Eric Chan's Modern cube (405)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah that's one I put in there at Dom's suggestion on the Skype chat, when we were talking about how black needs more ways than just Vampire Nighthawk to recoup the life loss from all of its card advantage spells. Have yet to see it in action!

Laz

Developer
I am pretty partial to Spinning Darkness. I haven't put it into any cubes yet, but it is a cool card.

I don't know if any of the Extort cards are of a reasonable standard, but it is a neat life-gain mechanic.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
the lack of any playable extort cards outside of limited is the biggest waste of a mechanic in the last couple years, I feel, probably followed by the lack of a playable outlast card

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Spend only black mana on X :(

I am pretty partial to Spinning Darkness. I haven't put it into any cubes yet, but it is a cool card.

I don't know if any of the Extort cards are of a reasonable standard, but it is a neat life-gain mechanic.

I love the idea, but it stone raining you is a big loss. It's amazing how much worse stuff like blood artist would be if you had to pay 1 per trigger.
the lack of any playable extort cards outside of limited is the biggest waste of a mechanic in the last couple years, I feel, probably followed by the lack of a playable outlast card

I agree, I really hope some dopey commander set gives us like, a land with extort. That'd be sweet :D
As for an outlast guy, Abzan Falconer has actually been a decent body on his own (with the sweet upside of levitation in the right deck)
It kinda seems like the sort of mechanic that wouldn't play well in cube no matter the push: you have to wait a turn, then give up blocking AND pay mana?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Abzan Falconer is the shit.

Disowned Ancestor and Herald of Anafenza are niche cards that do stuff, but probably can't hack it in most cubes.

Tuskguard Captain is alright, but now with warrior support, Bramblewood Paragon is usually better.

Syndic of Tithes is a good two drop. Its the kind of card you want to ensure stays out so you can incrementally take over, but its a two toughness creature so good luck with that. An extort land would be nuts, but an extort enchantment would probably work.Blind Obedience, though, is probably not the card we want, the impact is pretty situational.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Abzan Falconer is the shit.

Disowned Ancestor and Herald of Anafenza are niche cards that do stuff, but probably can't hack it in most cubes.

Tuskguard Captain is alright, but now with warrior support, Bramblewood Paragon is usually better.

Syndic of Tithes is a good two drop. Its the kind of card you want to ensure stays out so you can incrementally take over, but its a two toughness creature so good luck with that. An extort land would be nuts, but an extort enchantment would probably work.Blind Obedience, though, is probably not the card we want, the impact is pretty situational.

ETB Tapped Add {1} extort land too stronk?

If Syndic of Tithes had any keyword, e.g. first strike, we might be talking... but as is, he's pretty underwhelming.

Imposing Sovereign isn't the strongest two-drop, so I can't imagine the do-nothing enchantment version is better?

Ooo! Ooooo! I know this one!!
L6tb6jR.png

(Sturdy, not Prowess)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Huuuuuuge update

- Human theme is gone! Champion of the Parish was cute, but was still just a vanilla */* at the end of the day. I'm looking both to slow down my environment by half a turn or so, and to make weenie rush more interesting, so Champions no longer fit the bill.
- Less generic midrange good stuff that are easy includes for any decks in their colour, but don't push any archetypes forward (Desecration Demon, Creeperhulk, Siege Rhino).
- Land destruction theme removed in Gruul, replaced by a lands-matter theme.
- Way fewer multicolour creatures, and fewer gold cards period. A lot of them were boring pseudo-vanilla bodies (e.g. Dreg Mangler, Flinthoof Boar) that didn't pull their weight.
- Upgraded some spot removal here and there - less removal that checks toughness (e.g. Sunlance, Last Gasp), because big stuff needs killing too.
- Go harder on the enchantment theme. Not sure yet if it'll sink or swim, but only one way to find out.
- A couple cards axed on power level (Thundermaw Hellkite, Myr Battlesphere, Ashiok), to give themes like enchantments and lands-matter room to breathe.
- Higher spell density overall - overall creature ratio is down from ~49% to ~46%. My strongest player pointed out that my format is very creature-centric, and doesn't leave a whole lot of room for more spell-heavy decks; I'd like to change that.

Out:

In:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Interesting. I've been on the fence about champ for a while now, and he seems like the kind of slot where you don't need to complicate things. (Same way I feel about evasive action)

I was wondering when you'd pick up swift reckoning, it seems very you :p

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, the thing with white one-drops is that there's no real wrong answer. You can do Jason's Steppe Lynx/fetchland package (read: don't do Jason's Steppe Lynx/fetchland package); you can do human tribal; you can run all the Savannah Lions; you can do the newfangled warrior thing; you can go the CML Soul Warden route. I'm not convinced any of those options are really interesting, though, nor that this problem is unique to white. So I'm kind of seeing if I can sidestep this kerfuffle entirely by slowing the format down half a notch, thereby de-emphasizing the need to draft one-drops in your aggro deck. I've really wanted to run a full set of temples in the main draft for a while, too, after seeing how useful they've been in Standard for all manner of decks, and that's only possible if you can sometimes afford to play a tapland turn one because you don't have to cast a one drop.

I dunno, we'll see. This could be something that goes nowhere, but I'll at least have explored this avenue.