Hex TCG MMO

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Oh man. Oh man oh man oh man.

Hmmm. Let me back up and start from the top.

This thread isn't about cube. This isn't even about Magic. This is about a Magic clone that's built from the ground up to function entirely online, with a healthy dose of MMO trappings surrounding the procedures. It's being developed by Cryptozoic, current designers of the WoW TCG.

It's probably easier for you to check out the website directly than to have me try to explain it to you.

Main website: http://hextcg.com
GerryT's take on it: http://hextcg.com/gerryt-enters-entrath/

Back? Good. So, from what I can gather:
  • It's an exact Magic clone, through and through. Right down the five colors, the mana system, and the all-in combat system. I'm a little surprised they chose to ape off Magic, and not off their own WoW TCG, which uses a different combat system that shifts the balance more in favour of attackers.
  • It's free to play, in the sense that it's not subscription-based, nor is there a cost for the desktop client. It's more akin to the MTGO model, where you pay for packs and singles, which you then own.
  • PvE will be a big part of the game. This is where the MMO sensibilities kick in. By running dungeons and raids, you'll be able to earn gear, which you can then equip to your cards to augment their abilities. This equipment won't be usable in PvP.
  • PvE raids will be 3 on 1, and I assume will be modeled after their WoW TCG raids, which in turn were meant to replicate the feel of WoW MMO boss encounters. As someone who can't get enough of co-op in games, I personally loved the eff out of raiding in WoW TCG, so I'm hopeful this will capture that feel.
  • PvP looks like it'll comprise constructed and draft. PvP cards and PvE cards won't overlap, and I imagine the reason for this is that balance is far more important when you're playing competitive formats.
On the one hand, I'm incredibly excited for this project, and my first instinct is to pour a whole bunch of cash monies into their current Kickstarter campaign, in order to ensure that I nab heaping handfuls of shiny exclusive goodies. I'm normally really cautious about backing projects that are barely a quarter done before their owners come begging for money, and I've never funded a Kickstarter before, but the combination of TCG and MMO, like a delectable Reese's peanut butter cup, makes my knees weak.

On the other, I figure that a good 75% of TCG's don't make it past the two-year mark of their lifespan. The survival rate for MMO's is likely even worse, though in the case of online games, their death is usually slow, protracted, and painful. So in combining two genres in which the mortality rate is ghastly, it's a bit like trying to attack Mount Everest with just a pair of hiking shoes and some nifty sunglasses.

It's with a wary optimism that I'll be following this game's development. What do you guys think? Will anybody here be plopping down some cash? Or is this property doomed from the outset?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
This thing?
i-ZRD5Mnv-950x10000.jpg

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/05/10

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I will say I have been burned by digital collectible games in the past. I played Pox Nora when it first launched, and had a great time dueling there. Then at some point the designers just lost their shit and all sense of quality control just went out the door. It was a really novel concept too, a bit of a shame to see what happens to it.

Next:
PvE... At least it's not overlapping in gear with the PvP section. I will say, one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played, Shadowrun for Xbox360, never got any traction because it was multiplayer only. The multiplayer was fantastic (sooo good), but so many people didn't even play it because there was no single player mode. So I imagine these sorts of things are very good for the game, even if I personally don't care for them.

I'll give this game my usual dose of cautious optimism. If it turns out to be well developed and reasonably priced, I'd love to hop on board.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Anybody try this? My latest dalliance with Hearthstone didn't click, and in looking for something with more meat on the bone, I'm wondering if Hex is the ticket. Curious to know if anyone's dabbled with it.

I, uh... still haven't claimed my Kickstarter reward from three years back, and wonder if it's gone poof. Not that I really care either way.

(To be clear, I still think Magic is by far the best game, but neither MTGO nor Magic Duels are supported on Mac, and I'm not about to jump through 1001 hoops to play one game)

A friend of mine gave me an update about a week ago (he's been trying to get me to buy in for a long time). Apparently they're inundated with legal issues from Hasbro, but are on the verge of climbing out of it with minor tweaks.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
A friend of mine gave me an update about a week ago (he's been trying to get me to buy in for a long time). Apparently they're inundated with legal issues from Hasbro, but are on the verge of climbing out of it with minor tweaks.

I think they're actually over that hurdle - they settled with Hasbro by licensing Magic: The Gathering, which makes a ton of sense to me. I mean, anyone can tell that Hex is a blatant rip-off of Magic's ruleset, with about a 1-2% tweak to the core rules; this way, Hex keeps getting to do their thing, but Wizards gets a cut of the action.

They did have to change a few cards and rules to distance themselves from Magic, though. Most notably, none of the heroes have 20 health anymore - they start with anywhere from 14 to 26 life, but none of them have exactly 20. Weird!

https://www.hextcg.com/core-system-changes-in-hex/