General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Here are an assortment of odd decks that have 3-0'd in the last several months. Unfortunately I didn't always record the lists, but will do so from now on.
yt6dRG8.png

RnkrRvk.png

4dArkRk.png

Gi7N4sf.png

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Last night's winning deck, by Gert (hoooly crap):
r3IdPZ4.png

Sideboard included:
Psionic Blast
Mystical Tutor
Thirst for Knowledge
Koth
Geist of Saint Traft
Stromkirk Noble
Trinket Mage
Shardless Agent
Spikeshot Elder
Stifle
Trygon Predator
Vedalken Shackes
Forbid

Good god...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
You know, it's funny. The cube is too fast for a spell effect like Lighthouse, but on a land it actually works. Since we run a high density of fixing there is room in decks to run spell-lands (e.g. look at his mana base, one colorless land is never going to slow him down). Also, games run long even in fast cubes. I watched one yesterday where he and his opponent each had a slugfest and depleted all their resources, with really nothing but lands on either side of the table. Loothouse was free digging in that game, and he won with 1 life point remaining.

I didn't really see Chandra in action, except in one game against me where he was already so far ahead. I scooped the turn before he was going to hit ultimate loyalty with Chandra. I can imagine worse things than casting double Electrolyze.

CML

Contributor
i agree with the loothouse assessment, you can even play it in modern if you want. now is it worth a land slot when it produces colorless mana? i'd say no, not even in my cube. volrath's stronghold, drownyard, township, wolf run -- these are classics, but they already take up 4 slots. however! with jason's sweet utility-land post-draft drafts you can have your cake n eat it.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the whole point of the utility land draft was to address the "worth a spot in my deck, not worth a spot in my cube" conundrum. And the fact that it's just a pure net fun positive. I actively seek out negative criticism of the design, and of the 26 people who have played my cube since I implemented it, the response has been unanimously positive.

This whole utility land draft thing sounds sweet. It's got a real "why didn't I think of that" elegance to it. Is there anywhere on this forum where you describe it in more detail? I've only picked up bits and pieces of how it works. Out of curiosity how do you feel about the idea of opening it up to some utility non-lands? There have to be other sweet cards that are just a bit too narrow/marginal for the cube at large. I suppose one problem there would be that, while a land replaces a plains or something, a non-land is gonna be replacing an actual cube card.... I'm not saying it's a good idea, but hey, there's no harm in asking 'why not'.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
That was a pretty ballsy splash for Elspeth. Looks like that drafter got 5 white sources though, so maybe it works.

CML

Contributor
haha, yeah. modern jund always splashes white now for ajani v., lingering souls, path etc. so adding some white sources for lifegain elephant and battlemage is a funny riff on that. it's a little audacious to hope to cast bad elspeth too.

CML

Contributor
this thread needs an update from all y'all. i'll start:

assault loam (not great)
cube_assault_loam.jpg

reanimator (pretty great)
cube_ruprechtimator.jpg

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
These decks look pretty sweet. Glad the utility lands worked out so well for you. You even got the Mox Diamond / Loam thing going!

BW 2.png
*Not pictured because MTGO is lame: Icatian Store, Zelyon Sword, and Soldevi Adnate.

This 3-0'ed the draft last night. It was pretty brutal to see just how busted Sacred Mesa is in a format this underpowered. To give a little context, I drafted a deck with Dark Ritual and Necropotence. I would rather have Sacred Mesa in my deck than necro, not even close. Necro is incredibly powerful, but you can still lose, even if you land it on T1. Every time I saw Mesa resolve, it won the game within a handful of turns with little resistance.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I almost never ask this, but Jesse, do you have the list of cards that you can include in card tags? I don't know what a lot of these cards do, so it would be nice to be able to mouseover them instead of hunting them all down in Gatherer.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
No problem! I normally love MTGO shots for decklists, but it requires me actually knowing the cards. This is not an issue with most cubes, but here... :)

CML

Contributor
jesse's cube looks hilarious. cutting-edge design with old mirage cards!!! i love it

That's fun. I also like the flavor of frantically trying to spear the little buggers before they can all team up and summon the big scary monster. :p

Whereas, planned themes for my cube include proliferate and flicker. Javelineers is one of those rare cards that likes both :)