Estoril Cube

Why I'm working on this Cube?
The reason I'm working on this cube is that my playgroup is comprised of my best friends and close acquaintances that want a "zero compromise outside of meeting to play" affair, just like a board game, yet in our eyes no board game can ever compare to Magic; the mechanical intricacies, the art and the nostalgia it elicits in us simply cannot be overcome by Dixit, Dominion or any other substitute, all games were missing something magical.

We've never been a very competitive group, most of us did not care for standard, game stores in our country brought assorted booster boxes from all expansions, so you could go and buy a tempest tournament deck and an alliances booster so you would just go and and play with those. Our first contact with a constructed format after just randomly assembling piles of cards was Vintage (Type 1 as it was used to be called), and most of the tournaments we were involved in were organized by me at a a local game store that no longer exists, as we thought that Type 2 restrictions were stupid.

As life kept getting more complicated it became almost impossible for most of us to go to a game store during a weekend to trade and catch some games, and money became an issue when most of us went to university making it impossible to keep up with the Type 1 meta, so after a decade long hiatus starting with Mirrodin, we decided to get Commander decks and play that. Within a couple of months power creep got the best of us, some members of the group couldn't keep up and began to drop from the sessions.

It seemed that real life made impossible for us to play Magic again, until one day I was looking for content to watch on the GDC Channel and I stumbled upon a presentation by Mark Rosewater, and by happenstance after that video finished, Youtube decided to autoplay Color Commontary 95: The Cube Episode... my mind was blown, THIS IS IT! and thus the journey for theory and content began.

Since Youtube is the place where thought goes to die (as evidenced and exploited by "how to basic"), besides the basic introduction by the Tolarian Community College Profesor I only found endless draft videos of the MODO Cube, and being completely unseduced by the cheap "content", which could only be worse on Twitch or Mixer, I widened my search outside content platforms for lazy people.

The first source I found outside of streaming media was MTGS forums; lurked for a couple of days, saw a lot of "defining X, Y, Z" threads, a lot of card tier lists, and similar min-maxing exercises, so at first I shook my head thinking that those people don't get the potential of what we are dealing with in Cube, but I was mostly O K with them being naive, until I got saturated by overly negative and absolutely unsolicited replies in the casualest of threads (for example Your "Pet"-est card), and decided that participating wasn't worth it, as the crowd there is utterly obsessed with "defining" as a means to simplify the process of buying social validation, nor is the rest of the content worth parsing, as being a video game developer by trade I quickly realized that the whole dogma behind the Power Max Cube quickly devolves into just another consumer treadmill, and since I already don't play Asian MMOs or Mobile F2P games, I wasn't gonna fall for that.

Suddenly I remembered a Web 2.0 zombie platform called Blogger, where people wrote things that no one read, so there was a chance of finding individuality, searching there I found the aptly named: http://mtgcube.blogspot.com/ and read Every. Single. Post. I didn't agree with a lot of it, but it was a person, with an actual perspective that went above and beyond "this card sucks, this one is better". I was/am enthralled by this Nick Nobody person, there was hope in the world as I found at least one more person that didn't fall for an idiotic min-maxing exercise, but I wanted some back and forth.

Then I went back to social media, because I remembered that there is a place that while being another shitty "social" network, makes it pretty damn near impossible to become an "influencer" through sheer volume of shit posted, so content is average on average; Reddit. MTGCube there already had a more diverse clash of philosophies (or just complete lack of them) compared to the Power Max Dogma of MTGS, which really surprised me as Reddit is designed to foster group think. I kept reading but didn't participate as the conversation is quite basic, and I wasn't going to install additional shit on my cellphone only to avoid pesky pop ups urging me to install additional shit on my cellphone.

I kept longing for the whole "forum" experience, with long form posts, thoughtful responses and autistic essays that no one asked for, such as this one. Then one day while surfing older posts on reddit I saw a post where people were going ballistic over this Jason Waddell article. I thought "this person must have something interesting to say, people wouldn't feel so threatened otherwise". Read all of his articles, didn't think that he was saying anything THAT controversial, which made me realize that most people operate on a cargo cult level of comprehension, he just made them feel insecure about their dogma, as the articles themselves were pretty tame. Did some more googling and arrived here, lurked for quite a while, saw Grillo_Parlante's posts, CML stuff about the pro tour that resonated a lot with me, then there was the Alter Thread; I always loved the idea of alters, but I was on this speculative mindset that forebode me from "diminishing the value" of cards by defacing them, but that thread made me realize that the cube is for me and my friends, I own the cards, they don't own me, so I went ahead and "defaced" some cards and basically fell in love with the community, as it made me change one shitty thing about my own perception of the world :D

The Cube
Right now it is a pile. Originally I was designing this uber polished list straight out of excel and the plan was to order all the cards once I was done, but then one of my friends found a box of cards in his basement, and threw my plan out of the window.

As most creative endeavors it is better to start with a rough draft and iterate towards a goal than sticking to some platonic ideal, so I began to build right away with what we had. We've drafted it twice, and we had a blast, but the intention is to move away from this pile and make a synergistic selection of cards that do not feel as we had shuffled together a bunch of decks that must be unshuffled before we play.

At the moment it is not polished at all, so I want to set some restrictions first to guide the process, and document what I think was one of the neatest discoveries of just using what we had.

The restrictions
  1. Size: 360 180 Cards. Most of the time it's 2 to 3 players and we want to have a lot of variance to keep it fresh. cross pollination to pack as many viable strategies and synergies as possible.
  2. Singleton: We'll keep it singleton with mechanical reprints, I know this is absurd design wise, but aesthetics wise I rather see Elves of Deep Shadow one draft and Llanowar Elves the next one.
  3. Non-land Singleton with mechanical reprints: Due to aesthetic and gameplay reasons we prefer akin cards; We aim to have Elves of Deep Shadow and Llanowar Elves, but no Fyndhorn elves, and due to gameplay reasons we prefer to have a better manabase that allows for more diverse decks, and thus currently we use playsets of Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds.
  4. Unpowered: We think that inclusion of original Moxen overemphasizes the value of starting hands, we prefer to have more decision points during the evolution of the game.
  5. Equal Distribution of Coloured Cards
  6. Average Casting Cost per colour under 3
  7. No utility or removal on multicoloured cards: I want to have those cards be signposts of the available archetypes in the cube.
  8. Hatred , Morphling, Overrun and Wildfire: These are the cards that the group loves, the moment one of these becomes a recurrent last pick it will be the moment the cube gets powered down (Morphling and Overrun got removed from this "must have" list because we realized they were mostly nostalgia, their play patterns aren't great).
  9. No single colour Planeswalkers: We want to desincentivize Superfriends as an archetype.
  10. No triple coloured mana symbols on casting costs: Triple coloured mana requirements add too much to the odds of colour screw.
  11. Cheat effects should put you at the most on a three turn clock to find an answer: It's fun to Tinker things into existence, but it's not fun to face a nigh impossible to remove Eldrazi with anhilator on turn two. As long as you get enough turns to race or to find an answer you still are playing interactive magic.
  12. Two card combos should appear from turn four: Hatred plus an evasive creature and similar "combos" that randomly steal victories, should not happen faster than two turns before the average aggro deck goldfish.
Interesting Findings
  1. Mana Myrs instead of Signets: This happened because we simply didn't own a full cycle of signets, we found that it was fun to have ramp being so fragile and versatile outside of green. Copy pasting my comment on the Cultic Cube thread:
    They are just a little less powerful than Mirage mana rocks because they can be easily disrupted with white/black creature removal, red direct damage and green/red/white artifact removal, while they play nice with Myr Battlesphere (which I like as a Tinker target), hold equipment or auras, crew vehicles and chump block on a pinch, leading to more interesting board states and interactions.

I'm planning to add a Palladium Myr and a Copper Myr in our next big update, tho I'm worried that it won't hold up as well once we reach 360 cards, and that will push me to find a very divergent mana base from the average cube.

2. Gold Cards:
    I think there’s two approaches—one is, as you mention, making sure gold cards are powerful enough to justify their intensive costs and draw players into those colors. The other is to use gold cards as “draft signposts” which clearly advertise the guild’s unique strengths and appeal to the drafter via their “flashiness”. The former is better from a balance/competitive perspective, the latter is more suited to casual or inexperienced drafter. I think the best gold cards do both, but it’s hard to find enough of them
  3. Hybrid Cards: A good selection of hybrid color cards (with less than 3 hybrid mana pips) will increase the option density during draft allowing for stronger options for decks that are mono color in essence. (4)
    hybrid cards are the OPPOSITE of gold cards; they're EASIER to cast. Kitchen Finks is easier to cast than Mirran Crusader, for example. So they don't require extra fixing to support them, unlike gold cards; this means you can put them in in addition to the gold without worrying about overtaxing mana bases in the cube.
  4. Build Arounds: To increase drafting and deckbuilding options we should make heavy use of build arounds (Thanks for the thread link Nanonox).
    By adding some sweet build-arounds (and maybe some tutors), one can give a draft another dimension with the least possible space taken up (one card literally).
  5. Land Based Mana Fixing: This is a tough challenge for a micro cube, we were already struggling to find space at 180 cards by following conventional wisdom; 10 dual lands and 10 fetches (ASFAN 0.83 at 360), and even then we never liked that with less than 4 players you could easily end up in a situation were we would see fixing that is off colour, causing those cards to be essentially dead cards.
    The term “breaking singleton” refers to the act including more than one copy of a given card in a cube environment. In some cubing circles it is considered somewhat taboo, as the early proponents of the cubing format envisioned it as a singleton collection of the game’s most powerful cards. Gradually that vision has shifted, as players demand an experience defined less by its novelty and more by the quality of the gameplay.

While we wanted to improve the quality of the gameplay, it was certainly impossible to indulge in waddelisms; 10 dual lands and 20 fetches (ASFAN 1.25 at 360) would consume too much of the available space. So we settled with 8 lands that can fetch any colour; Terramorphic Expanse, Evolving Wilds (ASFAN 0.65 at 180) and it certainly feels ok, even allowing for 3 colour decks, but it is not perfect and the current selection punishes 2 colour aggro strategies, and thus we've decided to aim for 12 fixing lands (ASFAN 1 at 180); City of Brass, Prismatic Vista and Fabled Passage. (5)
Reference Texts
  1. Limited Design: 3/2 For Three is the Place to Be
  2. The Combat Cube
  3. Option Density
  4. Managing Hybrid Color Cards in Cube
  5. Breaking Singleton

Archetypes:

I've been thinking a lot about the archetype support, specifically about how designing around two colour pairs may lead to the feeling of having 10 different decks that are shuffled together and must be unshuffled before being able to sit down and play.

Within this forum's threads I've found several principles that have informed my rationale. I found "Broad Archetypes" particularly interesting, but I feel that centering archetypes around 4 colours may be a little too broad (and overwhelming for me to curate), so I'm settling on broader archetypes per 3 colour combination.

Jund - {R}{G}{B} - Rock
- The plan is to control the board through superior removal, then finish the game with the strongest and most resilient creatures in the cube.

Bant - {W}{G}{U} - Blink
- The plan is to accrue value through repeated use of ETB triggers.

Grixis - {B}{R}{U} - Sui
- The plan is to use aggressive evasive creatures and disruption, stealing victories through combo like finishers and enablers; Currently packing Hatred and Mystical Tutor, while looking for a Vampiric Tutor, Reforge the Soul and Temporal Mastery.

Naya - {G}{W}{R} - 'Geddon
- The plan is to ramp into a midsized creature and then using mass land disruption to stall the opponent; Need Armaggedon and Dragonlord Atarka.

Esper - {U}{W}{B} - Keeper
- The plan is to have an answer ready for anything and close the game with an inevitable finisher; Currently missing from my list Approach of the Second Sun

Jeskai - {U}{R}{W} - Trash
- The plan is to abuse artifact synergies and cheat into play effects to play powerful artifacts ahead of the curve; I still need to get Enlightened Tutor, Tinker and Gearhulks in these colours for this to be a reality)

Mardu - {R}{W}{B} - Knights
- The plan is to play aggro with Knight tribal synergies. Linear and simple dumb fun.

Sultai - {B}{G}{U} - Yard
- The plan is to get value out of putting cards in the graveyard. Currently thinking how to best support this. A grindier strategy could work better than a faster reanimator build, specially if Dredge cards are paired with Laboratory Maniac once I get my hands on one.

Temur - {G}{U}{R} - Gro
- The plan is to play creatures and permanents that benefit from you playing a steady stream of inexpensive spells and cantrips.

Abzan - {W}{B}{G} - Stax
- The plan is to break the symmetry of Stax effects with token production and get the efficient value out of sacrifice outlets; I need to get a few more cards to make it consistent (Rankle, Bitter Blossom).

This post is a WIP, I'll keep editing as I fill out the archetypes.

Wishlist:

In order to better plan our acquisitions, and having actual tools to test drafts, we made a wishlist on Cube Cobra that contains our current understanding of the "ideal cube" within our preferencrs and the constrains we set up.

This has helped tremendously to decide what to cut every time we get one of the cards we want to test for inclusion.