Forum Aesthetics and Usability

Dom Harvey

Contributor
It looks like somebody dunked a Detention Sphere in a slushie

EDIT: I like it though, not really fussed about the colour scheme as long as it isn't glaringly bad.

VibeBox

Contributor
why change them at all from how they were? they looked good, and no amount of color filters slapped on are going to improve them

Rob Dennis

Developer
So, here's something I was reminded of: if I'm entering a password into a website, I really do expect it to be on an SSL-encrypted page. Facebook connect is a fine workaround, but I'm actually getting a permissions error trying to associate my account.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
So, here's something I was reminded of: if I'm entering a password into a website, I really do expect it to be on an SSL-encrypted page. Facebook connect is a fine workaround, but I'm actually getting a permissions error trying to associate my account.

Hmm, can you elaborate on this? I Facebook linked my account months ago and never had any issues.

Rob Dennis

Developer
Click on Facebook integration, click associate account get an apache 403 forbidden page saying:
You don't have permission to access /forum/register/facebook on this server.

Edit: The URL was: http://riptidelab.com/forum/registe...e.&state=e09e9305bb84f15923c6b770c2cce72b#_=_

This is on latest iPad safari if it's relevant.

This implies someone needs to set something up on Facebook

-----

Since I didn't see a specific thread about this is and it's related to aesthetics: if you get the same amount of banner ad money either way, I'd prefer the ads at the top of the page instead of by the reply box.

Still see it each page load at the top, and in it's current location I find it distracting enough as I type a reply that I'd consider using an ad blocker.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Since I didn't see a specific thread about this is and it's related to aesthetics: if you get the same amount of banner ad money either way, I'd prefer the ads at the top of the page instead of by the reply box.

Still see it each page load at the top, and in it's current location I find it distracting enough as I type a reply that I'd consider using an ad blocker.

Yes, we're doing this. Eric will move the ads today. We're still in the test-run mode.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Click on Facebook integration, click associate account get an apache 403 forbidden page saying:
You don't have permission to access /forum/register/facebook on this server.

Edit: The URL was: http://riptidelab.com/forum/register/facebook?assoc=6&error_code=901&error_message=This app is in sandbox mode. Edit the app configuration at http://developers.facebook.com/apps to make the app publicly visible.&state=e09e9305bb84f15923c6b770c2cce72b#_=_

This is on latest iPad safari if it's relevant.

This implies someone needs to set something up on Facebook

What do you see when you go to this page:
jSylGd5.png

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I kinda preferred the green logo, myself. It gave me a Ninja Turtle-esque mutant ooze feel. And nothing says brewing like some glowing mutagen tubes!

Rob -

Excellent point about the SSL encryption. It's something I've been thinking about myself. In our defence, none of the major Magic forums uses SSL at the moment, as far as I know. Salvation definitely doesn't. At the same time, that doesn't excuse the lack of encryption here. I don't know how to say this without sounding like a cheap ass, but the only thing stopping us from implementing SSL right now is the yearly cost associated with the certificate. I'm strongly in favour of having this, though, so as soon as our budget allows, we'll spring for it.

Yeah, sorry about the ad placement. This moving, animated banner is a tad annoying, anywhere on the page. Going to ask our advertiser to see if we can get a static image instead.

Rob Dennis

Developer
What do you see when you go to this page:
jSylGd5.png

Your account is not currently associated with a Facebook account.

Associating with Facebook makes it easier to share interesting things with your friends and import content from Facebook here.
<Button>Associate with Facebook</Button>

Clicking the associated button yields the aforementioned 403

Edit:might I suggest trying with a new, non-Admin account?

Rob Dennis

Developer
Rob -

Excellent point about the SSL encryption. It's something I've been thinking about myself. In our defence, none of the major Magic forums uses SSL at the moment, as far as I know. Salvation definitely doesn't. At the same time, that doesn't excuse the lack of encryption here. I don't know how to say this without sounding like a cheap ass, but the only thing stopping us from implementing SSL right now is the yearly cost associated with the certificate. I'm strongly in favour of having this, though, so as soon as our budget allows, we'll spring for it.
The main forum who I post at is something awful, so that and my day job does set the expectations there. The fact is, there are costs associated with security and the payoff comes with users "feeling" more secure. SSl encrypted logins aren't something I expect most users care about so it's an understandable day-1 omission.

That being said, I happen to think that using OAuth or Facebook connect exclusively for logon is a bit better, so I'm satisfied to have the option to avoid entering a password on a non-SSL page (assuming we can get it working)

Yeah, sorry about the ad placement. This moving, animated banner is a tad annoying, anywhere on the page. Going to ask our advertiser to see if we can get a static image instead.

It's been moved already and it's much better, so not as pressing for me personally :)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Your account is not currently associated with a Facebook account.

Associating with Facebook makes it easier to share interesting things with your friends and import content from Facebook here.
<Button>Associate with Facebook</Button>

Clicking the associated button yields the aforementioned 403

Edit:might I suggest trying with a new, non-Admin account?

Apparently I had the app in Sandbox mode. Try again?

JotpoQm.png

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
once cube academy is polished i'm gonna see about getting us linked on the relevant Magic threads.
goons will be am important source of new members

In the very beginning of the site we had a couple hits from Something Awful. I looked it up and apparently somebody said "Everybody knows riptidelab.com is the cool new cube site anyways". But the comment was effectively ignored.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
In the very beginning of the site we had a couple hits from Something Awful. I looked it up and apparently somebody said "Everybody knows riptidelab.com is the cool new cube site anyways". But the comment was effectively ignored.

are we sure that wasn't just CML

CML

Contributor
i differentiate myself from the mtg community by taking not only all the credit, but also the blame. 'hey, i spent TWO HOURS on this internet article, and i didn't post it in public just so i could get criticized!'

i'm not a goon, but this one time i wrote a book about my friend who got married to a BPD girl, so then he divorced her and liked my book and is ostensibly hyping it up on there, since he is a goon. tbh i always preferred zealots esp in PvP.

Rob Dennis

Developer
I think that was me, or at least it happened to me. I'm traveling today, so I'll give facebook integration another go tomorrow.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
i differentiate myself from the mtg community by taking not only all the credit, but also the blame. 'hey, i spent TWO HOURS on this internet article, and i didn't post it in public just so i could get criticized!'

i'm not a goon, but this one time i wrote a book about my friend who got married to a BPD girl, so then he divorced her and liked my book and is ostensibly hyping it up on there, since he is a goon. tbh i always preferred zealots esp in PvP.

I for one am more partial to Zealots in PvZ. Apparently this shit worked in Diamond League:
bg6x790.jpg

PvP deserves nothing less than the eloquence of a Phoenix opening with an Immortal transition.

Long overdue, but we now have a button for the spoiler tag in the text editor. It's the can't-miss red exclamation mark. Just in time for Christmas, too!
i've noticed that spoiler tags inside spoiler tags don't open and close quite correctly
the inner one just
is open the whole time

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, the spoiler tags here aren't the greatest. The main problem is that our forum software, Xenforo, doesn't support spoiler tags, so I'm currently using an add-on. If I find a better one at some point, especially one that supports nested spoilers, I'll switch it over.