General CBS

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sovereign's Realm + Fastbond + Zuran Orb = infinite life + play your hand? That seems fair!

Well, once you subtract out Fastbond, Zuran Orb and the card you exile, you have a 2 card hand. And a free, guaranteed spell every turn thereafter.

Also any X burn spells should be lethal.

Become a god and recreate the gamestate at your will. Want to feel like you were actually part of the 2000 World Championship between Finkel and Maher during the final turns? Now you can! With only a few easy steps, you'll be shaking in your boots, facing down a Phyrexian Colossus and Voltaic Key (just like Bob Maher!).

"But," you exclaim, " won't my opponent lose interest and concede halfway through?" Ah, yes, but what your opponent doesn't realize is that you played an Abyssal Persecutor long ago, preventing such cowardly abandonment. Grip them by their collar, pull them close and remind them, "We're in this together, now."

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Become a god and recreate the gamestate at your will. Want to feel like you were actually part of the 2000 World Championship between Finkel and Maher during the final turns? Now you can! With only a few easy steps, you'll be shaking in your boots, facing down a Phyrexian Colossus and Voltaic Key (just like Bob Maher!).

"But," you exclaim, " won't my opponent lose interest and concede halfway through?" Ah, yes, but what your opponent doesn't realize is that you played an Abyssal Persecutor long ago, preventing such cowardly abandonment. Grip them by their collar, pull them close and remind them, "We're in this together, now."

Can we give this man some kind of award? XD

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Can we give this man some kind of award? XD

qhnwmyq.png

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That looks super fun. Can we talk about metallurgic summons and dynavault tower, both of which I've been thinking about recently. how are they? Who has experience of them? How many bolts do you usually get off tower?

How good is proliferate with energy? Presumably pretty marginal?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That looks super fun. Can we talk about metallurgic summons and dynavault tower, both of which I've been thinking about recently. how are they? Who has experience of them? How many bolts do you usually get off tower?

How good is proliferate with energy? Presumably pretty marginal?
In the right cube both are pretty fantastic, as showcased in the above deck. I mean, I played an AI, but I was under a lot of pressure in that screenshot above. Summonings and Tower scraped out a win because I could shoot down an unblockable attacker and deploy a key blocker at instant speed (which is really nice against sorcery speed removal). I think the Tower shot down three targets in that game.

Also, Fevered Visions was much better than I anticipated :)

Proliferate with energy is cute. The Volt Charge does let you use the Tower after only two instants, which is pretty nice. Thrummingbird is insane with energy cards :)

EDIT: ALSO HOLY CRAP CHASM SKULKER IS A HORROR!!! BFF WITH THING IN THE ICE!!!

Which card do you dislike the most in an average cube? Let's say non-powered. I nominate:

Too generically powerful, good all the time, and it doesn't really have a whole lot of interesting play to it. You just plop it down on the board ASAP. It's a finisher that doesn't really finish the game. It grinds everything to a halt and the opponent either gets pecked to death or loses everything in the air. I hate this card.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

This card is the worst of the Swords, and it has three things I distinctly dislike about it.

1. It's an artifact that is generally more powerful than most of the colored cards in a pack, often making it the correct p1p1 from the booster it's in. I like it when a powerful card commits you to a color, I don't like it when a powerful card leaves you completely open.
2. It gives protection to two colors. This sword actually grants the least impactful protection of all the swords, but I still hate permanent protection because it's a) super non-interactive, and b) screws over some opponents much harder than others.
3. It mills for a ridiculous amount in limited games. Three hits is all you need to win, which makes it a faster clock than the usual path to victory (i.e. combat damage). If you're going to support an alternate win condition, at least let people work for it!

Which card do you dislike the most in an average cube? Let's say non-powered. I nominate:

Too generically powerful, good all the time, and it doesn't really have a whole lot of interesting play to it. You just plop it down on the board ASAP. It's a finisher that doesn't really finish the game. It grinds everything to a halt and the opponent either gets pecked to death or loses everything in the air. I hate this card.

I took it out of my cube, so I can hardly disagree.

The card that I see in a -lot- of cubes that frustrates me to no end is cabal therapy. I know that people run it for the sac effect, but at "BB; Sacrifice a creature: Target player discards a card" it's just so -bad.- Surely, surely there are sac effects that net you positive value, not negative value.

It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, currently.

This card is the worst of the Swords, and it has three things I distinctly dislike about it.

1. It's an artifact that is generally more powerful than most of the colored cards in a pack, often making it the correct p1p1 from the booster it's in. I like it when a powerful card commits you to a color, I don't like it when a powerful card leaves you completely open.
2. It gives protection to two colors. This sword actually grants the least impactful protection of all the swords, but I still hate permanent protection because it's a) super non-interactive, and b) screws over some opponents much harder than others.
3. It mills for a ridiculous amount in limited games. Three hits is all you need to win, which makes it a faster clock than the usual path to victory (i.e. combat damage). If you're going to support an alternate win condition, at least let people work for it!

On that same note: Ulamog, the ceaseless hunger. He's just so dumb in any 40 card format.

I took it out of my cube, so I can hardly disagree.

The card that I see in a -lot- of cubes that frustrates me to no end is cabal therapy. I know that people run it for the sac effect, but at "BB; Sacrifice a creature: Target player discards a card" it's just so -bad.- Surely, surely there are sac effects that net you positive value, not negative value.

It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, currently.

{B}{B}? You only pay the {B} once, unless you're referring to a Gravecrawler interaction.

I used to run it, and it was a lot of fun over here at 2 copies in a 360 played frequently in a small, fixed playgroup. But I think it needs a lot of boxes checked to be an actually fun, highly-playable card; Cabal Therapy does well if your list is more about TOL tutors, Peek effects, recursive bodies/tokens, and a "pressure-dynamic" that plays out towards mid-late game choke-outs. These are all asks far larger than the average cube really wants to respond to, as they tailor towards a specifically Riptidian dynamic that isn't even very well-represented in our current-day cube structures. You'd have to have a completely puerile, facetious approach to cube design to bother with trying to enable such a niche interaction repeatedly and successfully, which is probably why I was the only one here to actually do it with any modicum of success (and then, shortly thereafter, I just moved on from it completely :rolleyes: ).