GBS

CML

Contributor
what do we all think of

210.jpg

"he works all night and he sleeps all day" is especially funny if your playgroup plays Standard and bitches about Arbor Elf going on strike because he's a dirty hippie

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Which of Tinder Wall, Lumberjack, and Satyr Hedonist is best in your Cube is a pretty cool guide to what its focus is IMO.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Last night I played a deck with Shelldock Isle, and every time I played it I would find piles like "land, land, Force Spike, Daze". It was hilariously bad the entire evening.

Oh, except for the time it found Huntmaster of the Fells for an instant flip. Well, it would have been, but he got countered.

Later I had Meloku + Shelldock Isle, but Meloku died.

Then a 45 card deck won the draft and it made me very sad.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
During one game my opponent played Voice of Resurgence with Wasteland open, and I (very stupidly) opted not to Force Spike it. He Wastes a land to keep me off of my fourth mana. A few turns later I'm still on 3 mana with a hand of:

with his Voice still in play. It was a trainwreck that wouldn't end (although I believe the description I used at the time was "Recurring Nightmare").

Anyone got any Roguelike CRPGs or tactical games they are thrilled with? I was playing FTL last night after cubing and now I can't get enough.

I want his weird walker thing to be an equipment!
I wonder what a SF magic game would feel like.
CRPG is something I picked up from people on GOG and looking for isometric rpgs. Computer Role Playing Game. I think it makes you more hip to say that.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I looked up FTL and it reminded me of FreeSpace. The two are pretty much nothing alike, though. Anybody ever play FreeSpace? That was a sweet, sweet game.

Last night I played a deck with Shelldock Isle, and every time I played it I would find piles like "land, land, Force Spike, Daze". It was hilariously bad the entire evening.

Oh, except for the time it found Huntmaster of the Fells for an instant flip. Well, it would have been, but he got countered.

Later I had Meloku + Shelldock Isle, but Meloku died.

Then a 45 card deck won the draft and it made me very sad.

I don't think Huntmaster of the Fells would flip because Shelldock Isle still casts the spell, as opposed to AEther Vial, which puts it into play.

Realizing Worn Powerstone And Thran Dynamo are uncommon may not be a good thing for my cube / my sanity.

Right now blue and red feel like the deepest colours, despite how flat aggressive red looks on paper. So much graveyard/madness, aggro and storm/spellsmatter goodness. Double manamorphose and double emissary are gonna be sick. Anyway I'm digressing. Seeing those 2 ramp artifacts gives me new hope for the big red / wildfire decks I was hoping to make viable via that 15th card rare slot, especially since red supplies something like half the sweepers out there. I don't want to overburden red though, it would be a shame if Madness or Storm were undermined by trying to ram a lot of 4/5 cc spells in there just for the sake of making a red control deck.

I wonder what uncommon/common storm cards might be able to take advantage of a dynamo or powerstone.
I already know ramp sorta sucks beyond Pelakka Wurm, Ulamog's Crusher and Triskellion. But hopefully that'll be supported by a couple rare fatties.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Did anybody ever hear of a cube in three parts? Draft formats end up being three sets, why not three cubes?
Also, where the hell is VibeBox?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I wonder what uncommon/common storm cards might be able to take advantage of a dynamo or powerstone.
I already know ramp sorta sucks beyond Pelakka Wurm, Ulamog's Crusher and Triskellion. But hopefully that'll be supported by a couple rare fatties.

I remember always liking Artisan of Kozilek in Rise of Eldrazi draft, so much so that I had it in the first incarnation of my cube. But still, yeah, slim pickings all round.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I had an UW control "cascade" standard deck that 4 - 0'd a local tournament by going Artisan of Kozilek -> Sun Titan -> Jace Beleren all day long.

VibeBox

Contributor
if anyone wants to work on any of the primer threads i cede control of them with my blessing. cube is basically the only magic i ever play anymore and my involvement with it waxes and wanes by the tide of glorious college footsball

I
Did anybody ever hear of a cube in three parts? Draft formats end up being three sets, why not three cubes?
I had this thought last week, but couldn't figure out what you gain from it. I guess that you get to have themes that evolve through the three packs, but I don't know what that actually does compared to just decks developing over the course of a regular cube draft.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Also, where the hell is VibeBox?
I think draft formats end up being three sets because wizards needs more sets to make money. Cube doesn't have that constraint. We can just make one set that works in-and-of itself and be done with it. Like Bob said, I don't know if splitting the cube and multiple pools is really that helpful. I mean, you could put all of your anchor/hook/build around cards in pack 1 which might be of some use to some cubes. This could be particularly useful for people who don't run "perfect fit" cubes (where all the cards get drafted). Its no fun finding out in pack 3 that card X wasn't in the draft pool.