Hearthstone

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm actually really sad about Unearthed Raptor rotating. My somehow functional N'Zoth Jade Pirate Burgle Miracle Rogue list will never be the same.

NIJ7TYg.png

My biggest complain is that Barnes seems to miss with alarming frequency. That's maybe an error in my deck construction.

Jade spirits are pretty unnecessary for this deck, especially considering you more than compensate by Journey Below -> Aya all day. Also, this was quite cathartic against tempo mage.

C444Dtk.jpg

Aha!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't know how I'm going to play standard after the rotation. I'll still have C'thun and One Night in Karazhan, but I hardly have any Mean Streets cards, and I'm going to miss Blackrock and League dearly!

I'm most excited about Priest in the new set. What about you saf?

I think quest priest is not as strong as people think it will be, even in Wild. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though.

I'm very excited for Paladin, which picks up a few exciting tools. I think I'm going to start out by upgrading Flood Paladin (the list I took to Legend) with the new Silver Hand Recruits one-drop and Sunkeeper Tarim, probably something like this. I also think I may have found the best Paladin quest shell - everyone else is going super aggro with Galvadon as a top-end but I think he's too fragile to be anything more than an alternate win-con. Having a guaranteed quest t1 means you can shift your curve a little higher, since you'll always have a turn one play and don't need to run a Pirate package anymore.

The super-aggro Hunter quest lists are going to be very good, but ultimately weak to meta counters imo. I'm hopeful that I'll get to play my usual build of Mid/N'Zoth Hunter, but I don't really see any new cards making their way into the (pretty tight) list. Also, I'll be playing a bunch of Freeze, with maybe a 1-of of the new secret tutor.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not super excited about the Priest quest, or, really any quest. What do you guys think about the design? I find them a bit... prescriptive? I mean, I guess Quest for the Holy Relic was kind of similar in design, but Magic also had small quests, or things that felt a bit... interactive? It just feels like most of these decks are at least 50% pre-built. Like, how many discard outlets are there even for the Warlock quest?

I do like the new Priest 1-drop.
200px-Crystalline_Oracle%2855461%29.png

Currently Swashburglar is my favorite card, and this is right in that family.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The quests surely offer a greater variety of linear decks than C'thun and Jade did in previous sets, since each class has a different one. They don't seem pushed enough to be mandatory but good enough to build around I think? If that's the case, I like them. Getting to the reward sure is a feel good moment for the pilot, I imagine!

Aside: Sometimes you wish you had recorded a match :) Playing against a paladin goons list (with all the boost cards in hand stuff) and had the perfect answer for his shenanigans every time, including a timely silence for his Tirion :D I was neutering his plays so hard that I was able to play Jaraxxus at 24 health on an empty board. I <3 Reno Warlock (and I am going to really, really miss it post rotation) ^_^

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm most excited about Priest in the new set. What about you saf?
I saw a clip today of a HS pro (forgot who it was, Amaz maybe?) rating every priest card in the new set 1/10 because priest is unplayable post rotation according to him. Many of the good priest cards will still be dragon-related (like Dragon Consort or Dragonfire Potion), but too many cards of the Dragon Priest deck are rotating out. They're even taking away Azure Drake! What's left is a class that's kind of divided between some non-overlapping themes it seems, and it's very possible none of them are deep enough when Un'toro hits the scene.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Trump rated every priest card 1 star out of 5 as well. Goodness gracious, the cards really don't look that bad to me, and Dragonfire Potion is still an amazing board clear, isn't it? Even if isn't really one-sided any more, 5 damage should clear almost anything that's played in the first five turns.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I reached by goal of getting to Rank 10 before the expansion dropped. I wanted to be at a floor so I feel totally free to mess around in ranked with the new cards. Maybe it's just me, but every time I really want to rank up quickly, I just pop in Aggro Shaman. Other decks are fun to play, but I can never seem to get nearly the same win rate. Even in Magic I was most effective as an aggro player, so I guess it makes sense to a degree.

I'm actually really sad about Unearthed Raptor rotating. My somehow functional N'Zoth Jade Pirate Burgle Miracle Rogue list will never be the same.

NIJ7TYg.png

My biggest complain is that Barnes seems to miss with alarming frequency. That's maybe an error in my deck construction.

Jade spirits are pretty unnecessary for this deck, especially considering you more than compensate by Journey Below -> Aya all day. Also, this was quite cathartic against tempo mage.

C444Dtk.jpg

Aha!

If it makes you feel any better, you're only about 200 dust away from throwing some Piloted Shredders and Sludge Belchers in there and taking that list to Wild.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So fun new things from standard (Courtesy of a buddy of mine:)
unknown.png

Molten Reflection is clone
Mage quest is play 6 spells that didn't start in your deck.
On 10: Sorcerer's apprentice x2, Molten Reflection x2, Cabalist Tome for 1, to finish off your quest
take an extra turn for 1
play Antonidias plus your 4 Sorcer's Apprentice is infinite fireballs

It's like playing freeze mage, but even less interactive :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Man, I don't know what to build yet. My 6 Un'goro boosters were crap, and I lost so much o_O On the plus side, I got 3400+ dust for the HoF cards, so I can definitely craft something. Legendaries are so expensive though... maybe I should go for rares and epics?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ok, I built elemental shaman without the OP legendary, which is still a sweet deck, but I only played two games with it, because I pulled Lyra Sunshard from a pack, and built a priest control deck around her. My god is she awesome! I won an epic slogfest against a priest deathrattle quest deck through both the 8/8 taunt (hehe, Lyra's Mind Control) and a N'zoth. It was so sweet :D

The druid quest deck routed me though. Too many 5 power beasts for my aggro-tuned list.

Lyra Control.png

Free From Amber is fantastic as well. Definitely won me some games (including one where I found Malygos to combo with an Holy Fire I got from Lyra) to kill my opponent out of nothing :)

Edit: And as I predicted, Dragonfire Potion is still a super good sweeper.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This is probably far from optimal, but it did beat miracle rogue (polymorphing both Shaku and an Auctioneer ^_^), and it's fun to play! I still have to counter a quest with Kabal Lackey into Counterspell though :)

I Got a Secret.png

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yay, rank 14 on the back of priest. I _love_ this deck! Dragonfire Potion is awesome against quest rogue :) Also, free wins against aggro druids are sweet as well. Make a 3/5 taunt for 3, buff it, heal it, watch them weep :D

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I opened 3 of the legendaries I wanted the least, and have had major analysis paralysis about which cards to craft, so thus far I've played 0 games of Standard on my own account, and just tooled around on my girlfriend's. In her packs she got Open the Waygate, Elise, Warrior Quest, Golden Hunter Quest and the legendary Rogue plant.

I got the Druid, Shaman and Warlock quests.

Lyra looks sweet, despite the kids on Reddit assuming she's terrible. Rogue quest looks potentially interesting, as does Kalimos. I've never played Miracle Rogue, but maybe now is the time to craft Preps?

Current cards I'm interested in:
Rogue Quest
Mage Quest
Kalimos
Sherazin
Lyra
Priest Quest

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've seen both the druid and shaman quest work, I think both are pretty cool. I think the druid quest deck is just dead against rogues though? Can't imagine how you are going to beat 5/5's for 1 with your 5 power dudes for 3+, but maybe I'm wrong. The warlock quest looks super sweet, but I haven't yet encountered it.

Rogue quests I've seen work multiple times, but my Lyra deck is pretty good against them, at least the players in the lower ranks, and I have a positive record against the deck. I don't think you have to be too afraid of Lyra Control though, so far I haven't played a mirror match. All the priests I encountered were on deathrattle quest. One of my coolest matches was against quest priest actually, where I got to Mind Control (thanks Lyra!) their Amara, then went Medivh into Free from Amber, that was a bit too much for them :) Anyway, rogue quest is cool, but I wonder how quick it'll get boring to play because it's basically the same trick every time.

Mage quest seems to gimmicky I think. You have to get to the late game, and you depend a bit too much on finding the right random spells for that. I saw Thijs doing well with a pretty sweet looking elemental mage deck at legend rank, maybe that's an option? Here's the list. It should be cheap to craft as well, since I know you already have Thalnos, and the Phoenix isn't mandatory I believe.

Kalimos looks sweet. I dislike crafting class legendaries though, but it's definitely strong.

Sherazin did surprisingly well in the games I saw on Twitch. Thijs encountered the deck (when he wasn't playing elemental mage) a few times at rank legend, and that think kept popping back into play.

Lyra, I love her :) Don't think she's as good as some of the other legendaries, but she sure is fun, and she totally runs away with a game if they don't remove her immediately.

Priest quest is awesome, and the deck looks fun to play as well. A lot of the deathrattles give you cards from your opponent's deck, and unlike the rogue quest deck, you can actually use them, so you're playing a different deck every time. Fair warning, an 8/8 taunt and 40 life don't save you against slower decks though, and you need to include enough early interaction to stave off aggressive decks because otherwise you're dead before you get a chance to summon Amara.

Anyway, I still have 1600 dust sitting on the shelf because I don't know which legendary to craft either :) How good has Thalnos been for you? I still haven't pulled him, and he does look nice in multiple lists.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Thalnos is amazing!
Yeah, he looks awesome. Problem is, it's hard to get excited over an unassuming legendary like Thalnos over something flashy like Kazakus, even though Thalnos is probably the right craft. A bigger problem, however, is that there's still a lot of high profile epics that I'm missing, like Molten Giant, Preparation, Doomsayer, Dirty Rat, Primordial Glyph, Ice Block, and more... I should probably just go ahead and craft four epics, or even some classic rares I don't have yet :/

Edit: Jeez, I don't even have Blizzards and Doomguards...