General (CMM) Commander Masters 2023 Previews

@Brad

Correct me if I am wrong here but could the reason behind your disappointment with the colorless deck be that you thought it would be all about Eldrazi so now you feel let down?
Basically, yes. I think Mapi put it perfectly. I didn't go looking for every bit of info I could find before the deck's release. I'm a casual consumer who saw "Eldrazi" as the deck name and I'm disappointed that it's kinda not Eldrazi. The cards that are Eldrazi are mostly underwhelming or uninspired.
You know what's a triggered ability? Annihilator. ;)
Truuue. And the various cast triggers. Guess I'm not too used to the idea of copying triggers lol.
As for exciting stuff... I like the idea of casting Thought-Knot Seer on villain's draw step.
I don't ever like the idea of someone casting that card, but that's a bit neat. Of course, you won't get to swing with your 7/7.

Last edited:
I'm also feeling a bit down on the Eldrazi deck, but admittedly for very different reasons. Was hoping for at least one splashy colourless spells to reduce to 0 with Mizzix.

Velrun, I'm legitimately unsure whether or not you're joking right now, or if you actually don't understand why people are annoyed by how this product was advertised (despite it being explained to you multiple times).

what can we do to be deserving of more eldrazi

Lie back and let the bismuth take you.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think we got a lot more new Eldrazi stuff than we deserve. People should be happy about this.
I don't think you can decide for others that they should be happy with a product. Everyone can have their own opinion on the products WotC publishes, and since everybody is looking for something different, opinions are bound to be divided. Just like it's okay for you to absolutely like the Eldrazi deck for what it is, it is okay for others to not be happy with how it turned out :)

For example, I built my Karador, Ghost Chieftain deck around recasting Eldrazi with cast triggers from the graveyard, so I had high hopes the supposed Eldrazi would add a few new toys. Flayer of Loyalties is literally the only new card that fits the theme though. I'm not mad at WotC, but I'm not happy with the deck either, and unless you think one new card is more than I deserve, can you really fault me for that?

Not to dogpile or anything, but I dont think 'deserve' comes into it. WotC and I are in a strictly financial relationship. They produce product they expect to be liked enough (for whatever reason) to be profitable, I spend money on product I like enough to justify a given amount of money lost. I don't deserve anything they make and they don't deserve my custom, but our interests occasionally align enough that I use the fraction of income I set aside for gaming on their stuff instead of some other companies stuff.
Yeah I would have liked to see singles I could fit into my Mizzix deck to have an excuse to revisit a deck that has gotten a little stale, in this case I didn't, bit sad, no skin off my nose and I'm sure WotC doesn't care. All g, I've been on a 40k kick anyway.

I do want a copy of Commodore Guff just to have one, as well as a fair few singles from that deck for my Roon Superfriends list, so I may end up picking up that precon anyway - that deck just wasn't just wasn't the active topic at the time (I really like the new Teyo and Vronos looks gross for keeping you ahead, happy to see he's getting a card). Means I could add the new Chandra to my Chandra Tribal deck into the bargain.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think it's really weird to use the word "deserve" in the context of Magic the Gathering. I think it's more correct to say that WotC doesn't owe us more Eldrazi than they gave us, which is correct. They don't owe me (or anyone) more than the two new Eldrazi they printed, but I'm still disappointed they made that choice and didn't give us more.

The gall to up the price to $85 (excuse me what the fuck) for a shitty pre-con is far more egregious to me than the lack of Eldrazi (which is also pretty bad). Before they went off on this everything is Commander all the time bullshit I was absolutely the target audience for the yearly pre-con set as they'd mostly deliver and be worth it at the previous price point. This deck though? It's absolute trash given that like 60% of the non-land cards are artifacts to pad the numbers. It's a very badly designed deck.

They could have easily given these two new cards the Eldrazi subtype to open up interactions with Eldrazi Temple or Eye of Ugin or Cavern of Souls:

1691090120043.png 1691090134126.png

They've been consistently churning out mediocre pre-cons to the point where it's not even worth it to pick them up at full price unless they decide to mistakenly do something like the free spell cycle featuring Fierce Guardianship and Deflecting Swat. And even then those decks were mostly trash and got discarded after you stripped away the handful of cards worth playing.

The gall to up the price to $85 (excuse me what the fuck) for a shitty pre-con is far more egregious to me than the lack of Eldrazi (which is also pretty bad). Before they went off on this everything is Commander all the time bullshit I was absolutely the target audience for the yearly pre-con set as they'd mostly deliver and be worth it at the previous price point. This deck though? It's absolute trash given that like 60% of the non-land cards are artifacts to pad the numbers. It's a very badly designed deck.

They could have easily given these two new cards the Eldrazi subtype to open up interactions with Eldrazi Temple or Eye of Ugin or Cavern of Souls:

View attachment 8589 View attachment 8590

They've been consistently churning out mediocre pre-cons to the point where it's not even worth it to pick them up at full price unless they decide to mistakenly do something like the free spell cycle featuring Fierce Guardianship and Deflecting Swat. And even then those decks were mostly trash and got discarded after you stripped away the handful of cards worth playing.
I'm in Canada and it seems Face to Face is selling them for $189 CAD. I nearly barfed. Holy shit I can't imagine how anyone justifies these prices. That price used to get you all the Pre-Cons as a bundle.

I'm in Canada and it seems Face to Face is selling them for $189 CAD. I nearly barfed. Holy shit I can't imagine how anyone justifies these prices. That price used to get you all the Pre-Cons as a bundle.
From what I’ve heard this set is not selling well. This set might literally kill the double masters line, just like Iconic Masters and Masters 25 killed the “single” masters sets.

That’s not actually a bad thing, though, because the death of the original masters sets is what gave us Modern Horizons and bonus sheets, both of which have been good for the game as a whole.

I disagree that they have been good for the game as a whole. But you all probably knew I would write this :p

The good cards that people like from those sets could easily have been printed in other sets. And I am also of the opinion that good cards being released are not always good for the game as a whole.

I would however like to hear some sound arguments for why those sets have been good for the game as a whole and I hope it itsn’t because people like some of the cards :p But if it is I would like to hear some sound arguments why good cards released i to the game is good for the game as a whole. I am the man with the sign “Change my mind” :p

I disagree that they have been good for the game as a whole. But you all probably knew I would write this :p

The good cards that people like from those sets could easily have been printed in other sets. And I am also of the opinion that good cards being released are not always good for the game as a whole.

I would however like to hear some sound arguments for why those sets have been good for the game as a whole and I hope it itsn’t because people like some of the cards :p But if it is I would like to hear some sound arguments why good cards released i to the game is good for the game as a whole. I am the man with the sign “Change my mind” :p

To be fair, you have to have a very high level of Kenergy to understand the positive impact of Modern Horizons. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Mark Rosewater’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Modern Horizons truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Mark’s existential catchphrase "I’m pulling out of my driveway, we all know what that means!" which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Gavin Verhey’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, I DO have a Ragavan tattoo. And no, you cannot see it.