Article ChannelFireball: Archetype Design

My hope is that the MTGO Legendary Cube will help break the seal of expanding the public definition of cube. The recent Limited Resources episode on cube also did a good job, I thought, of giving a broad definition of what cube can be.

whydirt, I will have to give Marshall some ad revenue and give it a listen! Thanks for the visibility into LR.

I think this reddit user provides a wonderful testimony as to why singleton isn't a sacred cow:
Tebwolf359 said:
Realizing I had no issues with functional reprints is part of what made me realize that breaking singleton was something I was already doing, just in the normal, approved way.

Jason, do any of your plans for CFB articles focus solely on design constraints? This one surely touches on them, and I know some of the others do (I've read them all :cool:), but giving it the spotlight might be a good way to work toward acceptance or whatever you want to call the divide that ahadabans touched upon.

and, uh, Fantasy Sets 4 Life. Cubers R Losers

To elaborate more on the divide, I think it stems from the size of the card pool at rare. Consider what that looked like when cubing started. There were just a few hundred cube worthy cards and the power level dropped like a rock after just a few cards at each CMC. Rare lists looked roughly the same because there was really no other way to build them. Fast forward almost 10 years, and we now have cards power maxers aren't even running at 720 which would have been "staples" in 2008. This is a good problem to have as it simply means we have miles of design space when before we had very little.

Back then it made sense to have Pauper/Peasant/Rare as your cube sub categories. Today though, it's probably too limiting across the board. It certainly is for rare cubes. Penny Pincher versus your standard max power unpowered list might as well be comparing block constructed to extended. While creating additional sub categories might be dividing, it could help to at least create a consistent infrastructure that cubes of all types can fit into. I can't help but feel some of the us vs them thing stems from the idea that traditional rare cubes feel like their identity is being questioned by non-singleton lower power rare lists and vice versa.

You go to a Peasant forum and guys are having friendly conversations about cards and aren't all myopic about includes or specific design philosophies. One guy says skullclamp is OP even though it's technically uncommon, and people are fine with that even if they are running clamp in their own lists and have a different view on it. In rare forums, it's not nearly that civil. And it may have to do with the fact that there is less definition around the format. It's evolving and we should get ahead of that.

That's probably true as well. Part of this is definitely a personal investment and the baggage that inevitably comes along with that. And I can understand and identify on some level (we all probably can). When I first started researching this format, I spent a great deal of time reading old posts on MTGS. The dialogue back in 2008/2009 was a lot more open. That probably had to do with the fact that things were still in a discovery phase of sorts, so you had a lot of engaging conversation and experimentation. Very much like how things are on Riptide right now, that's how a lot of the exchanges on MTGS were 8 years ago believe it or not.

But then after a time, people got stuck in their view points. They dialed in their cubes and it was less about exploring new territory and more about protecting what had been built (refining it maybe). That's a common tendency with people - we all do it to some extent. And I get it. It's not like power max cubes don't work. They work and I can see the argument that if it ain't broke. I also understand wanting to have a common ground on which to do card evaluation. Problem is, the format is diversifying too much for things to continue as they were. So you either evolve with it or you wither and die.

There may come a day on this forum when things stagnate in a similar fashion, which is why I try to absorb all this creativity while it's still alive and healthy here. I hope things stay this way.

People need to remember great standard formats like kamagawa/ravinca, which were basically peasent or pauper power level compared to SOM standard.

I wish there was more content summarizing Standard and Draft formats of yore. My memory is mediocre (so I've forgotten a lot of the MTG periods I've played through); I've also missed a lot of competitive formats as I lost the desire to spend a weekend traveling/sitting in convention centers.

Also, I would love to see a 450-540 based on CHK-RAV standard :] such a format might also be somewhat affordable. ...oh god, Divining Top is 30$?!!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
(btw the reason we're so pro-derail here is the musings you arrive at ancillary to the post's topic are often of interest to other designers. Also, if you've gotta post it RIGHT THAT SECOND it's probably worth thinking about? In some other places those derails get shunted aside and never developed, which is a shame.)

It's mostly that moderating requires effort, but then I cover it up with some bs about allowing freedom of expression.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
whydirt, I will have to give Marshall some ad revenue and give it a listen! Thanks for the visibility into LR.

I think this reddit user provides a wonderful testimony as to why singleton isn't a sacred cow:

Jason, do any of your plans for CFB articles focus solely on design constraints? This one surely touches on them, and I know some of the others do (I've read them all :cool:), but giving it the spotlight might be a good way to work toward acceptance or whatever you want to call the divide that ahadabans touched upon.

and, uh, Fantasy Sets 4 Life. Cubers R Losers

http://www.channelfireball.com/home/breaking-the-rules-learning-from-legacy-part-2/

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I kind of feel like writing an article about the cube community. Kind of like the good old days when I spat fire and people loved and hated it.

What Zombies are you people playing? the only card I need to support is Gravecrawler but I want to support it well.

That's it. I'm considering cards like Wretched Anurid and Sarcomancy but black isn't the aggro colour of choice here tbh.
W and R are the colours that often splash the Crawlers so I'd appreciate suggestions referring to those.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Cemetery Reaper is a slow-ish army in a can with some utility past making zombies. It shines in environments that are a little bit slower with a graveyard component.
Risen Executioner is a nice recursive threat. It is basically Gravecrawler's big brother, more expensive, but also better at getting damage through.
Lotleth Troll is a very good card. It's hard to get rid of, and the discard ability synergizes wonderfully with Gravecrawler.
Putrid Leech hits like a truck.
Dreg Mangler hits like a sports car, but makes other cards hit like a truck after it had a fatal accident.

I've got:

You really don't need a ton of support to make it work, Carrion Feeder + Gravecrawler just gets there pretty often in certain matchups.