Sets [C15] Commander 2015 Spoiler Thread

http://mythicspoiler.com/c15/
let's go ahead and get started

kalemnediscipleofiroas.jpg

Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas {2}{R}{W}
Legendary Creature - Giant Soldier
Double strike, vigilance
Whenever you cast a creature spell with conerted mana cost 5 or greater, you get an experience counter.
~ gets +1/+1 for each experience counter you have.
3/3

Aoret

Developer
I like that it's a double strike guy in colors that want that. I don't like how it has basically 0 play to it and is just generically good. What does this want me to do? Attack and block with it and... curve out by playing more guys?

Ajani Vengeant isn't really that much better, but at least I can make mistakes with AJ V or something.

It's late, maybe I'm just being a party pooper.

Nah I'm not big on it either, just a boring beater and way too dull value for me, esp with that art (snooze)
I have a huge crush on double strike and first strike, too, so this is extra sad for me to see and not be thrilled by
Hopefully the other new cards will provide us with some gems tho
Also that name, what even. Kalemne???
I mean I know Kale is supposed to be a Super Food, but jeez
Is it wordplay? Kill me = Kale me? or is she the Kale Meanie?? Will she bully me into eating kale?? What is the story here
(it is late for me too excuse me and goodnight)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also that name, what even. Kalemne???
I mean I know Kale is supposed to be a Super Food, but jeez
Is it wordplay? Kill me = Kale me? or is she the Kale Meanie?? Will she bully me into eating kale?? What is the story here
(it is late for me too excuse me and goodnight)
Kalemne is Greek for chisels. It's a "Theros" card after all.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I hope with this 'counters on a player' mechanic they bring back proliferate.

It is such a great mechanic, and it needs to be on a white card to help support the millennium falcon.
More red support would be sweet too, as something other than volt charge would be a nice option.

In regards to Kalemne, seems a little too generic. Hooray, another voltron-esque commander! I love generic beats!
You aren't going to shift me from Brion any time soon (Just got to throw all my troubles away).

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Someone convince me that the experience counters aren't extremely inelegant. Why could we not just give it +1/+1 counters directly.

This card is straight outta the Brimaz school of design.

Someone convince me that the experience counters aren't extremely inelegant. Why could we not just give it +1/+1 counters directly.

something something other cards interacting with experience counters
something something commander command zone replay card with same amount of counters

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member

It is so it can keep the buffs when it dies and gets recasted from the command zone.

To be honest, I think it probably a more elegant way than the last time they did it on Skullbriar. It is hard to shuffle a card into your library with counters on it.

Also, because why not:
QS5BzB8.jpg

i think it's more likely that experience counters are a mechanical thing they will focus on in some form or another in these decks

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Is it explicitly stated somewhere that experience counters stay on? I figure there will be some interactions, but...

Anybody else always get the feeling that most of these commander cards feel "fake"? They don't seem to follow the same quality control standards as cards from other sets.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Commander cards always feel fake. EDH and commander are different in the same way Portal and Portal 2 are. The second one is designed with multiplayer in mind, but the levels feel really about finding the intended solution rather than exploration and experimentation.

I guess the idea is to solve the problem of having your commander killed after you've gone to the trouble of powering it up? I don't know, I never thought that was a particularly bad aspect of commander given you can always re-cast it and buff it again, but I don't have a voltron-style commander deck so perhaps I'm wrong. It does feel a bit like the Wizards design philosophy of "players don't like this thing, so we'll try and work around it" which ends up with inelegant designs and a lack of interactivity.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
en_fuAvaxRz0L.png

This looks awesome! Cheaper than Lava Axe, deals more damage, and has added utility! Oh, and apperently it's a cycle. Can't wait to see what the rest does.

en_B0O6oNn7A6.png

This is quite interesting. Repeatable pump even!

en_wMMkFuNmJ5.png

Cute build-around or does this get out of control too fast?