General Fight Club

\ Looking for two out of:

I think I'd cut Heir of Falkenrath of those. I had it super close between cutting that or Golgari Thug, but Heir is the only one of the three that doesn't work with your cube's sacrifice theme and its ability to discard a card for value isn't a super big deal in your cube. In addition, it goes less well with the new Scrapheap Scrounger than the other two. I'm also partial to holding onto Rotting Rats because I think you should add Cryptbreaker to your cube. It's a great discard outlet if you value that about Heir of Falkenrath, and it adds a little Zombie synergy alongside Gravecrawler. Just pushes the Zombie theme a bit while being a totally reasonable include for power level/being an interesting card.

I think I'd cut Heir of Falkenrath of those. I had it super close between cutting that or Golgari Thug, but Heir is the only one of the three that doesn't work with your cube's sacrifice theme and its ability to discard a card for value isn't a super big deal in your cube. In addition, it goes less well with the new Scrapheap Scrounger than the other two. I'm also partial to holding onto Rotting Rats because I think you should add Cryptbreaker to your cube. It's a great discard outlet if you value that about Heir of Falkenrath, and it adds a little Zombie synergy alongside Gravecrawler. Just pushes the Zombie theme a bit while being a totally reasonable include for power level/being an interesting card.
The Cryptbreaker angle is a good one that I hadn't considered. It'd maintain a discard outlet while opening up the slot.

A little sad that you read my black section that way. I might have to take a look into why it might come across some other way to what I want out of it. As to the cards, Heir does seem like the most self-contained value, but that being said, I'd be trading it for another 3/2 for 2, and as mentioned I could utilize my one-drop slot to get a discard outlet. Rotting Rats is definitely a pet card of mine, especially with Gisa and Geralf. Golgari Thug is plain old self-mill value, but a little on the slow side.

I remain very conflicted about what these slots deserve/want.

Ah now I see the reanimator stuff, I was looking primarily at the black creatures rather than the black section as a whole. On balance though there's still more sacrifice things than reanimation, but what there is might make it worth it to have Thug cut instead of Heir. The problem I have here is that Heir of Falkenrath into discarding one large creature into Living Death is a pretty strange line, and the Living Death route in particular I feel is much better supported with spell-based discard.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I've got a conundrum of my own for black cards, this one two drops. Looking for two out of:

I would probably cut thug, but thats only because that card has always been somewhat inconsistent for me. Sometimes the ability to recur creatures and dredge will lead to some cool interactions, but than you get into these awkward game states where its inability to send itself to the yard slows the deck's entire strategy down. Though your two drops look so aggressive, you might be priced into keeping thug.

I'm kind of curious why you nominated these three for the chopping block, as it looks like two aggro and one control/midrange card. There is probably an argument also that scrounger should be competing with bloodghast for space, since I'm not sure how many two drops that can't block you want in a list.

You bring up a good point about Blooghast, tbh. Hmmmm.
As to why these three? Not entirely sure. They were the three I feel that'd I be most ok with swapping around, and they all deal heavily with the GY. Agree on the aggressiveness of my creatures. It's a point that I've been keeping in the front of my mind lately. Jamming every super sweet card is great and all, but one has to be careful when trying to make a GY-synergy cube to not let black just take all the glory.

I think I found a convenient way to keep the "no block" clause contained by also switching a Gnarled Scarhide out for Cryptbreaker. Maybe.

Interesting thing about Scrap for Black is that it might actually be fairly contested as a pick. I mean, it's basically a better

I'd run it in RW aggro just for that alone

In your cube? Angel of Invention, and I don't think it's all that close. Angel is new and fun, and it works with your token theme, your +1 counter theme, and Reveillark/Alesha in delicious ways. Also I've never really found Archangel of Thune to be an interesting card, it either dies to removal or you crush your opponent with a big old flying lifelinking Slith. Also your cube doesn't contain a lot of incidental life gain effects or a particular life gain theme. Angel of Invention just seems like it won't be GRBS and will interact better with what you have going on.

How do we rank these? Do they all fill the same niche, or do they fill different roles?

1: Cataclysm
2: Gearhulk
3: Tragic Arrogance

Gearhulk is better suited for midrange/control or an aggro top-end, Cataclysm is a huge anti-control card that aggro and midrange can build around, Tragic Arrogance is better for a format where both players are likely to have each permanent type on the field since it lets the caster choose what remains for both players

vs.
Sylvan library is a great card advantage/selection tool for green, and I'm not entirely certain that leap is really... Needed? On the flip side, leap is a lot more proactive, and doesn't bog down the draw step. Thoughts?

vs.
Sylvan library is a great card advantage/selection tool for green, and I'm not entirely certain that leap is really... Needed? On the flip side, leap is a lot more proactive, and doesn't bog down the draw step. Thoughts?

I find them fulfilling incredibly different roles in the decks they end up in. Sylvan Library is just better card selection off your draw every turn for slower decks where you can afford to take an early turn off, while Leap is usually just used to turn bodies into more bodies and accrue additional advantage for aggressive decks. If you need to keep applying pressure with your deck, then Leap is more effective by refueling you with threats. If you have any tokens, Leap is pretty incredible for card advantage by turning chump blocks into cards.

If I was forced to choose one, I'd keep the Library because it's stronger in more cases and works well with fetches and any library searching effects. I would just keep both of them though, I'm all for more noncreature permanents in green that impact the game.

I find them fulfilling incredibly different roles in the decks they end up in. Sylvan Library is just better card selection off your draw every turn for slower decks where you can afford to take an early turn off, while Leap is usually just used to turn bodies into more bodies and accrue additional advantage for aggressive decks. If you need to keep applying pressure with your deck, then Leap is more effective by refueling you with threats. If you have any tokens, Leap is pretty incredible for card advantage by turning chump blocks into cards.

If I was forced to choose one, I'd keep the Library because it's stronger in more cases and works well with fetches and any library searching effects. I would just keep both of them though, I'm all for more noncreature permanents in green that impact the game.

It -is- worth bearing in mind that the decks that leap reliably goes in are much narrower in scope. Decks that don't use creatures as primary win conditions or have much sacrifice synergy likely won't get much use out of evolutionary leap.

That's not a mark for or against it, but it is a narrower card than a lot of people give it credit for, I think.

Oh, totally ok with them being different role players, I wasn't looking for the same effect, I'm fighting more over the slot. Im all for more non creature effects in green too, but Im having a hard time finding more space, so it is what it is. The todbit I like most from what you are saying is:
Sylvan Library = better slow
Evolutionary Leap = better fast
Generally speaking of course. With what I'm trying to do with my green section, I've been thinking recently that Leap is operating at the wrong "speed" for what I want to be doing. And if I want green to be featured in more decks with more noncreature spells than might be usual, maybe library is the better choice in that slot for me, based on this pacing info.

Grillo made a deck recently that your post reminded me of. A deck featuring green, but definitely better suited to Library, especially with looting effects, than it is to Leap, with its slightly low creature count.

It -is- worth bearing in mind that the decks that leap reliably goes in are much narrower in scope. Decks that don't use creatures as primary win conditions or have much sacrifice synergy likely won't get much use out of evolutionary leap.

That's not a mark for or against it, but it is a narrower card than a lot of people give it credit for, I think.

While true, we need to consider the fact that creatures do tend to make up the majority of a cube, most draft decks, and that they are the primary card type within Green. The best way to think of Evo Leap is probably just as a static effect that grants "{G}, trade this creature in for another card and make your opponents removal and boardwipes less appealing". I would play this card in just about any creature oriented deck splashing or maining Green, and at worst it's a SB card that can completely shift things in your favor. Green doesn't really have a lot of ways to accrue card advantage and Evo Leap was just such a sweet addition for it. It's definitely not generically good like Library though, I totally agree with that.

vs.

Expertise comes at sorcery speed while costing one mana less and giving you a free spell while BwA is a nice combat trick.
Both cards go well with the sacrifice theme in BRwg. I do not want to play both of them as I also have Zealous Conscripts in my list.
I don't know, this is the only Expertise not looking busted in cube so I really want to try it out as I like the concept somehow.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
vs.

Expertise comes at sorcery speed while costing one mana less and giving you a free spell while BwA is a nice combat trick.
Both cards go well with the sacrifice theme in BRwg. I do not want to play both of them as I also have Zealous Conscripts in my list.
I don't know, this is the only Expertise not looking busted in cube so I really want to try it out as I like the concept somehow.

Can you use Expertise to cast Fling, sacrificing the creature you grabbed?