General Custom Cards: The Lab

Obsession {U}
Enchantment
Echo {1}{B}{G} (At the beginning of your upkeep, if this came under your control since the beginning of your last upkeep, sacrifice it unless you pay its echo cost.)
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library in any order.

Beaked Hunter {1}{U}
Creature — Bird Squid
Flash
Flying
Echo {1}{G}{W}
When Beaked Hunter enters the battlefield, return target creature to its owner’s hand.
A beak both avian and cephalopod.
2/1

Night’s Litany {1}{B}
Enchantment
Echo {3}{B}
At the beginning of your upkeep, you draw two cards and you lose 2 life.

Electroconvulsive Therapy {R}
Enchantment — Aura
Flash
Enchant creature
Echo {B}
At the beginning of each upkeep, Electroconvulsive Therapy deals 3 damage to enchanted creature.

Emerald Fusion {2}{G}{G}
Enchantment
Echo {W}{U}{B}{R}{G}
At the beginning of your end step, put a 5/5 green Elemental creature token onto the battlefield.

Growth Serum {G}
Enchantment — Aura
Flash
Enchant creature
Echo {2}{G}{G}
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3.

Synthetic Lightning {2/R}{2/R}{2/R}
Artifact Creature — Elemental
Trample, haste
Echo {2/G}{2/G}{2/G}
6/1

Shockwave Stomper {1}{G}{G}
Creature — Beast
Echo {1}{G}{G}
When Shockwave Stomper enters the battlefield, untap up to three lands.
4/3

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
are they really that bad?

for cube i keep looking for sort of conditionally-multicolor cards that are sort of playable without that aspect

I get that, but these are really in your face about it. I think they lack a little finese in their execution. It's especialy weird to see the weird color combinations that have no one logical tie to the main color. Like, Beaked Hunter is a blue card, so I get the white echo cost, but why the green? What does that have to do with a flying creature

I get that, but these are really in your face about it. I think they lack a little finese in their execution. It's especialy weird to see the weird color combinations that have no one logical tie to the main color. Like, Beaked Hunter is a blue card, so I get the white echo cost, but why the green? What does that have to do with a flying creature
it's green because flash
okay maybe that's more of a flash than i hoped

I really like the OG Ravnica sac-if-you-didn't-pay cards and the ones like Vigor Mortis. A subtler direction maybe?

I really like the OG Ravnica sac-if-you-didn't-pay cards and the ones like Vigor Mortis. A subtler direction maybe?
i don't like the wall of text is the only thing. i suppose evoke does a similar thing

but echo is sort of interesting in it's own way? at least it feels that way to me

reactions in order:
"what the shit 8 mana?
hmm
oh it has suspend for 2, that seems, oh wait skip your turn?
is this bad? i don't know...
oh wait it says take 2 extra turns not 1 extra turn
umm
i don't really get it, maybe it's really good, maybe it's awful"

so that's potentially a bad reaction for your players to have

some cards like that are good because you want nonobvious things and you want people to be surprised
but just be careful to limit them

another thought about this card (trippppllee post!!!):
is this card Important to your cube's Main Ideas?

if so, then do it!!

if not, i think it is too clunky and too confusing and too weird!

thinking more about this, maybe this needs to be a Named Mechanic if it is done

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Good idea or bad idea?

Elsewhere Lens {2}
Artifact
Imprint - When Elsewhere Lens enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a land card and exile it, then shuffle your library.
{T}: Add to your mana pool one mana of any type the exiled land could produce.

(Beware, all the below complaints are extremely petty, some more than others :p)
I don't like signets because GR drafters don't pick UW signets even if it's good for their deck.
I don't like Coldsteel Heart because of memory issues.
I don't like Sphere of the Suns because it scares drafters into not casting spells.
I don't like Prismatic Lens/Everflowing Chalice since they aren't as obliquely powerful as the above.
And I don't like Darksteel Ingot because it costs 3 :p

Could this be a semi-intuitive, powerful but not broken (Eg: Sphere with infinte counters) mana rock that doesn't fuck with human psychology during drafting?
It's kind of trading one issue for another (since now it requires you shuffle, which takes time) but it's an issue drafters are used to dealing with, since fetchlands are a big part of a lot of cubes?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Why not imprint a basic land? You're not missing more than one color anyway, so it simplifies the searching process, and it tempers the power level a bit. Other than that, a pretty good design!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Could do. If you can imprint any land it does kinda work like another fetchland in terms of fixing your colors (Since this and scalding tarn will get your tundra if you're UW)
I don't have anything like mana confluence anymore, so there's not much of a way to "cheat" it and get a 5 color rock (Which I think I'd be fine with, btw)

For reference, the issue with searching isn't "what do I search for" it's "Now I need to spend a decent amount of time shuffling to properly randomize things"; the old "Loading Screen" complaint :p