General Custom Cards: The Lab

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't need to, but I don't need any reminder text on anything, technically :p
I add it in whenever I can because for a lot of people, my cube is the only magic they play. I do this for the same reason I don't use textless copies of cards

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't need to, but I don't need any reminder text on anything, technically :p
I add it in whenever I can because for a lot of people, my cube is the only magic they play. I do this for the same reason I don't use textless copies of cards
What I meant is that your wording deviates from the default template. WotC never uses wording like yours. Instead they use something like the card I linked.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean, then it'd end up reading thus:

Monstrosity 1. This ability costs 0 if an opponent lost life this turn. (Damage causes loss of life. If this creature isn't monstrous, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes monstrous)

and having both reminder texts smushed in there seems worse than my current wording to me.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There's not really a precedent for what you're trying to do, but how often is the life loss thing going to matter? If you don't want to staple together the reminder texts (which I totally understand) I'ld be inclined to synch the ability with bloodthirst and just have it trigger on "If an opponent was dealt damage this turn".

{3}{R}: Monstrosity 1. This ability costs {0} to activate if an opponent was dealt damage this turn. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put one +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes monstrous.)

or

{3}{R}: Monstrosity 1. This ability costs {3}{R} less to activate if an opponent was dealt damage this turn. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put one +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes monstrous.)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Mostly blood artist. I can just remind my drafters, but the fewer mid pack questions I get the better. I'll run a sample by my drafters and see if it looks too awkward spelled out

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Update: Decided to stick with stormblood berserker for simplicity's sake.

However, cool idea for a mana rock:

Okay only technically :p
Elsewhere Gate.jpg
Now you won't have to remember what color you picked for coldsteel heart, or shuffle your library!

Laz

Developer
Oooo... I like this one.

Lets spin the flavour!
pk8Siud.png

(Big)

I still have no idea how to template this properly. I feel horrible for even contemplating using Dance of the Dead as a templating reference, but as far as I know it is the only card which deals with cards you don't own entering the battlefield tapped.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
How are all of you okay with giving a super-green effect, one of green's defining effects I would say, to every color? :confused: I'm not fond of two cmc mana rocks*, but at least those have an inherent "weakness" since multiple colors can destroy artifacts on the cheap. Colorless Rampant Growths is like colorless Lightning Bolts or Counterspells. Those are effects that are so core to a color's identity mechanic-wise I'm baffled you'ld want to mess with that. Just because it can be done doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

*I'ld argue my cube got a lot more enjoyable once I shifted mana rocks to cmc 3+ and wrath effects to cmc 5+.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If you're hellbent on pursuing this silly design [:p], here's the correct wording.

Elsewhere Gate.jpg

Unless otherwise specified, permanents you put onto the battlefield enter the battlefield under your control by default. You don't have to specify that. Since you aren't searching, you can't fail to find, so presumably that's why it's a may ability. You know, just in case you forgot to put a target in your sideboard (see Coax from the Blind Eternities for reference wording).

That custom definitely feels like "can but shouldn't". It doesn't seem like a colorless effect at all, and is probably better than rampant growth, because you can have splash basics outside your deck, not interfering with your normal land base! You can grab a Wastes from outside the game without using space for it! Just seems like the imprint coldsteel heart is a lot cleaner colorless design. Would prolly have it enter tapped though

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I was thinking a bit about that scroll mechanic I thought of a while ago and wondered if maybe I could turn it into a nice energy support/spells matter theme overlap with something like...

Aether Researcher {1}{U}
Creature - Human Wizard
When ~ enters the battlefield, create two blue Aether Formula instant scrolls with cost {2}{U} and “Scry 3. You get {e}{e}{e} (three energy counters).” and put it into your hand.
{T}, Pay {e}{e}: Draw a card.
1/3

Aether Bandit {1}{R}
Creature - Human Rogue
When ~ enters the battlefield, create two red Aether Leak sorcery scrolls with cost {2}{R} and “Up to three target lands don't untap during their controller's next untap step. You get {e}{e}{e} (three energy counters).” and put it into your hand.
{T}, Pay {e}{e}: Target creature can't block this turn.
3/1

Aether Cultivator {1}{G}
Creature - Human Druid
When ~ enters the battlefield, create two green Aether Growth sorcery scrolls with cost {2}{G} and “You may choose a basic land card you own from outside the game, and put it onto the battlefield tapped. You get {e}{e}{e} (three energy counters).” and put it into your hand.
{T}, Pay {e}{e}: You gain 3 life.
2/2

Edit: Also, who's in charge of the smilies here? The energy symbol is missing :D

Two ideas:

Idea the first: what colors is this card?

Deadbridge Chant seems like a sweet card, and BUG in my cube is leaning graveyardy right now, but for a multicolored 6 drop enchantment, it seems quite weak. It's multicolored, and arguably worse than something basic like Honden of Seeing Winds.
Sure if you end up drawing a few cards when it comes into play VIA flashback or similar stuff, but I feel the mana cost tends to stand in the way of that.

I'm thinking 4CC, but I can't decide if I want it to be {2}{G}{B} or {2}{G}{U}
Came here because I wanted to try an experiment for my BUG slot. I though this would be cool with Delve. Really a Tasigur without the body that becomes the focus of the card.
Tasigurs Trance.jpg

i got bored
these got fuse. yes i know you cant name a card sorcery but i did it anyway you cant stop me

Hack {3}{U}
Sorcery
Gain control of target artifact or enchantment. If it is attached to a permanent, you may attach it to another permanent it can enchant/equip.
Fuse
//
Slash {1}{R}
Sorcery
Slash deals 4 damage to target creature.
Fuse

Dungeons {B}
Sorcery
Destroy target creature an opponent controls. That opponent may choose a creature card in his or her graveyard and put it on the battlefield under his or her control.
Fuse
//
Dragons {5}{R}
Sorcery
Create two 4/4 red Dragon creature tokens with flying.
Fuse

Sword {1}{W}
Sorcery
Search your library for an Aura or Equipment card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Fuse
//
Sorcery {1}{B}
Sorcery
Search your library for a sorcery card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Fuse

Time {3}{U}{U}
Sorcery
Take an extra turn.
Fuse
//
Place {1}{G}
Sorcery
Search your library for a basic land card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
Fuse

Simple designs <3

These are clearly designed based on their names and there's no real connection between the two sides which is fine if you ask me. Great designs!

Sorcery might be a little strong.

ty <3

in my experience the strength of tutors for cubes is p weaker than in other formats however i kind of fear the case where it gets fused maybe

also....

hey has anyone tried to make a catalogue of custom cube cards

like ive made custom cubes before and people make custom sets but like what if we just had a big pile of cards

idk why im rly asking bc its not like i play magic anymore but like idk it just seems like with 55 pages of customs i feel like ppl would want a more easily browsable form maybe

edit: whoosp i double posted in 4 minutes. cant stop me. editing. im stopping me

Really strong :) But in a contained area, really strong might be exactly right.

I cannot imagine not drafting this as a Grixis player.

Edit: Good name, simple design, second artwork is great, first artwork feels like it comes from the same painting as the second artwork but it doesn't look like an Unsummon.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Really strong :) But in a contained area, really strong might be exactly right.

I cannot imagine not drafting this as a Grixis player.

Edit: Good name, simple design, second artwork is great, first artwork feels like it comes from the same painting as the second artwork but it doesn't look like an Unsummon.

Thanks! Both arts are indeed from the same painting, first art depicts people trying to flee the scene, which felt appropriate enough. Finding fitting art (from the same artist, no less) is hard enough as it is, so sometimes I'll just take what I can get :)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Thanks! Both arts are indeed from the same painting, first art depicts people trying to flee the scene, which felt appropriate enough. Finding fitting art (from the same artist, no less) is hard enough as it is, so sometimes I'll just take what I can get :)

That seems like a great way of doing it actually!

Love using this all in one turn as a psudo duneblast

It does work. And you're right there's some really nice design space left.

I have my suspicion that Wizard's are going to explore that design space when they next visit Amonkhet (if possible)

Great designs although I find it funny Rock has no way of going to the GY :D