General CBS

Brimaz has been fine over here. He has been at his best as a control/midrange card to stabilize against aggro, and in one mono-anthem effects deck. He's pushed but he still dies to Dismember, as well as pretty much every black removal spell. Also gets brickwalled by a lot of green creatures without help.

Agree. Potentially abusable in constructed (though the basic clause hurts a lot), almost never worth a card in limited unless you can show me a cube entirely warped around this somehow.

For this post, disregard worldknit:

Is there a sensible way to have 5 colour decks in draft? I guess it needs a whole shitload of duals and fetches if it does?

What about 4 colour? How dense does fixing need to be and how high does it need to be picked for four colour to sensibly come together?

I guess for both you'd need drafting monocolour to be pretty appealing as well so there isn't too much competition for fixing.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
4-color decks I have 3-0'd with, in aggro, midrange and control theatres.

We've also had stuff like 5-color zombies go 2-1 here before.

4CC.png

Attachments

• fouros.png
    fouros.png
    614.4 KB · Views: 0

Laz

Developer
Sometimes the design articles are good...
http://www.wizards.com/magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/303

Also, unrelated to the above, I saw an interesting comment which made me think about threats and answers in cube.
Generally, in the first couple of turns of the game, the threats are small creatures. This means, early answers are simply things that answer small creatures. Low cost removal, like Shock or Doom Blade, or creatures of your own. This is why it is pretty much universally accepted that cubes need some reasonable density of cheap spot removal and early creatures. These combined make the early game very dynamic.
The issue comes when the early game threats are turned on their heads, and completely different answers are required. For instance, a turn 2/3 Tinker'ed giant death robot, or a turn 2 Planeswalker off of fast-mana. These early threats are completely different to small creatures, and demand completely different answers. Now I am sure it is possible to design an environment where answers to these types of threats are as common as answers to early aggressive creatures (I think the key is Force of Will...), but it certainly isn't the norm, and trying to create a limited environment where early threats are both small creatures and giant death robots is going to be a real challenge.

Legacy is difficult enough to build and design for without being hamstrung by having to draft answers...

CML

Contributor
Powered Cube is overwhelmingly biased towards threats. What are you gonna do with that Lotus, play a t1 Jace or hold up Cryptic Command?

Laz

Developer
Laz i linked up that article earlier on this exact page

also on the subject of power cube, i'll relink this
http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/12253

Whoops! The funny thing is that now you mention it I remember clicking your link... I suspect that I opened the article in a new tab, didn't read it, came back later, read it and thought 'This is pretty interesting, I should share this!'

Also, that cube! How do I choose between 2 Moxen, an Ancestral, a Time Walk and a Sol Ring first pick?! It looks like the most balanced unbalanced powered-cube I have ever seen. Have you ever tested it?