Hearthstone

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Do you guys have any recommended sites/streamers/youtubers for watching Arena runs? I still feel like I have no idea how to draft properly in this game.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I like watching Kripparrian's vids. I've never watched ADWCTA/Merps (when they join forces) and ShadyBunny myself, but I've read that they are good at endlessly discussing plays and explaining their plays respectively, which seems exactly what you're looking for!

Edit: Watched ShadyBunny yesterday, and he's a really nice watch. Relaxed, reasons different lines of play out loud, dry sense of humor. Would watch again.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Funny how this game kind of makes you feel like you're terrible when you go 3 - 3.

Yeah. On the flip side, 7 wins already gives you a free Arena draft, so 10+ wins feels pretty unreal when it happens!

It's funny when you start thinking about the numbers though. By necessity, every win comes with a loss, which means that 3-3 should statistically be the average result. That means you need more than twice as many wins as average to get a free Arena draft! Going 7-3 is preeeeeetty good when you consider this, and actually, the running average of the best pro's is between 6 an 7 wins, which is a good indication that you shouldn't feel too bad about going 3-3 :)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have any resources on what kind of curve to draft? I think I'm trending too low, and not properly adjusting to the fact that you get a guaranteed land drop per turn.

I trink you want a reasonable number of cmc3 or lower creatures, the trades in the first few turns can be a game deciding factor. Some years ago that number was about 10 I believe. Fours are also very important.. At a higher cmc it the cost tends to matter much less. It depends on the deck type how many big drops you want. There are some that basically every deck wants though, like the 9 mana 9/7 that shoots for 4 or (back in the days) the 6 mana 6/7 vanilla, basically efficient p/t or strong abilities.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I pulled another 7 - 3 (without the newbie bonus) after upping my curve, but I think could have posted a better record. I punted my final game by attacking a creature instead of going face on a crucial turn. I wish there were some way to watch replays of games so I could study certain situations in more detail after the fact.

Do you guys have any recommended sites/streamers/youtubers for watching Arena runs? I still feel like I have no idea how to draft properly in this game.

IMO the absolute best Arena streamer is Hafu. She doesn't have a ton on her YouTube channel, but her stream is absolute top quality and she exclusively plays Arena. She's insanely good, largely because she's always focused on the big picture. Every move she makes is always with the question "how do I win from this position?" in mind. Also, she's super chill and relaxing to listen to. I like to put her on when I'm just trying to zone out before I go to sleep.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at some constructed decks (Discolock variants), and are cards like Malchezaar's Imp and Silverware Golem only available via purchase of the quest?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The solo player adventures are a hoot though! (And technically available for free, though I have no patience for grinding gold, so I just buy all the wings...)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ughhh, punting when you're on 6 - 2 is the worst. I can't believe I got Reno'd out in Arena.
I was at 5-2 when I first ran into a paladin deck that had buffed all the creatures in his hand twice, and then dropped a doubly buffed Grimestreet Protector in between two doubly buffed fat minions. Then next game I ran into Krul the Unshackled, with my opponent apparently still having two (!) fat demons in his hand. And yesterday I had a busted priest deck with three Kabal Dragonpriest, a Sunwalker, a Potion of Dragonfire and two North Sea Krakens amongst others, that absolutely crushed three opponents and petered out in the other three games I played because I drew the wrong cards at the wrong time. It really is a game of luck (or unlucky) sometimes :)

Edit: Oh yeah, the cleric was the game where I topdecked a useless Shadow Word: Pain and had to slam my board into an 8/8 taunt (because otherwise I would have lost them to unfavorable trades) with my opponent almost dead on board, then topdecked the Shadow Word: Death the next turn. Stuff like that determines the fine line between winning or losing.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I got up to Rank 10 in constructed play. According to this thing (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Ranked), that puts me in the top 8% of players. Currently running a Discolock deck, it's got some play to it but because of my curve I'm often kind of "all-in". Biggest thing to learn right now is what AoE to play around against each class. Anybody have good tips here?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I got up to Rank 10 in constructed play. According to this thing (http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Ranked), that puts me in the top 8% of players. Currently running a Discolock deck, it's got some play to it but because of my curve I'm often kind of "all-in". Biggest thing to learn right now is what AoE to play around against each class. Anybody have good tips here?

http://hearthstone.metabomb.net/game-guides/dealing-with-area-of-effect-removal
It's a bit outdated, but it's still a baseline. I would add...

Ravaging Ghoul (warrior, 3, deals 1 to all other minions)
Brawl (warrior, 5, destroy all but 1 minion)
Dragonfire Potion (priest, 6, 5 damage to all nondragon minions)
Excavated Evil (priest, 5, 3 damage to all minions + shuffle EE into opponent's deck)
Auchenai Soulpriest (priest, 4, 3/5, lifegain becomes damage) or Embrace the Shadows (priest, 2, lifegain becomes damage) + Circle of Healing (priest, 0, heal all minions for 4)
Doomsayer (neutral, 2, 0/7, destroy all minions at the beginning of its controller's next turn)
Twisting Nether (warlock, 8, destroy all minions) > this one is debatable but sees some play in Renolock I believe

... and keep in mind that Blade Flurry costs 4 nowadays. I don't even know if that gets played anymore. Holy Nova is really a starter sweeper as well, I don't think you'll run into that one at rank 10.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Mildly proud of myself for taking a deck with no legendaries to Rank 5 in constructed. The ladder is such a grind, and some games just feel unwinnable, but fiddling with the deck is pretty fun.

Running a midrange Jade list with Kobold Geomancer in place of Bloodmage Thalnos.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean it's been years since I actually understood hearthstone, but to my knowledge the important part of thalanos is not the spell damage, you might be better served by loot horder

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I mean it's been years since I actually understood hearthstone, but to my knowledge the important part of thalanos is not the spell damage, you might be better served by loot horder

The deck runs spirit claws and 4 board clears, so it needs spell damage far more.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, it's more that the stats are irrelevant (in as far that 2/2 and 1/1 are both bad on a 2 drop), you want spell damage on a cheap body, and Thalnos is better than the Kobold because it replaces itself when it dies.