General Fight Club

Thank you RavenbornMuse. I have always seen Spike Jester as a strong aggro card because when it first saw print it was pushed as the only 3 power haste creature for 2 mana. I realise now I might have evaluate it too fondly. Any creature can block and kill it.

Japahn Yes you may suggest Shambling Remains :) Have no idea how I never thought of one of the best Standard cards when it was legal during its time.

I think I'll be going with the God of Slaughter since it appeals to more players around the table. God knows (pun intended) we want multicolored cards to appeal to a broarder audience!

I thank you both <3 Happy cubing

Demonic Rising to me seems like by far the most powerful and the most interesting of the three. The question remains for me whether it's powerful enough, or too powerful. It's certainly interesting enough, but the power question really depends on your environment. I will say that all of these cards are fairly situational and deck-dependent. I have some small amount of experience with Demonic Rising in a flavor-driven Magic role-playing game of sorts that my friend the Mad Prophet cooked up to play--even there, in my one-creature-only theme deck (my character is something of a loner) I wasn't too impressed with the power level of the card, finding it rather too situational and context-dependent in game.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I had an incredibly fun Peasant deck once with Homicidal Seclusion. It involved Crypt Rats :)

I don't think these cards are worth it in draft though. You're much too likely to be overrun by multiple creatures or blown out by a single removal spell. I believe Mark Rosewater has gone on record saying the loner mechanic was one of the downsides of Avacyn Restored.

... looking ...

MaRo said:
The second problem was the decision to make the bad guys go the opposite direction of the good guys. Since the good guys team up, the bad guys had a loner theme. I think we pushed the loner theme a little too hard, which made it hard to play black. This partially resulted in the imbalance of the colors I talked about above.

Here it is, from the State of Design 2012. So, from the man-who-can't-be-too-critical what-with-him-publishing-on-the-mothership-and-all-and-thus-tends-to-use-euphemism-when-talking-about-failures-in-Magic himself, loner is kinda a bad mechanic to push for in limited.

Damn Rosewater and his logics; My mind was just beginning to hype up the idea of a loner theme when I saw those cards.

Maybe if the player was guarenteed to get both Rising and Seclusion when drafting one? ;)

I had an incredibly fun Peasant deck once with Homicidal Seclusion. It involved Crypt Rats :)

I don't think these cards are worth it in draft though. You're much too likely to be overrun by multiple creatures or blown out by a single removal spell. I believe Mark Rosewater has gone on record saying the loner mechanic was one of the downsides of Avacyn Restored.

... looking ...

Here it is, from the State of Design 2012. So, from the man-who-can't-be-too-critical what-with-him-publishing-on-the-mothership-and-all-and-thus-tends-to-use-euphemism-when-talking-about-failures-in-Magic himself, loner is kinda a bad mechanic to push for in limited.

I mean, the loner theme basically has the Bogles problem, right? The only cards that are really make that work remove interaction, because of how extra-strong interaction is vs. them. So like, having a few 'loner cards' with Thrun, the last troll out is great power wise... but is that really a game of magic that you want your drafters to be engaging in?

Damn Rosewater and his logics; My mind was just beginning to hype up the idea of a loner theme when I saw those cards.

Maybe if the player was guarenteed to get both Rising and Seclusion when drafting one? ;)

I mean, there's a reason Avacyn Restored is considered one of the worst modern draft sets, and the loner theme is a huge part of that.

Laz

Developer
I actually like Homicidal Seclusion in my lower-power environment. It is almost exclusively a control card, where it transforms early blockers into stabilisation and win-cons. It certainly doesn't map to higher power environments, but gaining 5 life and transforming every random value creature in your control deck into a threat can put games away.

Honestly, the biggest problem with AVR for me as a draft format was just how unanswerable the bombs were. The biggest offender was Sigarda by a mile. You'd better hope you drafted literally Terminus, because otherwise...

Also, I don't know if I've mentioned this, but I despise Miracle as a conceptual mechanic, as they emphasise the RNG aspects of the game and de-emphasise good play so heavily.

Miracle I've been both for and against. I disliked Bonfire because it was in a color with zero TOL manipulation, so it was just pure RNG (and super unfun when it happened). That card sucks.

But Temporal Mastery was sort of cool in that you had a lot of ways in Ux decks to make it Time Walk. There's some skill involved with that as well and a bit of satisfaction when you work it using Brainstorm or whatever. Though with that achievement unlocked, I'm less excited about including it and have since removed it. But of all the Miracle cards, it's the one I'd likely bring back (that and Entreat the Angels probably - also pretty satisfying to setup).

I"m looking for a go wide blue creature. I support spells matters in UR, but no land shenanigans.
vs

Both have the downside of requiring you to untap to get value, but I"m thinking the Docent is better. The body is serviceable even without a follow up and if things go well you are not setting yourself back on land drops. It also signals that spells is a thing...

Meloku the Clouded Mirror is a really lovely card; very nostalgic for a lot of folks, I think, as an "iconic blue curve-topper". In a lot of ways, he's suffered from power creep significantly more than Aetherling (a much more recent "nostalgic" curve topper), but I actually think he's a far more enjoyable play, and he topdecks very nicely. He provides a lot of interesting decision-points, which is what I find so attractive; as a 2/4, he's not closing out games unless you're making a few token pals, but since each token-pal either stalls or sets back your mana development, he's a high-risk, high-reward style of card, that still isn't terribly demanding to secure a win with. He certainly packs a lot more punch if you support Lands-Matter in some way. That said, I wouldn't fault you for playing Docent of Perfection; the card is, as you point out, a lot more obvious to get value out of, and if it matches up with your archetypes, then that's a strong mark in its favour! I've seen enough people win from bashing in with Djinn of Wishes in my cube to respect a big flyer with extra spice.

The Djinn of Wishes flavor is so funny.

Wizard: Oh, my! A genie!
Djinn: YES...I WILL GRANT YOU THREE WISHES
Wizard: Fantastic! I would li-
Djinn: DO YOU WANT THIS FREE GIANT SPIDER?
Wizard: Uhm...well, yes...I suppose...
Djinn: WISH GRANTED. IT IS NOT FREE. YOU HAVE PAID ELSEWHERE IN YOUR LIFE. YOU WILL SEE.
Wizard: Ohh...kay. Can I-
Djinn: HOW ABOUT THIS BRIDGE FROM BELOW?
Wizard: Well, not really.
Djinn: (expressionless)
Wizard: Look, it was my understanding that genies-
Djinn: HERE IS A SWAMP. YOUR THREE WISHES HAVE BEEN GRANTED. GOODBYE

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Meloku the Clouded Mirror is a really lovely card; very nostalgic for a lot of folks, I think, as an "iconic blue curve-topper". In a lot of ways, he's suffered from power creep significantly more than Aetherling (a much more recent "nostalgic" curve topper), but I actually think he's a far more enjoyable play, and he topdecks very nicely. He provides a lot of interesting decision-points, which is what I find so attractive; as a 2/4, he's not closing out games unless you're making a few token pals, but since each token-pal either stalls or sets back your mana development, he's a high-risk, high-reward style of card, that still isn't terribly demanding to secure a win with. He certainly packs a lot more punch if you support Lands-Matter in some way. That said, I wouldn't fault you for playing Docent of Perfection; the card is, as you point out, a lot more obvious to get value out of, and if it matches up with your archetypes, then that's a strong mark in its favour! I've seen enough people win from bashing in with Djinn of Wishes in my cube to respect a big flyer with extra spice.

Oh god AEtherling is nostalgic now? o.O

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I, for one, have been very happy with Docent of Perfection. If your group can handle DFC's, I'ld pick that one. I like that sometimes you only need one spell, because blue typically plays a couple of wizards anyway. Also, it's a decent topdeck simply for its stats. A 5/4 close out games on its own. The triggered ability is good, but not required for the card to have impact.