Sets [DTK] Dragons of Tarkir Spoilers Thread

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, I'm really going to miss drafting Khans. The aesthetic of that set was goofy as all heck when it first previewed, so I wasn't expecting it to be as robust and fun a limited set as it turned out to be. Like GenericZero, I'm worried that Dragons will be another AVR in terms of draft, but there's really no way to know without trying it for ourselves.

Despite being a Timmy at heart, this set's theme doesn't resonate with me at all. DRAGONS! I mean, sure, I could take them or leave them. The Spikier cards like the commands seem just okay for cube, though they'll probably make a bigger impact in formats like Standard and Modern. I have no idea how we ended up with zero playable rebound cards, though, when Rise yielded at least three that are borderline cubeable.

Against all odds, the thing I find the most interesting about this set is its storyline. I'm reading Uncharted Realms every single week on the mothership with rapt attention, which is something I've never done before. Did Ugin wake up? Does Nicol Bolas know that Ugin is still alive? Are they building up for epic confrontation round two? I must know!

CML

Contributor
You know, for the last several years I've been bitching about bombs in retail Limited worsening the experience. This is a great idea because we could actually find out. Anyone done this before?

obscuringaether.jpg

I only see this as a Pouncing Jaguar. It can attack for 2 on turn two, but after that his just a 3 mana 2/2. You'd have to have a lot of Morph creatures in your deck (5+) to get decent value. To make sure you get that many morphs in a deck youd need to put in loads of morph dudes.

The cards does nothing! Yay! Such fun design!

I guess you could use it in EDH. Your friend builds a deck which is awesome with polymorph, then you use it on him during the game. Then you lose to him...wait. Damn this card is soooo bad.

The cards does nothing! Yay! Such fun design!

I guess you could use it in EDH. Your friend builds a deck which is awesome with polymorph, then you use it on him during the game. Then you lose to him...wait. Damn this card is soooo bad.

I wanna blame someone for this. Like a specific someone. Whoever is responsible for "target opponent" instead of "target player". Maybe people would play more dragons if we could POLYMORPH into DRAGONS!

it's probably development putting a safeguard

the thing about it though is that doing something so halfway is worse than not doing it at all

This set seems great for standard and it really ups the removal density, speed and variety in limited.
The draft format is going to be quite different with so much emphasis being put on 2 colour pairs and 4/4 fliers. I don't think it's very fair to be treating this like a normal block and this set cube thing seems like a strange argument to be having.

Anyhow I'm very excited about the mini tooth and nail and most people should be considering at least a couple dragons from this set, my current favourites being the 4 drop, sulimgar and atarka.

The command cycle is a lot of fun, but I think the main way this set suffers in cube is that its best cards are mainly gold. Tarkir block's art and setting may sorta bore me but I think it's been a standout in a lot of ways. Really impressed.

Nono, you don't see it, bless reincarnation gets awesome as long as you play gilded drake!
Then your opponent gets to reveal cards.

I think this is the worst constructed card printed in years, unless I'm missing something. In retail limited it might be good at keeping your opponent from winning with bombs...

Then your opponent gets to reveal cards.

I think this is the worst constructed card printed in years, unless I'm missing something. In retail limited it might be good at keeping your opponent from winning with bombs...

Aww, I misread it :(

It looks to me like Fate will fit together better with Dragons than it did with Khans. I think triple Khans will probably be the best version of the block, though.

Is it necessarily a constructed card though?
It's not a card. It is an insult - I think anyone who casts it will generally feel at best underwhelmed and then have to cast it again on the rebound.
I would never play it in any format that involves any amount of deck construction. Maybe Type 4 - presumably there would be a chance of my opponent ripping a Phage or something. I guess I might cast it in Jhoira basic too

A fair polymorph is no polymorph at all. I like the idea of a blue mage transfiguring a bird into a gigantic mechanical whale. It's what magic is all about.