Diakonov's Cube (450)

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I love the artifact stuff you've got going on here. I see all kinds of spellbombs and whatnot for Goblin Welder and Daretti. How's that working out? Is that enough artifacts? Too many?

I'm thinking about adding a second Goblin Welder 2-squad instead of Daretti. Daretti just seems kinda worse than welder. The only potential issue is that someone could pick both welder squads and end up with four welders. Should that be a concern? Could be harmless.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
4 Welders seems like overkill to me. Daretti isn't bad, you can weld without summoning sickness and double looting is big game. It also isn't vulnerable to as much removal as welder, making it a little more consistent, even though you lose some of the silliness of instant speed swapping. I'm not sure I want such a specific effect to be that consistent.

What does second sunrise do? It seems awkward. I mean, you get value situations here and there, but it seems a bit too 3 mana and reactive maybe? I have an unnatural love for Ready // Willing, but even though that has a reasonable proactive mode, it didn't really make decks. Second Sunrise can't blow people out the same way, so I'm assuming you are trying to get extra value off of sacrifices effects, but it still seems awkward. The card is pretty unique and sometimes it can be a really weird white counterspell, so if its got more play then it seems at first glance, tell me about it!

So my main goal with welding effects is have a strategy of incremental gains / toolbox rather than cost-cheating. Welder is great for that since you can get it running right away and do something every turn. With Daretti you need four mana and he can only weld every other turn.

I've only played with Daretti a couple times now, but his looting ability has been sorta disappointing since it's really a rummaging goblin effect. It's SO much worse than Dack Fayden's + ability.

Also, I feel like he's similarly vulnerable to welder since he can be attacked--especially if you want to use his weld right away.

Perhaps I'm underestimating him, though. If things go a bit in your favor, he's an engine unto himself.

Second Sunrise has been an experimental card and I agree with everything you've said about it. If it doesn't do anything impressive in the next couple drafts I'll probably cut it.

So now that I've begun to implement an artifact theme mostly centered around red and blue, I'm ready to start experimenting with an enchantment theme centered around white and green.

Where the heck do I start.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
An aggro enchantment deck with good GW guys (e.g. Fleecemane Lion and Voice of Resurgence, both of which are conveniently well-suited to suiting up creatures) is fairly easy to build into a Cube. For a midrange/control/combo/whatever enchantment deck, you have to ensure it can keep pace with the other slower strategies in your Cube. Taking a look at your list, you have Aetherling, Craterhoof Behemoth, Angel of Serenity, Catastrophe, Sphinx's Revelation, Nicol Bolas, Thundermaw Hellkite... these cards will shred a slow Constellation deck unless you can find a way to convert an impressive board into a win quickly.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Semi-related, I looked at both Faith healer and Auratog and decided neither of which were really good enough, and am now going to run try Auratog+Lifelink, which is good with both Demonic Pact and an enchantment theme.

Constellation decks can outgrind almost anything, but are definitely vulnerable to being bombed out. The Craterhoof/Angel of Serenity/Nicol Bolas cards that are usually going to go over you. These cards don't really care baout your incidental lifegain and your extra draws might not matter. When playing against them you need to close it out fast, disrupt them (something like Fulminator Mage/Phyrexian Reclamation) or get off a huge replenish. My cube has cards like Mana Breech, Mana Vortex and Sunder in blue to help (I might do Manabarbs or Impending Disaster again at some point as well), but if you are doing your enchantments in G/W or G/W/B its tricky. Demonic Pact is going to help here, actually, bringing reach AND disruption in the same card.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I meant an auratog with the lifelink keyword. He's clearly good with Spirit Loop and I did consider the card, but the impact level wasn't there.

Semi-related, I looked at both Faith healer and Auratog and decided neither of which were really good enough, and am now going to run try Auratog+Lifelink, which is good with both Demonic Pact and an enchantment theme.

Constellation decks can outgrind almost anything, but are definitely vulnerable to being bombed out. The Craterhoof/Angel of Serenity/Nicol Bolas cards that are usually going to go over you. These cards don't really care baout your incidental lifegain and your extra draws might not matter. When playing against them you need to close it out fast, disrupt them (something like Fulminator Mage/Phyrexian Reclamation) or get off a huge replenish. My cube has cards like Mana Breech, Mana Vortex and Sunder in blue to help (I might do Manabarbs or Impending Disaster again at some point as well), but if you are doing your enchantments in G/W or G/W/B its tricky. Demonic Pact is going to help here, actually, bringing reach AND disruption in the same card.
As with the artifact theme, it will be across all five colors, but with a lot of the enablers being focused in G/W. I actually do run Sunder, and Mana Vortex has been in and out if my cube, so your suggestion is realistic for my situation.

Let's not fuck around here, I've been looking for a good excuse to cut Craterhoof and Angel of Serenity.