General "Draw a card."

CML

Contributor
Please enlighten me, I've been stumbling around between cards I hate like wall of denial and geist of saint traft and cards that don't seem to work the way I want them to like azorius charm and augury adept, the only slam dunk so far being azorius guildmage herself.

well you gotta run Venser, the Sojourner. beyond that azorius charm and brago, king eternal are options while sphinx's revelation and geist of saint traft are a good fit for my powerfulish environment

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
My gold section, especially Azorius, probably isn't the best representation of the power of my cube though. I deliberately run only one multi-color planeswalker (Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas) to keep down the number of planeswalkers in my cube, no hexproof to keep games interactive (so Geist is out) and I don't own a Sphinx's Revelation :D

I have this weird (AKA bad) way of not counting cards like sejiri merfolk and dauntless river marshal (and similar) as gold cards, because while you do need the other land type, so you're technically playing that color, for the card's full effect, they CAN be played without them- before you draw the color etc, and my players already take dual lands highly, so even if they aren't playing white at all, they would take Hallowed Fountain and Arid Mesa and still play blue, so why not play those sejiri merfolk? It just doesn't quite feel gold to me.

I think I cut venser after he became teleportal that Wx aggro decks splashed for more than ETB valuetown, and I wanted to try other things. Hadn't seen curse of chains but narcolepsy didn't go over well when I tried it. X/1s.dec is already punishable enough in my list, so players wouldn't take Lyev skyknight. (I suppose I could come off that slightly) Completely forgot about Brago though.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I have this weird (AKA bad) way of not counting cards like sejiri merfolk and dauntless river marshal (and similar) as gold cards, because while you do need the other land type, so you're technically playing that color, for the card's full effect, they CAN be played without them- before you draw the color etc, and my players already take dual lands highly, so even if they aren't playing white at all, they would take Hallowed Fountain and Arid Mesa and still play blue, so why not play those sejiri merfolk? It just doesn't quite feel gold to me.

It kinda depends. Lingering Souls and Sijirri Merfolk might be okay without their respective splash colors, but they're really bad. Things like kird ape are stone unplayable.

But again, as we've always said, there's no need to keep the number of gold cards equal anyways. You could have 5 of one pair and 2 of another, and your drafters will only slightly notice the difference