Article ChannelFireball: Polycubing and Swordfighting

Necro.

I found this article the other day and really loved the idea of a modular cube. Has anyone done this with a paper cube? If so, how did you manage each "module" (for lack of a better term).

Sorting this each time would suck. I'm debating on different colored sleeves. I realize that is a super janky solution (since it gives info to your and your opponent - I know what THAT blue sleeved card probably is!), but as my group is super causal I'm wondering if it will really matter in the grande scheme of things. And for sorting purposes, I can't think of an easier or more convenient way to manage it than with different colored sleeves.

So my general idea right now is a 360 cube. 180 of it will be core cards (silver sleeve) and there will be 3 modules (blue, red, gold - whatever). Each module is 90 cards and contains roughly 3 sub themes. So say blue will have life gain, artifact and reanimator; red might be tempo, tokens and devotion; gold maybe spells matter, some combo flavors and maybe some kind of enchantress thing. Each draft two of the three modules are chosen and mixed with the core 180 to make 360. Totally making up the breakouts there, but that's the general idea.

Sounds like a bitch to initially configure (I sketched something out last night and it definitely introduces more complexity in cube design), but it seems like a really fun thought experiment if nothing else. And I really like the idea of supporting interesting fringe ideas and rotating them in and out of the cube. Lifegain and enchantress seems like really cool themes that I know some guys would latch on to but I can't bring myself to make room for them in my current list. This would give me a way to do it while not having to really remove anything.

Laz

Developer
I suspect the most practical way is coloured stickers on an inner sleeve. That way, when the cards are face-up, it is easy to sort into piles by the colour of that sticker.

CML

Contributor
"Doubling down on fetchlands has done more to improve the quality of my draft environment than any other change."

GOD WE ARE THE BEST

OK real talk I haven't thought about Cube for a few months because the draft format is delightful. Now what do we do?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
"Doubling down on fetchlands has done more to improve the quality of my draft environment than any other change."

GOD WE ARE THE BEST

OK real talk I haven't thought about Cube for a few months because the draft format is delightful. Now what do we do?

I don't know. I'm kind of out of ideas.