General Custom Cards: The Lab

My Seel and Dewgong enter with a "Blubber counter" on them, which is like a shield counter, but worded closer to Knight of the Holy Nimbus, if I remember correctly. I don't know if that helps at all.

Can't do that sadly, because proliferate is big theme in the cube and it is really unfun to have endless shield counters on a creature.

Is blue "normal" in this cube?

Do you have "Surf" keyworded as a flying/intimidate varian

Nah, blue is just blue. The pokémon types are just there as a replacement for creature types. And while I don't have surf, I have a bunch of cards that have "dive - Pay a cost: This pokémon can't be blocked this turn except by water pokémon." And I was thinkig to give Dewgong a variant on that, making it unblockable for non-ice-types, because the pokédex says, it'sat its fastest hen the water is really cold.

Could maybe add Vigilance to help it finish. that would really buff the second discard option. Could make the first discard option a Mind Over Matter.

Do you think it needs a buff? Because Ondee says ...

This is waaay more powerful then an uncommon finisher, I feel. The stats are kinda mid for the cost, but still impactful. There is no way to recoup the card disadvantage, but it offers so many options and it is basically, that I don’t think you can get away with this if you’re shooting for uncommon power level.

... that right there.

And isn't the Gaseous Form ability stronger than the bounce version? Sure, it still can be dealt with that way, but you don't have to invest another six mana then.

How would you say, does this card compare to Archive Dragon?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
And isn't the Gaseous Form ability stronger than the bounce version? Sure, it still can be dealt with that way, but you don't have to invest another six mana then.
Gaseous Form means you have an expensive Fog Bank at the cost of a card in hand, whereas the bounce means you have an unkillable creature. Dodging any and all removal is definitely a lot stronger than being able to trade blows in combat without consequences (on either side of the battlefield). For reference:

This was reprinted as a mythic in Time Spiral Remastered.

How would you say, does this card compare to Archive Dragon?
That's a good question, and they're kind of hard to compare. Archive Dragon is a big evasive beater with some fluff (the ward and the scrying). Your design is much worse as body (no default evasion, only a 4/4), but the additional abilities are much stronger. I think the main problem I have with the original design is that discarding a card to return a card to your hand is just a rare-worthy ability on such a beefy body.

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So 6 mana 4/4 ground pounder is bad, right? That ability ain't nothing, but discard a card is a huge cost, PLUS every time the point a removal spell at it you have to pay another 6 mana

Like this is no jetting glasskite, for sure

Yeah, the ground pounding is a bit underwhelming. For 6 mana, I'd like my finisher to reliably attack and/or have a stronger protection ability. Maybe it phases instead of bounce.

I also like Onder's idea of slightly buffing the discard. Discard a card is a high cost unless you have blue Madness.

To me, the card's close. Needs a small upgrade of some sort.

Dewgong is a little hard to design because it isn't a Pokemon with a lot of outstanding traits. Its stats are pretty even and, as a Gen 1 Gameboy player, Dewgong's attacks and personality are forgettable. I think that saying to yourself "I need a control finisher" and baking in some synergies is a good idea.
It has a somewhat unique niche in being able to both pivot with flip turn and setting up perish traps using whirlpool.

uh, I would probably make Dewgong an X/X+1 with ward and some stun counters probably. It's a pretty basic pokemon, so it'd feels weird for me for it to have such a dynamic design instead of just being some dumb midrange creature.

Very specific requests...

What is the exact font on 7th Ed card's P/T? It's not quite the fonts in CardConjurer, as far as I can tell. The / in particular is very thick.

Does anyone have the actual 7th Ed frames? The ones in CardConjurer aren't quite right and the one I was able to find didn't have transparency for the art. Especially white, as its paleness is making the P/T very difficult to read. I already adjusted the shadows, but it only does so much.

I wasted so much time messing with settings.

I kinda found a solution to the last post. More like a work around.

ART REQUEST:
Art that fits Onslaught tribes that isn't already on MtG cards. They can be outside the listed colors, but ones with those color schemes are especially helpful.
Birds WU
Zombies Bu
Goblins Rb
Beasts Gr
Clerics WB
Wizards Ur
Elves bG
Soldiers rW
Changelings 5c
Dragons R
Slivers?! 5c

Actual images you have or directing me towards artists who may have a lot of these is helpful. Sourcing good fantasy art with specific needs is proving difficult. I have an ok amount, but more is better.

If you have art of the legends from the set that was unused or something, that's great, too.

Totally open to anything you think could have an Onslaught feel to it, as well.

A mechanic idea:

Mutate for artifacts.

I was listening to Limited Resources' sunset show for LCI and they talked about how crafting was a bit of a bust. It never really felt right to me either. I had wanted it to be something modular and open ended. To me, mutate fits that bill much better because it gives a lot of freedom to make things add up in weird ways. Allowing artifacts to grow beyond their normal boundaries.

I had the idea for a card like this:

Genius Tinkerer {1}{{U/R}}
Creature - Dwarf Artificer
Artifact cards in your hand have {artifact-mutate}. Their {mutate} cost is equal to their mana cost.
1/2

Then, the rules for mutating artifacts would be the same as mutate, with some minor complications for mutating non-creatures with creatures. This would allow you to mutate your artifacts onto one another in interesting ways that overlap.

Some ideas that popped up from my cube include: Mutating a 12/12 Phyrexian Dreadnought for {1} because mutated cards don't "enter the battlefield," mutating some Darksteel Relic onto another artifact, or getting free counters onto a Walking Ballista.

The mechanic would be very complicated (like mutate), but I'm curious what other people think would be fun implementations of these ideas.

Onslaught been on my mind lately. Was thinking of mOderN horizonS. An Onslaught-themed Horizons-style set. Decided I needed some free spells.

The "free"ness of them is debatable, as they have a high requirement, but that's the point.

Not sure on the power levels. Akroma just hits really effectively and Kamahl is only good with a board.

I was going to make them more tribal, but the legends aren't really tied to a tribe. I made up a new Bladewing because Rorix is RIP and I dunno the other two's lore.

Need a GW and GU land idea. I have some ideas that are ok, but don't wanna put 'em out there and influence any potential advice.
WU Birds
UB Zombies
BR Goblins
RG Beasts
GW ---
WB Clerics
UR Wizards
BG Elves
RW Soldiers
GU ---

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Onslaught been on my mind lately. Was thinking of mOderN horizonS. An Onslaught-themed Horizons-style set. Decided I needed some free spells.

The "free"ness of them is debatable, as they have a high requirement, but that's the point.
I hate that four of the legends check for five creatures of their color, but Akroma is looking for creatures with flying. I also hate that four of these are 6/6, but Kamahl is an 8/8. There’s something viscerally upsetting to me about cycles that almost but not quite sync up :oops:

I love the card text on Arcanis, though!

Alos, I feel like those frames combine the worst parts of old and new. They have that ugly black bottom but you still can't read white cards :p

But on a more serious note, these creatures are busted. They would see print today, onviously, but still be kinda shocking, and they don't fit Onslaught with that power level imho. That being said, I love the tribal duals.