General Custom Cards: The Lab

Isn't the card being cycled on the stack when the trigger happens?
702.28c Some cards with cycling have abilities that trigger when they’re cycled. “When you cycle
[this card]” means “When you discard [this card] to pay a cycling cost.” These abilities trigger
from whatever zone the card winds up in after it’s cycled.

technically this makes the reminder text i put on the spectre not true if you have out a Rest in Peace or similar replacement effect but i don't run those in my cube

you can google "yixlid jailer cycling" for some posts about it

time to go nuts
Gushclamp {2}{U}
Artifact — Equipment
Whenever equipped creature dies, draw two cards.
Equip—Return two Islands you control to their owner’s hand.

I wish there were more cards with ninjutsu.... is this where i go with this kind of thing? Does it violate the spirit of the mechanic if they have, say, ETB effects instead of sabotage abilities? Like, etb, target creature gains trample, or maybe first strike, until end of turn is sort of interesting.

Ninjitsu with ETB First strike sounds sweet. OR something like this:

Silverblade Ninja - 2WW
Creature - Ninja
Ninjitsu 1W
Soulbond - Double Strike
2/2

Ages ago I made a weak black walker here's my latest revamp

Xexamedes, Archveult 1BB
Planeswalker - Xexamedes (M)
[+1]: Xexamedes deals 1 damage to target player and you gain 1 life.
[-3]: Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn and you lose X life.
[3HP]

(Xexamedes is a weird villain from one of Jack Vance's Dying Earth books, I think Archveults are either wizards banished to some other planet or extra terrestrial wizards in their own right. Vance has always been pretty vague a d selective about his descriptions of these things. I think his "shoulder plumage" was described at some point)

Ninjitsu with ETB First strike sounds sweet. OR something like this:

Silverblade Ninja - 2WW
Creature - Ninja
Ninjitsu 1W
Soulbond - Double Strike
2/2

Yess!!
I was just thinking ninjutsu would be GREAT for soulbond!
Kinda like feral invocation, it turns an aura type effect into a combat trick.

The point of ninjutsu in flavour is to flash a dude in instead of someone who's not blocked for value, so sabateur makes more sense. With that said, a flash fating guy with etb isn't stupid, and ninjutsu does most of that, it just requires an attacking man. Really its a victim of kamigawa's flavour before function, like how Bushido is basically unreprintable, despite being interesting and simple but flavourfully tied to Japanese culture.

I wish there were more cards with ninjutsu.... is this where i go with this kind of thing? Does it violate the spirit of the mechanic if they have, say, ETB effects instead of sabotage abilities? Like, etb, target creature gains trample, or maybe first strike, until end of turn is sort of interesting.
ok lets do this

Flickerbro {1}{U}{U}
Creature — Spirit Ninja
Ninjutsu {1}{U}{U} ({1}{U}{U}, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
Whenever Flickerbro deals combat damage to a player, exile two target permanents you control, then return those cards to the battlefield under your control.
2/2

Ninja o’ War {2}{U}{U}
Creature — Jellyfish Ninja
Ninjutsu {1}{U}{U} ({1}{U}{U}, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
When Ninja o’ War enters the battlefield, return target permanent to its owner’s hand.
2/2

Skybeak Shinobi {3}{U}{U}
Creature — Bird Ninja
Ninjutsu {2}{U} ({2}{U}, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
Flying
3/4

Ninja of the Alternate Costs {1}{B}
Creature — Rat Ninja
Ninjutsu—Discard a card. (Discard a card, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
2/1

Ninja Therapist {2}{B}{B}
Creature — Human Ninja
Ninjutsu—Sacrifice a creature. (Sacrifice a creature, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
Whenever Ninja Therapist deals combat damage to a player, name a nonland card. That player reveals his or her hand and discards all cards with that name.
1/1

Lightning Ninja {1}{R}
Creature — Elemental Ninja
Ninjutsu {1}{R} ({1}{R}, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
Trample, haste
At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Lightning Ninja.
4/1

Mogg Shinobi {2}{R}
Creature — Goblin Ninja
Ninjutsu {1}{R} ({1}{R}, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
Whenever Mogg Shinobi deals combat damage to a player, destroy up to one target artifact.
2/3

Dfghdfgh, King of Ninjas {1}{U}{B}
Legendary Creature — Human Ninja
Creature cards in your hand have Ninjutsu {1}{U/B} ({1}{U/B}, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
2/2

[-3]: Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn and you lose X life.
i dont know if X works like this

ps designing walkers is hard

Just move the life loss up front then, I'm
Sure I've seen an x generated outside of cost payment before

its probably okay

why does it only have 2 abilities that feels really wrong

i have no idea man its a walker how do you even evaluate walkers let alone design them

UB walker {1}{U}{B}
Planeswalker
+1: Look at the top three cards of target player’s library, then put one back and the rest into that player’s graveyard.
-1: Until your next turn, target creature gets -5/-0.
-4: Exchange your graveyard and library. Then shuffle your library.
Starting Loyalty: 3

BR walker {2}{B}{R}
Planeswalker
+2: BR walker deals 2 damage to each player.
-4: Discard your hand, then draw five cards.
-4: Until end of turn, you may play cards from your graveyard. If a card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere this turn, exile that card instead.
Starting Loyalty: 1

I was initially thinking it could be a rare or like, it was a way to make sure folks didn't have too much to complain about power level wise. I like being a little proactive about criticism often, either by making it outlandishly just a thought experiment or uncessarily trim. I find ultimates make planeswalkers kinda inelegant too. I'm way more into things like UB tezzeret than random gamebusters.

I like the fact your guy has one toughness. I'm not sure about the UB one though. Wouldn't you cube my walker though?

You could tack on:
[-3]: Sacrifice a creature, if you did put a 5/5 black flying demon token into play. Something like that right?

Talking to eric always makes me wana design cards

White creatures hopefully control will get to scoop up that are good at blocking:

Ghost King {3}{W}{W}
Creature - Spirit Lord (R)
Flying
Spirits you control get +1/+1 and have vigilance.
When Ghost King enters the battlefield put a 1/1 spirit token with flying into play.
1/1

Eagle Friends {3}{W}{W}
Instant (U)
Put two 2/2 flying bird tokens into play.
Some other minor ability.

Worldly Celestial {3}{W}{W}
Creature - Angel (R)
Flying, vigilance
When Worldly Celestial enters the battlefield search your library for a plains card, reveal it and then put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.
4/4

Glory's Guide {1}{W}
Creature - Spirit (U)
Flying
When Glory's Guide enters the battlefield, search your library for a creature with converted mana cost 1, reveal it and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.
1/1

Chris Taylor

Contributor
[quote="Lucre, post: 18298, member: 38"Ghost King{3}{W}{W}
Creature - Spirit Lord (R)
Flying
Spirits you control get +1/+1 and have vigilance.
When Ghost King enters the battlefield put a 1/1 spirit token with flying into play.
1/1[/quote]

a 2/2 flying vigilance and a 1/1 flying? Isn't this a bit small?

I want a red Zombie.

Chaos Entity - 1R
Creature - Shapeshifter.
Sacrifice a creature: Creatures you control get +1/+0 and become all creature types until end of turn.
2/1

Can I give it first strike?