General CBS

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I played Keranos in a friend's cube. My friend's cube is ultra slow, so not surprisingly he was really good. I even turned him into a creature thanks to N. M. Dracogenius and Ral Zarek (I also had Staff of Nin on the table, so yeah, we're talking that level of slow). I still have serious doubts about him in a faster environment, but he was admittedly fun to have on the table.

CML

Contributor
"so stupid it drools" -- a conversation with local judge who fails to realize that the Riptide Cube is like the West coast; had it been discovered first, nobody would have ever moved to the East coast.

(after having a wizards employee over of draft the other day, said gentleman advocated for karakas in the main cube draft because 'it's ok if it just goes 14th,' proving he'd become as stupid as the people his set designs condescend to. this and the below confirmed my judgment that conventional cube design is pretty much dried-up in terms of what it has to offer us, both in specific card choices and design sophistries):

D: Still have repeats in the Cube?

C: I dunno does elvish mystic and llanowar elves count

D: Nope. And neither does fyndhorn elf or arbor elf.
D: But 14 ponders skews the games too hard bruh

C: OK I’ll rename the other ones
C: How about ‘contemplate’ and ‘mind tempest’ and ‘nativity draft group’

D: No need to accommodate me. But I won’t play it. Sorry man :)

C: No games have ever been skewed by sol ring

D: But at least it’s highlander. To each their own. I prefer the old school method that tom lapille and max mccall and all the old school cubed designers use.

C: Why

D: Because it’s a version of rotisserie. Highlighting the best cards in the game and the drafters ability to find synergy and efficient curves using the available, balanced pool of cards.

C: How is lotus balanced

D: Because there is only 1. And it’s a 20% chance to draw in your opener.

---

There's nothing really worth taking seriously here, and spending time exploding the obvious hypocrisies and instances of poor taste would be as bad as sinking to that level, but I did want to share this with y'all (most of whom forsake the broader Magic community) just to give y'all an idea of the prevailing culture surrounding Cube stuff

"so stupid it drools" -- a conversation with local judge who fails to realize that the Riptide Cube is like the West coast; had it been discovered first, nobody would have ever moved to the East coast.

(after having a wizards employee over of draft the other day, said gentleman advocated for karakas in the main cube draft because 'it's ok if it just goes 14th,' proving he'd become as stupid as the people his set designs condescend to. this and the below confirmed my judgment that conventional cube design is pretty much dried-up in terms of what it has to offer us, both in specific card choices and design sophistries):

D: Still have repeats in the Cube?

C: I dunno does elvish mystic and llanowar elves count

D: Nope. And neither does fyndhorn elf or arbor elf.
D: But 14 ponders skews the games too hard bruh

C: OK I’ll rename the other ones
C: How about ‘contemplate’ and ‘mind tempest’ and ‘nativity draft group’

D: No need to accommodate me. But I won’t play it. Sorry man :)

C: No games have ever been skewed by sol ring

D: But at least it’s highlander. To each their own. I prefer the old school method that tom lapille and max mccall and all the old school cubed designers use.

C: Why

D: Because it’s a version of rotisserie. Highlighting the best cards in the game and the drafters ability to find synergy and efficient curves using the available, balanced pool of cards.

C: How is lotus balanced

D: Because there is only 1. And it’s a 20% chance to draw in your opener.

---

There's nothing really worth taking seriously here, and spending time exploding the obvious hypocrisies and instances of poor taste would be as bad as sinking to that level, but I did want to share this with y'all (most of whom forsake the broader Magic community) just to give y'all an idea of the prevailing culture surrounding Cube stuff

I used to visit a particular image board site that would always host threads with the theme of "if you rage, you lose"...Now it honestly wasn't as much a game as it was just a way to re-assure yourself why it's hard to like people. I like to think that I've grown past those days of old and found the heart to understand that people are entitled to their opinions no matter how dumb. Well, I haven't. And this stands to remind me why I just can't bring myself to like most MtG players I meet.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Whenever I hear these snippets of Magic culture, I often try to envision them applying to other games and it always seems so ridiculous that I'm happy play with "people who play games" rather then "people who play Magic".

I actually went out to play Friday Night Magic last night and the people seemed nice enough, so maybe I'm being pessimistic.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
But seriously, if I set up a game of 1830 and gave myself an extra $50 and tried to justify with the excuse, "Its balanced because I'm the only one who gets the extra money and I might waste it anyway" I'd be laughed off the table.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
But seriously, if I set up a game of 1830 and gave myself an extra $50 and tried to justify with the excuse, "Its balanced because I'm the only one who gets the extra money and I might waste it anyway" I'd be laughed off the table.

This is basically how lotus feels :p

Though I guess their argument is that you more roll a dice to see who gets 50$, so it could be you next week!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I played an 800-card powered cube today, and it was about as uninteresting as you might expect. Any game where I resolved a Sol Ring or my opponent Strip Mined away a key land weren't really games. For as much time as I spent sitting in a chair with cards either in my hand or on the field, conversing with my opponent over a game state, and moving lands and creatures around to and fro, it felt like there was very little actual Magic being played. I either ran away with unchecked card advantage off the back of some unfair, unearned artifact acceleration, or my lands got nuked and I couldn't cast anything. At one point, I had a Chandra Nalaar, Ajani Vengeant, and Elspeth, Sun's Champion in play, and cast Tezzeret's Gambit to set up the two former planeswalkers to both be in position for ultimates next turn. Yet I didn't feel even a slight lick of excitement. I knew the game had been decided when a Sol Ring stared back at me from my opener.

But hey! People out there like this. So.. I guess it's doing something, for someone? Maybe?

CML

Contributor
I used to visit a particular image board site that would always host threads with the theme of "if you rage, you lose"...Now it honestly wasn't as much a game as it was just a way to re-assure yourself why it's hard to like people. I like to think that I've grown past those days of old and found the heart to understand that people are entitled to their opinions no matter how dumb. Well, I haven't. And this stands to remind me why I just can't bring myself to like most MtG players I meet.

he is a pretty sweet dude, he just has terrible taste in cube and is completely unaware of it

i actually have more i can transcribe here because i ate an adderall earlier and am salty about scg "states"

D: Does your cube still have 7 birthing pods?
C: nope
D: Does it have either one or zero?
C: not sure
C: let me check my deck reg sheet (note: the guy is a local judge of some prominence and witnessed my glorious r9 loss to the deck registration error at the last SCG open up here)
D: Cubes with Multiples of any 1 cards aren't gonna get drafted by me. Sorry bud
C: Fair enough. You got a lotus or balance for the 2 extra pods? People love facing those cards
D: Haha. Truth. But that's where great stories come from. Greater gargadon. Cast balance. In response sac all my shit, floating mana. You sac all your stuff. I have a big guy next turn. Or turn 1 have [J]TMS. GG

cool stories, bro

anyway i've found 80% of games in those sorts of cubes are giant tilting wastes of time and 20% or so are pretty epic, and I'm pretty sure that's what the "cool stories" thing is, not, you know, "awesome, Balance"

Laz

Developer
I just saw a forum topic that perplexed me. Abridged version is below:

A: I want to run a Ravnica themed cube, but I am concerned about how much multi-colour I run, and how to support it with fixing. I have no issue running multiple shocks if that would help.

B: Well, if you want Ravnica, that means lots of multi-coloured cards... (quote)"And certainly the solution won't be to run more of the actually better shocklands."(end quote)

Principles are important I guess...

Dom Harvey

Contributor
How could it prove itself to be terrible, though? At worst, it's going to not change anything, but it's hard for it to make things worse.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
How could it prove itself to be terrible, though? At worst, it's going to not change anything, but it's hard for it to make things worse.

A lot of times I just try an idea and it feels overtly wrong. I didn't really realize I had it in place until somebody asked later.

D: Cubes with Multiples of any 1 cards aren't gonna get drafted by me. Sorry bud

I don't get the dogmatic allegiance to singleton. Preaching to the choir here, I know. But regular limited isn't even singleton. Depending on what you draft, you will routinely see more than one copy of commons (and maybe even an uncommon or two). Do these guys toss the packs back on the table and just walk away in disgust when they see a second copy of doom blade in pack 3? Do they rage quit limited matches if their opponent is running more than one copy of a card they drafted?

And how about the obvious Llanowar Elves reprints? Is it really the name that makes it OK to run a second copy? What about the same card with different art work? Is that not the same thing? I've seen guys justify running two copies of Wildfire or two copies of Armageddon because there are functional reprints (fucking PORTAL cards which aren't legal anywhere as far as I know). Just because Wizards printed another copy, it's now OK to run a second copy in cube?

Who made up these stupid ass rules that everyone clings too like it's life or death? I just don't understand. This logic does not compute.

he is a pretty sweet dude, he just has terrible taste in cube and is completely unaware of it

i actually have more i can transcribe here because i ate an adderall earlier and am salty about scg "states"

D: Does your cube still have 7 birthing pods?
C: nope
D: Does it have either one or zero?
C: not sure
C: let me check my deck reg sheet (note: the guy is a local judge of some prominence and witnessed my glorious r9 loss to the deck registration error at the last SCG open up here)
C: Fair enough. You got a lotus or balance for the 2 extra pods? People love facing those cards
D: Haha. Truth. But that's where great stories come from. Greater gargadon. Cast balance. In response sac all my shit, floating mana. You sac all your stuff. I have a big guy next turn. Or turn 1 have [J]TMS. GG

cool stories, bro

anyway i've found 80% of games in those sorts of cubes are giant tilting wastes of time and 20% or so are pretty epic, and I'm pretty sure that's what the "cool stories" thing is, not, you know, "awesome, Balance"

I don't care how sugary the man is, an opinion that awful and close-minded is the kind of thing that makes me daffy.