Card/Deck Creature lands

I just call them creature lands since they mechanically are creature lands, they aren't men and neither am I for that matter. :p Aside from manland feeling like an attempt to maintain Magic's "boys only" status, flavorfully inaccurate nicknames make my inner Vorthos cringe. Flavor is a pretty significant factor in my enjoyment of Magic.

As far as I'm concerned nothing, but Lucre seems to think it's politically incorrect, presumably because of something something gender equality? I think gender (in)equality is a valid concern in general, but the nickname of a category of Magic cards is not an area it should be applied to. Let's start with wages an job opportunities for example.

I feel like gender equality should come before the luxury of a living wage. My employer and landlord can both legally remove me out of nowhere for disagreeing with my existence. I can also be arbitrarily denied service all over the place, hospitals and all. Why the hell would I want more wages and job opportunities if I can't live, work or spend in the first place. o_O

I just call them creature lands since they mechanically are creature lands, they aren't men and neither am I for that matter. :p Aside from manland feeling like an attempt to maintain Magic's "boys only" status, flavorfully inaccurate nicknames make my inner Vorthos cringe. Flavor is a pretty significant factor in my enjoyment of Magic.

I feel like gender equality should come before the luxury of a living wage. My employer and landlord can both legally remove me out of nowhere for disagreeing with my existence. I can also be arbitrarily denied service all over the place, hospitals and all. Why the hell would I want more wages and job opportunities if I can't live, work or spend in the first place. o_O

workers of the world, cast off your chains of mephistopheles

(i also say 'creature lands' which iirc I picked up from WotC coverage)

Nobody likes the term Wakelands? As in awake / awakened? Also they totally wake up and go back to sleep on activation / end of turn! And some of them appeared in worldwake! It's great!

I guess there's no law saying we have to save every possible syllable when coming up with names for things. No one at my FLGS balks at having to pronounce the laboriously-long word "Enchantment", (even though I tried to make "Chant" catch on) so creature lands (or #Awakelands!!) is probably a little clearer than "wakelands". But I wanted to invent the cool new lingo for the cool kids. :(

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
For arguments' sake, someone (or, everyone!) rank all ten dual-colour creature lands? Without having played the new ones, I'm not really sure where they fall.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor

Its not a huge deal to me if someone uses the term man lands or creature land, as long as people aren't jumping to extreme conclusions based on a word having gender.

Manlands just sounds a lot more pithy than creature lands; and it seems rather puritanical to assume it represents something nefarious.

{W/U}{U/B}{R/G}{W/B}{G/U}{G/W}{B/G} {R/W}{B/R} {U/R} if I had to rank them but they're all still playable as guildgates with massive upside. I've played Lavaclaw Reaches in Modern.

I agree with Safra's order, except I'd probably swap the last 4 to be {R/W} {U/R} {B/G} {B/R}

I think the Boros land is going to play well because double strike is abusable. And the UR land looks better to me than the deathtouch land. RB is just not very good IMO (to me it's last). They are all good enough to make even the tightest lists though on the grounds that they fix and represent a threat.

Yeah, I get that they're all fixers first and foremost, which is why I still like having ten lands in some form or fashion. To me, though, there's a huge difference in upside between a Coastal Tower and a Celestial Colonnade, and Lavaclaw Reaches is much closer to the former than the latter. I just wish there were an easy way to make up for the power level difference, which I'm attempting to compensate for by allowing the colours without a manland access to more gold cards. I'll be the first to say that this isn't ideal, and that I don't know whether it's better or worse than just jamming the whole cycle.

I completely agree with Lucre on hating the term 'manlands', btw, and wish there was better nomenclature for them.

I kinda like manlands because of the way it sounds I kinda hate folklands because I don't imagine my collonade being particularly sociable, or getting down with the sounds of the 70s, and I'm also kinda sick of social justices love affair with the word folks.

You guys missed the political correctness and inclusiveness arguments on this entirely? I don't even have a twitter or like play constructed magic and I keep hearing about it!

The PC term you're looking for is in here ;)

This strawman horse shit looks like an extra loose harrison bergeron knockoff

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I kinda like manlands because of the way it sounds I kinda hate folklands because I don't imagine my collonade being particularly sociable, or getting down with the sounds of the 70s, and I'm also kinda sick of social justices love affair with the word folks.

You guys missed the political correctness and inclusiveness arguments on this entirely? I don't even have a twitter or like play constructed magic and I keep hearing about it!

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that this is news too people: it was all over the news in 2015.

Its cool dude, I've just been in some of those social justice environments where it starts to turn into open bigotry at a certain point: very us vs. them, and wasn't sure where you were going. As long as we can respect one another we're fine.

Folklands sounds like a folk rock festival. They'll just be manlands to me since that was what people called them when I started playing. This super PC movement is just so overdone, how can you feel so strongly about such arbitrary (for the most part) things? I'd just be tired from being outraged about shit that really doesn't matter. I can understand it in certain cases where it makes sense, but it's just so dumb when it's applied to something so pointless.

Has anyone thought of a more pc word for it that isn't as awful and un-genuine as folklands?
Is this controversial, aggressive question the puritanical bigotry and outrage that people are responding to, or is there some horrific flamewar elsewhere from which people are transferring their sentiments? I get the feeling Lucre is A-ok with peeps continuing to call their monsterlands "manlands" if they so wish.

Is this controversial, aggressive question the puritanical bigotry and outrage that people are responding to, or is there some horrific flamewar elsewhere from which people are transferring their sentiments? I get the feeling Lucre is A-ok with peeps continuing to call their monsterlands "manlands" if they so wish.
I'm a very lazy SJW, I'd prefer we have a new name with heart and not something we shat out because we were popped a question, but I recognize that most people I play games with have no issue referring to your animate mana source as one of your men the same way one might refer to the whole of their armed forces as men so I wont make too much of a stink about it, but honestly I think theres room to grow. So why not ask?

As far as I know nerds on the internet get really upset about stuff like trying to use a non-gendered way of referring to their attacking lands or when people write about being more inclusive and such a debate occurred in the last couple months between largely disinterested parties trying, as magic players always do, to out argue each other over with theories which value to them rest solely in their ability to show that other guy up.

I rather like monsterlands that kinda works too

Everyone will, I'm sure, go on calling them whatever they wish.

I think it's worthwhile to consider there might be a better name out there that I haven't thought of. After all they're neither men nor humans. Best I could do was 'still-a-lands', as in, ~ is still a land, text they should all share.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Folklands sounds like a folk rock festival. They'll just be manlands to me since that was what people called them when I started playing. This super PC movement is just so overdone, how can you feel so strongly about such arbitrary (for the most part) things? I'd just be tired from being outraged about shit that really doesn't matter. I can understand it in certain cases where it makes sense, but it's just so dumb when it's applied to something so pointless.

I kinda agree, but everytime you bring up that argument a zealous SJW will argue that that's how things like gender inequality creep into our society! If we can't even debate the innocious looking but just as hateful terms in everyday life, how can we ever hope to improve as a society? But yeah, I kinda get tired of it as well. The etymology of a lot of "sexist" words doesn't support a sexist reading either. It's the zeitgeist that labels them as such, and it would be much more constructive in my opinion to ignore that silly aspect of the whole discussion and just focus on the real problems.

Right, exactly my point, thank you. There are far more pressing matters in the world than debating about whether we should relabel gender-non-neutral words. Though here I am, joining the discussion because discussing this stuff is interesting anyway, and much easier than making a real change. Could that be the root of the White Knight phenomenon?

Edit (after pages of discussion): To elaborate, I have nothing at all against social justice warriors, even if I can't always see what certain changes would add to their cause (like the manland renaming). I meant to ask a theoretical question here about a probably and hopefully very small group of people kinda posing as sjw's online without putting in the real world effort I'ld expect from true sjw's, and worded it very poorly because of multiple reasons (among them me being only vaguely familiar with the terminology and me not being a native English speaker). A question, also, I admittedly still find interesting, because it speaks to the nature of humankind. It may be still be an ill-advised question even if I had put it into context, considering what some people here went through, judging by the posts past this one. By asking that question the way I did, I totally gave the impression I was a short-sighted idiot, whereas in reality I'm a short sighted idiot who's pro equal rights, regardless of faith, skin color, gender or sexual orientation, including same-sex marriage, and including same-sex couples raising kids. I'll also try to use another word than manland, because really, it's not all that much trouble to do so anyway, so why resist when others do care?