General Fight Club

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Alright, I'll steal it :p I'm giving it a different name though!

That's okay, this should look familiar to you as well :p

Stupefy_1.jpg

This should also look familiar to players who were active during Invasion limited to be fair ;) I was looking for a cheap discard effect, looked through your options, than looked at existing {1}{B} that I could shave a mana off, and ended up with the same card on counts :D

v.
scionsummoner.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Depends on the archetype. Scion Summoner is a creature that can ramp, much like nest invader. The best ramp deck imaginable probably doesn't have nest invader in it, but the average one probably would.
Growth Spasm A) Ramps harder, and can be the cause of turn 3 6 drops if you have an elf, and B) won't actually trade with anything, so it's defensive capability is reduced.

Like, they both work with say, bone splinters, but Scion Summoner works better with Evolutionary Leap and Growth Spasm works better with Hornet Queen or Kozilek

Looking at 3-drops for my peasant cube revision (think roughly Penny-Pincher power levels), so I'm looking at mechanically satisfying as well as power level:

Similarly

I like Raid a LOT for new players. Hey, attack sometimes, also you can cast after attacking. I theorize that Morbid has similar benefits but haven't tried it on a nubble yet.

Morbid is more conditional than raid IMO unless you have a sacrifice build. Not that I don't like morbid, just that I think raid is more newbie friendly. You can't always control when morbid will trigger, but with raid its pretty straightforward.

Yeah, players new to the game are so used to just playing out whatever they have prior to combat and ending the turn right afterwards that they miss a lot of the possible plays/bluffs that could be made. I remember it being a level-up moment when I realized how useful the 2nd main was (also when figuring out that holding back threats in your hand is sometimes the right play).

Putting firebreathing on other creatures (stonewright) looks far more fun than lightning berserker. Stonewright +
,, ... or whatever the high-power equivalents of those cards are

Should I keep any of these for future inclusion in a janky low power cube? Or proceed with attempting to trade them away for a bevy of smaller cards?

SwcmZRx.png

I'm actually considering the krasis for my next iteration of powered cube. It is a decent combat trick, works wonders as an aggro deterrent and combos with Kiki-Jiki/Splinter Twin and whatnot. The card is not without uses, and it is so cheap that it is worthless to trade away.

Having just spent an hour poring through the Trade part of MTGO, I see what you folks mean. It's much harder to trade my rares for worthless commons than it is IRL, because rares are also worthless. Which I guess means that if I put like $3 into the game somehow, I could walk away with 300 or 400 bad-but-equal-ish cards?

VS

I just want this to be discussed by experienced cube players.
Everyone (almost everyone?) here loves brainstorm, here's a link to a link that explains why
http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/cbs.286/page-83#post-49045

Personally I think it's one of those cool cards that somewhat scales up and down to your environment, e.g. it's only as powerful as the card it interacts with. Granted, it's better than a lot of blue's weaker card draw cards, but that's not imo a good reason to cut one of the most interesting cards ever.

I wish it costed {1}{U/P} just so that every color deck had the option to play around with its many interesting modes.