General [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica

I hope the RTR shocks decrease in price as well. I want my Overgrown Tomb and Breeding Pool to match the rest of em'!

Also, is it just me, or do the fall colors shocklands look worse than the RTR or RAV ones?
sacredfoundry1.jpg
steamvents1.jpg
waterygrave1.jpg
overgrowntomb1.jpg
templegarden1.jpg

I mean, this is nice art, but it doesn't really match the flavor of the older shocks. You can mix RAV and RTR shocks without being able to tell they're from different sets that easily. These will stick out like a sore thumb compared to the others.

That said, I really like the Temple Garden, and I actually think this is the best Watery Grave art we've seen.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What do you suppose the interaction with lab maniac is? Doesn't play nice?
Actually, unlike Taigam, Sidisi's Hand, Underrealm Lich uses a replacement effect, as does Laboratory Maniac. Since both try to replace the same draw, you get to decide in which order their triggers go on the stack they apply! That would be a "works together very nicely!" then :)

Edit: Silly me, of course there isn't a trigger to go onto the stack, it's a replacement effect! Doesn't matter for the outcome though, still works!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I hope the RTR shocks decrease in price as well. I want my Overgrown Tomb and Breeding Pool to match the rest of em'!

Also, is it just me, or do the fall colors shocklands look worse than the RTR or RAV ones?
sacredfoundry1.jpg
steamvents1.jpg
waterygrave1.jpg
overgrowntomb1.jpg
templegarden1.jpg

I mean, this is nice art, but it doesn't really match the flavor of the older shocks. You can mix RAV and RTR shocks without being able to tell they're from different sets that easily. These will stick out like a sore thumb compared to the others.

That said, I really like the Temple Garden, and I actually think this is the best Watery Grave art we've seen.

I do prefer the new watery grave, but the RTR watery grave is also nice.

But hey, more options. Hell if these are somehow cheaper because they look that much worse, more power to wotc!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh boy, this gets me excited! A limited trick or a flexible removal spell? I almost feel sorry for myself since my cube doesn't support Golgari. What a great card! Hope the rest lives up to this!

en_s42V8VvJPd.png

I find Chart to be an extremely on-the-nose power draw spell in a lot of formats. It doesn't incentivize you to play the GY angle, it incentivizes the attack. And it's very easy to hit the condition, even in non-attacking decks.
When you try to de-power blue draw to let other colors shine (like {R/G}), Chart is not a great option. Radical Idea is assuredly lower power, but it seems like a nice option as a cog for lower-power GY formats.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
What made think twice an important card was that you could discard or mill it. The floor of the card was reasonable, but if you played ball with the formats other gy pieces, you could get a broken form of card advantage.

The trick with those gy formats, is having the potential to design a deck where faithless looting can read {R} draw 4 cards. More importantly, with a little creativity, your player gets rewarded with this pleasing feeling of symmetry where their deck is moving in two opposing directions at the same time (I'm gaining cards by losing cards, how neat!). They can feel smart and clever, it has this cool symbolism to it, but if they can't figure it out, it also dosen't hurt them.

Chart a course is a very good card, that does a lot of good things for a format (sift, encourage attacks etc), but I think radical idea has the potential to be much more memorable.

Jumpstart seems just as overcosted as replicate was, if not worse. That gold card is so unplayable, hoo boy is it bad. Who wants to fast a 3-mana gold card to tap a creature and shoot a stupid shock that only hits players even once? Emberassing.

Surveil looks good though, finally a cool mechanic with future potential from my guild!

That izzet card is just a common though? The one rare we've seen is fairly well costed. Being able to discard any card makes balancing very tricky, so I can honestly not fault them if they end up being a little conservative in the end.

Is the split card naming convention based on word play this time around? What will they come up with next

edit: the localization teams are gonna love that, im sure

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I find Chart to be an extremely on-the-nose power draw spell in a lot of formats. It doesn't incentivize you to play the GY angle, it incentivizes the attack. And it's very easy to hit the condition, even in non-attacking decks.
When you try to de-power blue draw to let other colors shine (like {R/G}), Chart is not a great option. Radical Idea is assuredly lower power, but it seems like a nice option as a cog for lower-power GY formats.

What made think twice an important card was that you could discard or mill it. The floor of the card was reasonable, but if you played ball with the formats other gy pieces, you could get a broken form of card advantage.

The trick with those gy formats, is having the potential to design a deck where faithless looting can read {R} draw 4 cards. More importantly, with a little creativity, your player gets rewarded with this pleasing feeling of symmetry where their deck is moving in two opposing directions at the same time (I'm gaining cards by losing cards, how neat!). They can feel smart and clever, it has this cool symbolism to it, but if they can't figure it out, it also dosen't hurt them.

Chart a course is a very good card, that does a lot of good things for a format (sift, encourage attacks etc), but I think radical idea has the potential to be much more memorable.

Ok, you may have convinced me to make the swap. I have been powering down blue's card advantage suite significantly recently, and have been enjoying Frantic Search a lot more than I ever did Compulsive Research (even though Compulsive is a great draw option).

I was briefly intrigued when I saw this card, until I remembered that I currently run this:

Yeah... Radical Idea does not compare favorably under most circumstances.

Instant > Sorcery

So obviously it will need to be lower power if we look beside the flexibility of the casting-clause.