mill/pod all coalescing here

I'm giving her a shot. Blows out pod, sweet with flickerwisp, decent body etc. Would probably be stronger if I had cards like reanimate/tooth and nail, but meh

Not actually sure blue deserves this, but my playgroup basically demanded I add it. Super cool :D

Sac outlet, evasion, and worst case is xathrid necromancer. Super excited about this guy

I kinda always wanted something like beast within, but it's drawback was way too big. High hopes

In my main cube I added.
I already have a high amount of Artifact manipulation including
so these 2 along with
add a whole new colour for the deck to play around with and Daretti and Feldon are good for Reanimator at a push too.

has replaced Beast Within, I'm not sure that Green needs much removal and this is certainly better.

should work out well with the tokens/recursive creatures, so has been put in for now.

I'm actually a little worried about flesh carver's power level. Can become a removal check on turn 4 if you curve into it.

I agree that I don't think blue deserves reef worm, it should be a black or green creature that can't block or something, so you have to sac it or make it fight to grow it. As-is it's just a weird, green-feeling standstill

I actually skipped over creeperhulk, and I don't think it's bad but it might be too good. Wolfir Silverheart syndrome- just ends the game if unanswered.

Why warmonger hellkite? Moonveil Dragon + Fumiko the lowblood? I actually tested Fumiko and it was a pretty interesting finisher in a creature-heavy environment. They have to attack with their 1/3s and such, letting you in for far more.

I'm also weary of comeuppance- no planning or setup involved, you just (likely) plague wind your opponent. At least things like angel of the dire hour cost a bunch to rail your opponent.

I'm actually a little worried about flesh carver's power level. Can become a removal check on turn 4 if you curve into it.

I agree that I don't think blue deserves reef worm, it should be a black or green creature that can't block or something, so you have to sac it or make it fight to grow it. As-is it's just a weird, green-feeling standstill

I actually skipped over creeperhulk, and I don't think it's bad but it might be too good. Wolfir Silverheart syndrome- just ends the game if unanswered.

Why warmonger hellkite? Moonveil Dragon + Fumiko the lowblood? I actually tested Fumiko and it was a pretty interesting finisher in a creature-heavy environment. They have to attack with their 1/3s and such, letting you in for far more.

I'm also weary of comeuppance- no planning or setup involved, you just (likely) plague wind your opponent. At least things like angel of the dire hour cost a bunch to rail your opponent.

Reef Worm probably won't last very long, but it looks like it could be fun in the short-term with all the sacking synergy.

I had the same thought about Creeperhulk, and I do run Wolfy, so it seems worth testing. Not as much of a removal check with a greater emphasis on "don't let me untap with a bunch of little dudes."

Warmonger Hellkite. Both abilities are pretty decent separately, but together they are serious business. It seems like a potentially terrifying finisher.

I agree that Comeuppance might be too good/unfun. At least it's easier to play around than wrath.

Anyone wana gimme a rundown on that demon walker?

As far as I can tell he's very throwaway. You plop down a 5/5 flier and because he's only at 1 loyalty your opponent crashes in. So you cash in with super value blocks. The embodiment of the planeswalker problem, but leaves a huge/huge evasive body. He's very boring and one-dimensional IMO; black isn't exactly planeswalker city but I think anything else is more interesting.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
His play pattern feels like it might be similar to Sarkhan the Mad, but without requiring you to put in the token effort of laying down some bodies first. At the same time, he feels more interesting than Bloodgift Demon, who looks great on paper but has never really impressed in reality. Who knows, I might give him a shot at some point. As Goldenpineapple mentions, he imparts a sense of urgency on your opponent, at least.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Sarkhan the Mad definitely has big upsides, though, as he can deal 10 damage the second turn he's out and can get insane if you happen to have a dragon in hand. Its a much more interesting card. Ob's +2 is massively underrated, most people calling it "a blank", which it clearly isn't, but it is a pretty boring ability. Ob reminds me a lot of Baneslayer Angel, in that its a boring card, but the power potential is just so huge it covers up its boringness with "OMG this game just got intense", even though nothing actually got any more interesting.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member

Did either of you guys end up trying Creeperhulk? From the beginning, I've always run either Overrun or Overwhelming Stampede, but tonight, despite its name, Stampede was underwhelming. The games I was losing, I was having trouble keeping bodies on the board, and the last thing I needed was a narrow finisher rotting in my hand. I'm thinking that this five drop might provide an analogous effect, but stapled onto a body, making him more versatile in situations where you just need a creature to stick.

CML

Contributor

notes:

haven't actually played with landscape, obelisk, or comeuppance yet -- obelisk and landscape probably too bad
malicious affliction maybe too good
dualcaster mage and feldon both super-sweet. feldon isn't all that close to OP because he costs an arm and a leg, is conditional etc. he's basically an appropriate mimic vat
spoils probably too bad
hellkite meh
song of the dryads is definitely quite bad

most of the cards in this set, as with many new releases, don't pass muster for a high-power cube so i return to the same thought i always have, which is that someone should make a mid-power-level cube that doesn't suffer from the whole peasant-rochester "everything is the same" syndrome.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I would say it's pretty inefficient (like Beast Within) compared to removal in other colors, but in green I think I'ld rather have "bad" removal than no removal. Utopia Vow is a pretty decent limited card, and Song is vastly better I would think.

Song of the dryads seems like mono green vindicate / path. Any permanent, sorcery speed, 3 cc, but leaves them a land instead of nothing. I'll agree that a pacifism that leaves a land is meh, but turning their planeswalker, game-grinder like Meloku/Keranos or troublesome manland into a forest? Sounds great to me.

Anybody else here played it?

I have. It felt just fine. I'm not sure what CML is talking about.

It feels less color pie breaking than Beast Within for what it's worth. There's an interesting tension between taking out a threat now and ramping your opponent. Plus, there's always the chance the creature gets bounced or flickered, which I'll admit is more of a white thing, but I think green can use the effect too.

CML

Contributor
Am I the only one who doesn't like breaking the color pie in cube? (Though I'll admit, I have a soft spot for chaos warp)

i kind of like sticking my dick in the american color pie. psionic blast will always be welcome in my cube. i dunno maybe song is fine, im going based on a small impression and usually keep cards like that around for another spin or two so y'all might be right

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh man, I played with Feldon of the Third Path today. That card is soooo sweet! "Reassemble" Sun Titan, retun Blasting Station, sacrifice Mind Stone pre-combat, attack. Aw yesss!

Sidenote: I kind of hate Sun Titan being a 6/6 vigilance. It's such a massive wall in combat. The effect is soooo sweet though.