[Feedback/Tuning] SOMROE (Fantasy Set)

Thanks to and inspiration from fun memories, Grillo_Parlantes’s ”Penny Pincer Cube” project (particularly the artifact/golem themes, bounce-land mentality and to all of the folks that assisted with the project), and to tilt_aint_sexy, grapplingfarang and AlmightyGnat for testing sealed with me on Magic Online.

Compleat Descending (working title), A “Limited Masters” Fantasy Set
(What is a fantasy set? It’s designed like a cube, but packs are made similar to conventional Magic: the Gathering boosters in an attempt to recreate the traditional draft experience. Such a collection of cards involves a few hundred unique cards and close to one thousand total cards with which to create the packs. Check out some pictures of pack creation for this project to further illustrate this concept: http://imgur.com/a/DFBE3 )

A marriage of Rise of the Eldrazi and Scars of Mirrodin Block, this fantasy set aims to meld the tension and themes of each limited environment with cards from Magic’s vast backlog to create dynamic gameplay experiences.

Rise of the Eldrazi is famous for its rich drafting experience with a plethora of build-around archetypes as well as smooth mana-usage system to advance the game state as the turns increment. Scars of Mirrodin Block is infamous for its resurrection of the poison counter, a mechanic that has affected almost every constructed format, but beyond the damage tension created by infect, it also featured interplay between artifact- and non-artifact-centric cards. A simple card like Shatter could be a mulligan or a Doom Blade, depending on the composition of the opponent’s draft and build: delectable!

Lastly, it should be noted that this project was constrained by the financial value of cards included. No card was to be over five dollars, but the majority of cards were to be under a dollar. This set is meant to be able to be drafted with less well-known individuals at little risk of theft; the entire construction (sans basics) was under 200 dollars after shipping and most of that is just in bulk around 10 cents per card! (In most situations, it should be more annoying to replace stolen cards than the monetary cost stung a wallet.)

Driving Mechanics

True to the union described above, to most frequent mechanics present are from SOM and ROE: Infect, Proliferate, Level up, Eldrazi Spawn, Metalcraft. Including these marquee abilities, several additional concepts aid to recreate and evolve the parent experiences. The following mechanics are the core:

· Counters of the -1/-1 variety (wither, infect, persist, etc.): The infect threat has created one of the more interesting dichotomies in limited Magic. Along with the awkwardness of decks including infect and non-infect creatures, the -1/-1 counters dealt during damage slowly accrue to diminish the strength of larger power and toughness. Wither and persist add to the interplay already occurring.

· Proliferate: Primarily, this added to poison and -1/-1 counters in SOM, but there are additional cards with counters that gain an advantage, including level up in this set.

· Levelers, strive, invokers, equip costs, repeatable activated abilities, CMC5+ spells: Both SOM and ROE had numerous cards that allowed players to invest spare mana to further develop their board state, whether through activated abilities or large mana costs.

· Spawn, mana ramp, bounce lands: Spawn aided mana production in ROE, and myr mana ramp did so in SOM. Bounce lands are a natural fit to improve the mana situation of any deck.

· Artifact-supporting mechanics (metalcraft, affinity, etc.): A Shatter becomes a Doom Blade becomes a mulligan. The tensions around artifacts create a strange and rewarding valuation system that has been amped up a notch or two from Scars of Mirrodin Block.

· “Dinosaurs”: In stark contrast to the artifact themes, creatures that are large and aren’t artifacts have their own benefits.

Supporting Concepts

To supplement the primary mechanics, and to add some interesting subthemes, the following mechanics are part of this set:

· Big toughness, indestructibility: Both of these attributes are annoying in typical environments, but -1/-1 counters and a healthy mix of removal spells

· Charge, filibuster & other counters: A few cards care about counters that aren’t related to the infect mechanic and can be manipulated in interesting ways (only if spellcasters dare to think outside the box)!

· Myr: The subtle tribal synergies of Scars Block are back again, with some help from the original Mirrodin Block.

· Land sacrifice/etc., land destruction/etc., landfall, cards in hand as a resource: Beyond big mana, Ravnica-era bounce lands open up possibilities for additional synergy and risks. A small subset of spells are included to interact with these value-generating lands while providing typical limited-environment plays.

· Untap, tap: Soliton holding a Heavy Arbalest was a mainstay of the triple Scars draft format, and by branching out of that format, some Shadowmoor-Eventide untappers have been added (along with cool auras that grant creatures tap abilities) to bolster the bolt throwing!

· Sacrifice: Furnace Celebration was iconic in the original Scars Block, giving a unique drafting experience for those building around it. It’s a natural fit with Atog-style cards and artifacts that can replace themselves when they go to the grave, as well as eldrazi-spawn tokens.

· Conditional removal: Many NWO draft formats are defined by the way removal interacts with the majority of available cards, and Rise and Scars Block were no different. Sorcery-speed removal forces players to decide to use their mana on their own turns. Expensive removal puts a player to the question “Answer or threat?” in the middling stages of the game. Beyond the cost and timing of removal, the classes of threats that may be answered, the finality of the answers and possible additional costs (in time or resources) create a richer experience than “Vindicate, go.”

· Conditional tutors: Cogs (artifacts with CMC 1 or less), equipment, auras and basic land may be searched for via non-rares. A few rares search for more powerful or less specific cards (such as artifacts in general). By focusing on conditional tutors, players will have to weigh card advantage and accessibility of already (as well as to-be) drafted cards with more powerful and/or searchable cards in packs containing tutors.

You can view this set at CubeTutor (with new rarity in the filter->tags area): http://www.cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/23512

What’s Missing

To pack so many interplaying ideas into only 220 cards, some of the mainstays of progenitor formats were left by the wayside.

· Defenders: A novel theme to include, defenders almost never seems to be a fan favorite. Eschewing it was an easy decision.

· Broodwarden, Raid Bombardment: Spawn creation is much lower in frequency than it was in Rise, and as such, these cards aren’t invited to the party.

· Venerated Teacher, Time of Heroes, Champion’s Drake: Proliferate steps in to teach the lessons of Venerated Teacher, but Champion’s Drake and Time of Heroes don’t have stand-ins as this format seems a bit faster than Rise and there are not as many leveling creatures in total.

· Surreal Memoir, Kiln Fiend: Some of the more brutal archetypes from Rise of the Eldrazi drafting have been left out along with all rebounding spells.

· Phyrexian mana: The exclusion of phyrexian mana came down to two things: balance of cards among colors and, sadly, secondary-market value of some of the more-interesting cards.

· Tribal golem: With splicers competing for colored creature slots, the golem theme (predominantly in New Phyrexia, but seen in all of Scars Block) was discarded in favor of more varied creatures.

By The Numbers

The original sets, along with Masters sets and Innistrad, set forth interesting precedents for the numerical breakdown of card classes across rarities. The ratios of Myr, Levelers, infect creatures, CMC-expensive spells, equipment and artifacts were taken Scars of Mirrodin and Rise of the Eldrazi (and mostly stayed the same). Additionally, the ratios of removal (both artifact and non-artifact) was similar to that seem in Scars and Rise, respectively. More information available upon request.

Color Coherence

Originally, this project was to contain all 10 Ravnica Block bounce lands, but after seeing how frequently they would occur in the uncommon slot with only 60 unique inclusions, the quantity was reduced to 5 and a small set of themes were constructed with the idea to have colors of overlapping bounce lands tie together five color-pairs into triads.

· Blue-Black-Green, Infect: Sultai has the most impressive infect and proliferate creatures, rooting the strategy in it. Additional infectors can be found each in the commons of red and white.

· Black-Green-Red, Sacrifice: Since eldrazi spawn are only created by Jund-colored spells and Furnace Celebration falls within the shard, Jund was the next natural triad (linking green-red to black-green). More sacrificial artifacts are found in blue and white.

· Green-Red-White, Tokens: With green-red already making spawn, and myr token creation in white, Naya is the token triad. Both red and white effects that reward “going wide”.

· Red-White-Blue, Artifacts Matter: White-blue combines with red to form the core of the metalcraft and other artifact themes.

· White-Blue-Black, Levelers: Lastly, Esper finds the majority of levelers worth playing to complete the cycle of triads. Again, additional levelers are found in the commons of the other colors (red and green).

Ease of Construction

One major design focus was ease of pack construction: no “print runs” needed (… for now)! This fantasy set was built to “easily” fabricate packs through creating 15 piles and then adding one card from each pile to each booster. To create 48 packs, a person needs 6 of each “c2”, 5 of each “c1”, 3 of each “u” and 1 of each “r”. (I suggest making lists of each pile for reference if needed.)

· Five common2 piles (“c2” tag on CubeTutor): One pile for each color, with artifacts that have activated abilities of those colors included. Each pile should include 8 unique cards.

· Six common2 piles (“c2” tag on CubeTutor): One pile for each color, with artifacts that have activated abilities of those color identities included, as well as one hybrid card and an equipment. One additional pile for the remaining color cards. Each pile should include 10 unique cards.

· Three uncommon piles (“u” tag on CubeTutor): One pile for each color, with artifacts that have activated abilities of those color identities included, as well as one hybrid card, one myr card, one bounce land and an equipment. One additional pile for the remaining color cards. Then, combine blue with red, white with green and artifacts with black. Each pile should include 10 unique cards.

· One rare pile (“r” tag on CubeTutor): All cards that are marked as rare. This pile should include 60 unique cards.

There will be a few leftover cards (mostly uncommons) at the end of this process!

Sealed Gameplay Notes

As mentioned above, this set has been tested in sealed format only (as I have no way to simulate drafting easily via Magic Online).

Most decks were constructed to explore synergy but focused on maximizing removal and power. Unfortunately, this meant infect wasn’t greatly played. The average game was 8-12 turns in length, with at least 2/3rds of the games being fairly back and forth. Most decks splashed a third color, but were primarily two colors. (A few decks splashed a third *and* fourth color via Terramorphic Expanse, Growth Spasm and mana myr/bounce lands.)

I am in the feedback/tuning process, and these are my more pressing questions:

Conversation Starters

Do you find any cards to be lame or unfair based on experiences in their respective blocks and/or other cubes?

How can the themes above be improved upon? (And should the rarity of any cards be changed to accomplish this?)

What cards are definitely missing, and what could they replace? On the bench and eager to come in:

Would you make any curve-related suggestions to the commons?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
This looks really good, and there are a lot of really fun looking cards in the set.

I think you are right to tone down on the spawn makers, due to their ability to clog up the ground. I also really like what you are doing with the counters in order to make infect more broadly applicable. I hope that works out for you. I don't think you will be missing kiln fiend too much: if you really wanted you could up the combat trick numbers to create that aggro-combo feel. Also, Tiger claws is probably something I should be running.

Is constant mists fun? I've never played against the card, but I know those turbo fog style decks can sometimes get a little annoying to play against.

I was also wondering if the sweet green eldrazi might have a spot:

Oh, wow, I cannot believe I forgot about Pelakka Wurm! Maybe there is a way to fit it in by turning Tel-Jilad Fallen into Blightwidow and removing Acid Web Spider from the uncommons (to keep a reach creature in green). Viridian Corrupter already covers 187 against artifacts for green, so the Acid Web might be overkill (and Tangle Angler has 5 toughness, so that creature stats "slot" remains filled).

Now that you mention it, beyond equipment, Mirran Mettle, Tiger Claws, Howl from Beyond and Illusionary Armor create a similar "aggro-combo" feel to the Kiln Fiend deck through infect creatures. I will most definitely consider adding a few bloodrush creatures to further increase that aspect if it feels underutilized in draft; something like Ghor-Clan Rampager over Mage Slayer, Wasteland Viper over Daggerback Basilisk and Pyrewild Shaman over a red rare.

RE: Constant Mists. There is a cycle of "sacrifice land" cards (not the same rarity level), and I had intended for there to be a cycle of buyback cards to build upon the big mana feel, but ultimately, I didn't feel like I could find a spell in each color that I felt worthy of inclusion (without ruining the draft experience). (Originally, Pegasus Stampede and Evincar's Justice were included as rares.) I figured that Mists would be powerful (I have it as a rare), but that in the earlier game, losing mana production would be a big cost. I haven't ever cast it, though. Perhaps I should consider changing Terrifying Presence to Falling Timber, and then removing Mists and Fanning the Flames for non-buyback rares. (The only other green land sacrifice worth playing would be Sylvan Safekeeper at rare or Edge of Autumn over Growth Spasm, which seems undesirable.)

It might be worth mentioning that I also have a cycle of strive cards, with all but Ajani's Presence appearing as rares, but I am dissatisfied with Consign to Dust as a rare and don't have the possibility to include it as an uncommon. I am curious to hear thoughts on Colossal Heroics as a rare in a set with infect, although I might just go with Setessan Tactics.

Lastly, here is a list of "rare" cards that I'd love to hear opinions on since they make me feel sort of sad to open as a rare (but uneasy to include as uncommons):

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
If you want to really buff the aggro-combo infect decks, the big payoff card for them would be vines of vastwood. That might make the deck feel too non-interactive and explosive however.

I really like the idea of running falling timber, as it functions as both a fog effect and combat trick.

I would be fine with colossal heroics as a rare. Powerful, build around, mana sink--has that bomb feeling with exactly infect but is still beat able. I suppose another consideration is how much do you want to directly encourage an infect aggro-combo deck and the draft dynamics that could go with that vs. just having infect be another part of the counters puzzle. Setessan Tactics seems better if you are going for the latter feel.

I'm curious, how important is it that when a player sees a rare in the pack that the rare "feel" powerful and like its pushing the power line? Or is it more that the rare slot is used for quantity control of certain effects? The thing with consign to dust is that while its powerful in the environment, its not actually undercosted for its effect. If furnace celebration is easily supported, I could see that being exciting, flesh-eater imp and shimmer myr have appeauùl as abusable build arounds (though you don't get that same feeling of build around power, as you would get from something like kessig cagebreakers). dusk urchins usually feels pretty underwhelming though its not a bad card.

Leeches seems like a very disappointing rare as it is a narrow sideboard card that hoses one archetype (and as a 3 mana, double white, sorcery, isn't even very good at it). Astral Cornucopia seems a bit underwhelming (though maybe it plays better?). Not sure about juggernaut.

Thanks for the musings! Pelakka Wurm has set my gears spinning in a way that should greatly improve the limited experience of this set.

IIRC, Scars Block limited infect strats played out in a few ways: (1) deck was dedicated infect with plenty pump/equips and noninfect creatures scarce, (2) deck was 50/50ish after a train-wreck draft, often resulting in the opponent needing to do 25-27ish damage via infect and noninfect, (3) infect creatures played almost solely defensive roles, or (4) a larger infect creature threatened to win by itself in a deck of mostly noninfect. I hope to see all of these scenarios (and more, if I've missed them) play out!

Vines of Vastwood seems almost too powerful with it providing a clock increase as well as protecting the frail creatures in and out of combat. Withstand Death was in SOM and seems like an appropriate power level, but it (or something similar) would need to take the Tiger Claws slot (which was inspired by Unnatural Predation). I am going to try Setessan Tactics as the green strive (to interplay more with the not-so-dedicated infect decks). To keep a rare, green anti-artifact spell, Mists will turn into something like Creeping Corrosion.

Furnace Celebration is a fantastic build-around card, but I suppose at the rare level, it frequently comes in pack 2 or 3 when a player won't be lured by it. I suppose I should try it as an uncommon. I also like the idea of Flesh-Eater Imp as an uncommon to give sacrificing a real focus out of red. Going to mess around with the rares some more and test sealed today. Here are some of my ideas not already listed to try:

I am also interested in turning Rustrazor Butcher into a 2-power two-drop. Razor Swine has all of the interactions of the Butcher in addition to one greater power and poison infliction. Any suggestions for a red two-drop common creature with 2 power are appreciated!

I am toying around with the following ideas to go with the token or sacrifice themes:

I really like the idea of Striker (to go with spawn and/or myr) or Generator (to trigger Furnace Celebration or Pawn of Ulamog). I am concerned that Generator might be a bit powerful with Ulamog's Crusher and co., though. Please, share your experiences with Servant!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Generator servant was always a card for us, that was solid but never felt broken.

Kruin striker is an interesting possibility. I think cards like that are strongest where they get at least one turn to crack in without interference, and once creatures start to hit the board they become pretty bad. Its a bit narrow maybe? Being essentially a turn 2 aggro card.

I don't think you can go wrong with firefist striker. The idea of the rustrazer butcherbear might be more where you want to be though.

Hosted a "fantastic 4-man" tonight with an edited list (will update CubeTutor soon), and it felt like... a real Magic set. I mean, the decks were awkward and had a few cool things going on, but nothing too overly cohesive. I am going to attribute it to lack of knowledge and 4-man dynamics (wtf, no one played white!) but keep an open eye out for recurring issues.

The games were similar to normal limited, ending between turns 6 and ... well, I think I ended a game on turn 18 or so with Seer's Sundial drawing something like 9 cards. My teammate and I ended up fighting over infect (and there was only a single 2-drop with infect in the 12 packs). Green was a main color in 3 decks; red was as well. The blue-red deck was the coolest, but the player got pretty distracted during drafting and passed too many good red cards through me (which "caused" me to switch from green-black-blue to green-red-(black)).

Here are the decks!
20150304_213749.jpg20150304_223215.jpg20150304_223636.jpg20150304_223946.jpg

The Howls ended two games, but I see potential for them to be as or more annoying than Untamed Might was in triple Scars as my removal is different (should look at the types of removal in only Scars). It definitely punishes players that don't expect it. Also, Howl is noticeably weaker than Untamed Might and might not be as attractive to noninfect decks. I could consider changing it to one the following if it proves to win too many games w/o healthy interaction:

Jonas, I am excited to get more play with the trap! On-board removal is interesting. :)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, I'm curious to know how your players feel about those aggro-combo decks. I have them over here, but those types of interactions have only really come up once so far, with fabled hero dealing something like 18 damage in one attack.

I'm not really sure what to think about supporting the archetype, but ultimately it comes down to player fun, and I don't have much of a sample to draw from.

Well, I am in the process of writing a big-ass post, but I guess that this project might get a big update in a year: Battle for Zendikar means SPAWN, right?!

The majority of this update was centered around improving rares in (1) power-level (w/o misery) or (2) uniqueness and increasing the frequency of build-around cards like Furnace Celebration, Goblin Welder, Flesh-Eater Imp, Auriok Salvagers, etc. I also increased "sacrifice" removal (Predatory Nightstalker became common, added Dispense Justice) to interplay inversely along the indestructible-to-tokens creature resiliency spectrum as well as with aura-based removal.

Out:

In:

Discussion (micro- possible card-by-card inclusions/switches)

I'm not sure how to fit in some of these ideas, or if they are warranted, but here are some ideas:
  • Stoic Rebuttal -> something else (I have a suspicion that Rebuttal is not going to see a lot of love. I want a counterspell that hits all spell types that is both playable but can create interesting scenarios. Maybe Disdainful Stroke?)
  • Temur Sabertooth (indestructible and has a cool ability that interacts well with Jund cards)
  • Howl from Beyond -> Breach (if Howl is too consistently ending games in infect's favor)
  • Alloy Myr (as uncommon, to add mana myr for Myr Galvanizer interactions and increase 3+-color support)
  • Mire Sire (as common, to interact with token ideas and sacrifice synergy/protection)
  • Myr Enforcer (switch to common to add more to "metalcraft" strategy)
  • Ankh of Mishra (...black-bordered is too expensive, and I am unsure if anyone cares to play it)
Discussion (macro- CMC of combat tricks)

This has been something that I've been thinking about a lot, due to KTK Limited (and it has an added bonus of tying into the Howl from Beyond conversation). The CMC of removal and instants/tricks affects format tempo is ways that are more interesting than the avg CMC of threats, and multiple flash spells at the same CMC create interesting bluff/play situations that don't require players to sacrifice tempo as often to represent a needed effect (such as removal in response to pump/equip). I want this suite of spells to allow players to pass with mana up and force the opponent to evaluate risk and then act given personal tolerances. (This is probably one of the concrete advantages of fantasy sets to normal cube: the set of spells to memorize is much lower.)

"Tricks" not at rare:
(Think about 1s as 2s when both colors are represented, in which they create more possible scenarios.)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Breech seems like a reasonable replacement for howl from beyond.

You'll get not argument from me about the combat tricks: they all look fun. My only comments are that howl is maybe too powerful with infect, but you are already aware of that.

Draft 1 last week: 6-person pod

(Disclaimer: I will never again take deck photos during the day. I could not find a way to avoid glare :()

No one had drafted this before, but several players had some experience with Rise and/or Scars. I got a lot of feedback on the day and have made a large swath of edits (will post later).

Deck 1: Gruul Infect (me)

20150312_144357.jpg

Card with glare: Lavafume Invoker. I took defensive infect creatures highly (Viridian Corrupter & Blightwidow) and then strayed into ramp for a while. Razor Swines tabled in packs 1 and 2, and pack 3 was mostly removal and highly picking Corpse Curs. I went 2-1, winning against the other infect and RW equips, losing against the 4c Eldrazi control. I really wanted to build a ramp deck, but my teammates insisted that I not "be an idiot".

Deck 2: Esper Artifact Control

20150312_144803.jpg

Cards with glare: Darksteel Myr & Rusted Relic. This player has played a lot of Limited Magic competitively and let his draft be steered by Silkbind Faerie and value. I believe he 3-0'd and enjoyed his complicated board-state standoffs.

Deck 3: Izzet Artifacts

20150312_145138.jpg

Card with glare: Churning Eddy. I believe this player went 2-1 (although it could've been different), but I know he lost to 4c Eldrazi. He has played on the PT a few times. I have no idea what steered his draft, but I was (pleasantly) surprised to see Stoic Rebuttal played to good effect.

Deck 4: Boros Equipment

20150312_145454.jpg

Cards with glare: 2 Barbed Battlegear. I believe this player went 0-3, citing lack of removal and unfamiliarity with the major concepts behind the format as his primary issues. He did remark that Loxodon Punisher didn't feel too powerful (which was a discussion since I have it at common).

Deck 5: Simic splash Boros Eldrazi Control

20150312_145755.jpg

Card with glare: Growth Spasm. This player had played a lot of Scars but only played Rise once. He typically focuses on value cards, and his concoction shows! He lost to the Esper deck above, bu stated he believes it was due to a mistake fetching land. He also wished that he had a 5th big-mana bruiser... His highlight was Vanish into Memory on Morselhoarder to reset counters for additional mana, draw 6 cards and discard 2. His games were regularly long and cluttered; he loved it.

Deck 6: Golgari Half-Infect

20150312_150137.jpg

Cards with glare: Ichor Rats, Putrefy, Blowfly Infestation. An old-school, five-color player that does very in most power-cube drafts, this player drafted one of the messier decks. Infect creatures getting snapped up for defensive value definitely hurt him, and I know he sideboarded many cards each match. I believe he went 0-3, but he may have went 1-2.

Overall, reception was mixed. Players with losing records didn't seem to enjoy it as much, but I know the Boros Equip player just was unhappy with his deck. We took a break to eat deep dish pizza and wings, then reconvened for a 4-player draft (which should've been 6, but I sat out and didn't realize one of the guys was just lagging behind- sad!).

Draft 2 last week: 4-players

All but one of the players participated in the previous draft.

Deck 1: Golgari Half-Infect

20150312_142426.jpg

This player played the Izzet deck last draft. I believe he went 1-1, losing to the Boros Celebration Artifacts and beating the Mono-White deck. IIRC, he first-picked Silence the Believers or Phyrexian Swarmlord.

Deck 2: Boros Celebration Artifacts

20150312_142658.jpg

Card with glare: Lavafume Invoker. This player played Esper Artifacts last draft and again highly picked Silkbind Faerie. I'm unsure when he took Furnace Celebration, but I know that it then directed his draft (as he had fond memories of it in Scars). I think he went 2-0, with only the infect opponent giving him any real trouble. He also was not a fan of Hoard-Smelter Dragon.

Deck 3: Mono-White Metal

20150312_142931.jpg

Cards with glare: Iron Myr, Gold Myr.This player did not play in the previous draft. He went 1-1, losing to infect, but the games could've gone different if he drew more lands or artifacts in the final game. His draft was largely steered by quick Dawnglare Invokers, which he remembered as being "the stone nuts" in Rise. I am really surprised that he didn't splash another color, since the cost seemed low with so many artifacts and only one card with double-colored mana.

Deck 4: Bant Artifact Control

20150312_143144.jpg

This was the 4c Eldrazi player from the previous draft. He tried to recreate his style of deck, but didn't get the same quality top end or as many defensive cards. IIRC, he went 0-2. When we discussed the draft, he said that he picked cards in entirely the wrong order after settling into Tinker and artifacts.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Why didn't the Boros player like hoard-smelter, too pricy for the effect?

Also, did the players that had negative records say why weren't happy with the draft? I want to get an idea if the aggro-combo decks are producing feel bads.

I'm kind of surprised your teammates wanted to keep you off of ramp.

Hoard-Smelter has left many bitter from Scars experiences (where it was both hard to kill & killed a lot). It probably isn't too powerful, but evasion coupled with board control is hard to legitimize to people that have miserably lost to a card in Limited 10 times. I am a bit sad, as I think it's an okay inclusion, but I am cutting it for now (will type up most recent mods in the near future). I am currently making large swaps with the aim that every card will see play in some decks/matchups.

In the first draft, I think that slower deaths due to players having mediocre decks led to the most feel-bads. A specific, common complaint was lacking appropriate removal (which I am hoping to remedy with my next update with some changes and additions).

RE: Infect. More infect decks won with Caress of Phyrexia as a poisonous axe than to combat tricks, but I did have a few games where I curved into Corpse Cur recursion. I don't think a single Howl from Beyond was cast during the drafts. :oops: I'm dialing back on colorless infect (making Cur and Ichorclaw Myr move to uncommon) so that infect decks that are not two of the three Sultai colors are not as easy to assemble with a fully stocked curve. Going to see monitor how it's drafted; hopefully I didn't just make infect terrible for all colors.

RE: Teammates. They are both of the PTQ endboss mentality, so I cannot fault them for boring brutality! I have been personally drafting a lot of focused aggro to stress test my formats (leveraging the cardpool knowledge that comes with being the designer), so their persuasion just put me back on my path. The mindset (while boring) has resulted in a lot of 3-0s and 2-1s, but it gives me a lot of insight into curve considerations and proactive/reactive spells when editing. Luckily, I am about to the point with each set where I think it will no longer be necessary. :)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Take photos for your own bookkeeping, then transcribe them to the [cubedeck] tags! It's the Riptide Way. ;)

I made some changes (mostly increased power level, added some removal and "improved" themes, while weakening infect through some frequency tweaks) and drafted twice this Monday: a 4-p and 6-p.

It. Was. A. Disaster.

In the first draft, everyone but one player had drafted before. Two decks were terrible, and two decks were obscene. In the second draft, a similar split happened:

It was *so* fun the previous week, and this week sucked. What happened? Well, I think my power-level adjustments combined with drafter skill-level disparities meant that decks just fell into the laps of those familiar with ROE and/or SOM. It was pretty lame; drafters should have to make interesting picks and not get every card they want from a booster!

To combat these perceived issues, I have done two big things (to be discussed in detail during my next post, highlighting the individual changes): (1) increased the number of unique uncommons from 60 to 78 and (2) made card swaps across the rarity tiers (both moving and changing particular cards).

Without real print runs to balance distribution, some wonky things happened with the themes/removal. Among commons, removal and strong themes were isolated to one of the two common stratus (making "doubling up" on the cards in a single color in a booster *very* unlikely, as it would have to happen via rare or uncommon).

Within uncommons, I had hoped that 1-3 copies of an uncommon would mimic the sense of availability in a normal draft, but I didn't take into account how much better the average card is in this set, especially as I increased card power. There's a blurry line between playability and perception, and as cards became obviously better, it seems that players stick to their colors more often than fighting over the really powerful cards (if they are flowing in another color). I am hoping by adding more uncommons (and then only up to 2 of each appearing), that decks will be more thought-provoking to draft and gameplay will be more unique.

Sigh, and I thought I was so close to "finishing" one of these...

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Did the tweeks to power level result in a wider power band?

That seems like an interesting take away point: that without real print runs to balance distribution, a too broad power band can result in wonky distributions, creating a disjointed feel to the draft.

without real print runs to balance distribution, a too broad power band can result in wonky distributions, creating a disjointed feel to the draft.

I think that this was the case, and it really showed which strategies and cards were "premium". Also, the game speed involving decks at the high end of power distribution was often so fast that few "cool" interactions occurred; the gameplay was more-or-less face pummeling and/or heavy domination (like something that I'd imagine would be found in popculture S&M stories).

When I have a bit more disposal-thinking-fun time, I will add my current iteration with full reasoning and concern areas, but... my disposal-mindless-fun time (drafting ROE on MTGO) has unfortunately shown a ton of non-rare, build-around and utility ROE cards that I haven't included:

I really hope that Impact Tremors can stand in for Raid Bombardment, but I am not convinced. Levelers may benefit from attractive choices beyond Venerated Teacher and proliferate. I love the way Invokers felt in ROE; giving another reason to play 18 lands (or simply many mana sources) is fantastic.

I suppose that I will need to just get a lot of drafts/games jammed and then start cutting creatures for interesting spells (as I think I am creature-heavy at the moment) that support under-supported archetypes.