Card/Deck Dusk / Dawn

Dusk (Sorcery)
2WW
Destroy all creatures with power 3 or greater.

3WW
Dawn 3WW
Aftermath (Cast this spell only from your graveyard, then exile it.)
Return all creature cards with power 2 or less from your graveyard to your hand.

Opinion on the new card? It's in one of the most competitive slots for any cube. I could maybe see this as a placeholder for armageddon and ravages, or if your not a fan of those cards, but want a WW game closer.

This is a cool card, and even cooler mechanic. I don't know how much cubes want this specific effect, as I think even the aggressive decks have enough 3 power creatures to make this bad, but there are a number of windows where that works.

More importantly--this mechanic is pretty awesome. Flashback is sweet since it gives you so much value off of one card, and this is more of the same except with giving you some interesting discard decisions when that's applicable. I'm really excited to see what the rest produce, and I hope there are some good basic ones a la firebolt that aren't too flashy but are super efficient. Like, it would be sweet tot get a 2/1 for R that has a flashback cost of 1R shock or something like that. (Saw something similar to that somewhere else, so not an original thought but something that seems super appealing.)

Like, it would be sweet tot get a 2/1 for R that has a flashback cost of 1R shock or something like that. (Saw something similar to that somewhere else, so not an original thought but something that seems super appealing.)

Saw that on Salvation. I feel it's genius. I'm hoping to get more perspectives on the card by posting here too. I've seen mentioning of gifts, looting, and <3 power ETB's. I'm really hoping these cards are built around already viable cube decks to get the best use of them. This one would be hard to include so far.

Edit: I could see this in GW with WOO and WOB. I'd call the deck "The Defenders" :p
Edit 2: Riftsweeper with more of these.

I love this card also. Have a resurrection I will gladly swap out for this. I think the real kicker for me is that it's got the more powerful "creatures with power 2 or less". Great in {B}{W} where it can restart a grind-fest from the ground up.

I've already for quite some time been partial to power-2-or-less, and I'm thrilled to see WotC continue to support the theme of small creatures using the exact same condition rather than branching out and counting toughness or CMC or using different numbers for "small" power, so kudos to them for that. I think there's lots of room for control decks that want this: decks that are interested in Alesha tend to have things like Bone Shredder, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Eternal Witness effects, Reveillark, Mentor of the Meek, Recruiter of the Guard...I could easily see there being long game decks that are interested in small creatures and short-game decks that are interested in this card. Suppose you're beating down with small creatures. In the best case scenario this clears blockers and lets you alpha strike for lethal. In medium case scenarios, though, this will help you keep the damage train rolling and keep the beaters off your back while you continue your plan of getting in for damage with small creatures while generating value. Decks needn't be laser-focused, and I think the low-curve-with-a-long-game-plan strategy is underplayed and under-represented in cube design. As far as I'm concerned this thing is a home run.

It's also worth noting that this card double-supports the graveyard theme, much like Unburial Rites does, by being castable from the graveyard and also interacting with the graveyard. The important difference here is that while Rites only gets back one thing, this gets back lots of things, so it incentivizes drafters to fill their graveyard up with lots of cards rather than two specific ones, like how Gifts Ungiven interacts with Rites.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The translation on mythic spoiler (Feel free to correct me if you actually know the lamguage) says return to hand at the moment, I'm not sure this is really an unburial rights type card, more creeping renaissance which I'm far less excited about.

Also quick hits: Love the concept, hate the frame, excited to see literal zero of the ideas I'd like to see explored with this mechanic in this set, and for it to disappear and never come back after.
Like I'll be a happy man if some of these split cards are of different types (Like Enchantment // Sorcery) but I'm not optimistic. I'm gonna be making cards with this kind of mechanic like it's Evoke 2.0 tho

duskdawn.jpg

Yeah I'm not saying it's quite so mechanically similar to Unburial Rites as that, just that it mirrors Rites' tendency to be excellent support for graveyard strategies by being both the peanut butter and the jelly, so to speak.

This card slots well into B/W Aggressive shells as a Retribution of the Meek variant. The mechanic is interesting, I like that design space they're exploring, but I can't get over the frame. Unless there's some wonky permanent/nonpermanent combination for a few of these, they should have just made it a split card. It looks so tacky.

The translation is spot on, name included.

I also like the concept and hate the frame. The art is totally squished and it highlights the bad formatting (lack/asymmetry of padding) in text boxes.

Am I the only one who liked the tombstone icon?

Laz

Developer
Man, cool card. Looks truly horrific though, and for no particularly compelling reason. We already had wording which did this (excepting perhaps something coming back as a permanent, but I am not sure how this mechanic would interact with something becoming a permanent anyway ('if it would leave the battlefield, exile it instead'?)) with cards like Geistblast and Increasing Devotion.

Here is a simple mockup using the Increasing Devotion wording:
UwzVOAx.png

Ignore the messed up case on CARDNAME, but it looks so much cleaner. You can't put it sideways in your graveyard to easily see what it does, but eh, you couldn't do that with Geistblast...

Am I the only one who liked the tombstone icon?
No you are not.

This card format also will create a fun new set of rules. Does it have both card names at all times? What is the CMC? It is somewhat similar to split cards, but those represent two spells that can be cast from the same zone. Is this the former card in the hand and the latter card in the graveyard? Can I Snap Cast back the Dusk half? Is it effectively immune to Surgical Extraction?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
This card format also will create a fun new set of rules. Does it have both card names at all times? What is the CMC? It is somewhat similar to split cards, but those represent two spells that can be cast from the same zone. Is this the former card in the hand and the latter card in the graveyard? Can I Snap Cast back the Dusk half? Is it effectively immune to Surgical Extraction?

It has both names in all zones. Since it's a split card (though a horribly done one) it's essentially got two names, and things like meddling mage will only stop you from casting the respective half (Name Wear, for eg and you can cast Tear, but not fuse it)

It's CMC is 4 & 5, which means you lose 9 life flipping it off bob, but Void Winnower will only let you cast the 5 cmc part

You can snapcast the front half, and once you've done so you have the option of casting either half. (Front using it's newly gained flashback cost or the back half "normally")

All Aftermath says is "Aftermath - Cast this spell only from your graveyard, then exile it." What does this have to do with surgical extraction, which even says "choose a card"?

So yeah, all those questions do get raised, but for the most part people figured out those answers in invasion/ravnica/time spiral/RTR

"You can snapcast the front half, and once you've done so you have the option of casting either half. (Front using it's newly gained flashback cost or the back half "normally")"

How can you snapcast something twice? Did you mean to say cast?

"You can snapcast the front half, and once you've done so you have the option of casting either half. (Front using it's newly gained flashback cost or the back half "normally")"

How can you snapcast something twice? Did you mean to say cast?

I'm sure that's what he meant. Does anyone have some dream deck lists using this card?

For cube?

You'll just jam it in literally any white aggro list. This is a good stuff bomb for aggro decks, which is amazing.

Unfortunately not. T1 2/1, T2 2/X, T3 anthem makes this a dead card for one half unless you can discard it. That of course won't always happen, but I know that this is a pretty common goal for a number of aggressive white sections.

I would. That late game boost is so good for a color that has a hard time finding ways to reach. I also don't run anthems, my W aggro decks use Rally the Peasants.

I see this being even better for Wx "tempo" decks. UW blink has a smorgasbord of 2 and 1 (and 0) power creatures it's looking to reuse for value. Mass GY recursion is a sweet angle to add to the deck. Even gets Brago, King eternal back!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I also think it kind of shifts the focus away from what I was responding too: that this card doesn't really need specialized builds in cube, and is just about providing a raw, powerful effect, for small creature decks.

I have no doubt there are lots of lists that can come up with reasons not to run it.