General CBS

Story-wise, it was pretty good considering what he's referring to. After he rekt the Gatewatch and nearly drowned Gideon to death, he released Kozilek from his slumber and Zendikar should have been doomed. But then plot armor ensues and Zendikar is saved by a group of planeswalkers who can apparently handle TWO COSMIC GODLY HORRORS with no issues. Oh, and they somehow jump Ob Nixilis and beat him up which makes no sense because this battle happened in the span of hours, not days.

A perfect example of lovecraftian horror done wrong. That's probably why I didn't like the Battle for Zendikar block and eldrazis in general.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The issue does tend to be the classic DND thing: If you stat it, they will kill it.
No matter how big, no matter how indestructible, now matter how over the top, it's still mortal if it's on a card

The issue being: the big 3 are the face of this whole set. Wotc Marketing was centered around them, if they were missing from the set they'd kick themselves at all the lost profit.

This makes a lot more sense in original zendikar, with it's more DnD type setting where they were just the next monster to be killed.

The issue does tend to be the classic DND thing: If you stat it, they will kill it.
No matter how big, no matter how indestructible, now matter how over the top, it's still mortal if it's on a card

The issue being: the big 3 are the face of this whole set. Wotc Marketing was centered around them, if they were missing from the set they'd kick themselves at all the lost profit.

This makes a lot more sense in original zendikar, with it's more DnD type setting where they were just the next monster to be killed.

I think this is interesting. What would a card that doesn't have stats or can't be killed look like? It could make for some horrible gameplay and might be impossible to do right but I wonder what it would look like to have a giant immovable mass be represented in card form.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think this is interesting. What would a card that doesn't have stats or can't be killed look like? It could make for some horrible gameplay and might be impossible to do right but I wonder what it would look like to have a giant immovable mass be represented in card form.

Something unkillable wouldn't be a card. (OG Urza)

...with the added text: "When Eternal Scourge becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, or when Eternal Scourge dies, exile Eternal Scourge.

You may cast Eternal Scourge from exile."

That seems more like "immortal eldrazi" flavor to me.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
oh BTW:
31.jpg

Awesome :D

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That's going to bite them in the back someday in the future, it's very unlikely that WotC won't use that name themselves eventually :)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, I don't see why it would be a problem. They just choose a different name for the card in italian, which they do whenever things don't translate smoothly. Pronunciation is different too.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Can't they? card uniqueness would be fine in each respective language

Oh sure, they will just use another name. But then people are going to be confused when they're talking about Veto, because, did you mean the Spanish Veto or the English Veto (yeah yeah, pronunciation and stuff).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There are already a couple cards with the exact same name in Spanish, but they are some stupid goblins no-one uses. Other funny translation mistakes include Jackal Familiar being printed as "can't attack or block" or the Gruul champion affecting opponents instead of players. Guess who won the Dragon's Maze prerelease (not me, I was on the wrong side of the table).

I remember a misprint from Kamigawa. What was it again, Oboro Envoy?

Haha, jackpot!