Sets Hour of Devastation Thread

nicolbolasgodpharaoh.jpg

The God-Pharaoh has arrived! Unfortunately, he has also become less elegant/powerful than his previous incatnation - Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker.

Other goods spoil/leaked so far are:

samutthetested.jpg

bontuslastreckoning.jpg

Personally, I am most excited for Bontu's Last Reckoning due to being a potentially undercosted board wipe. Salmut could be interesting - can protect itself and its plus is good for aggro decks. However, I am sceptical of how well Salmut works and perhaps a little too bullish on Bontu's Last Reckoning. (For the record, I do recognize the heafty set up required for Last Reckoning)

What is eveyone's thought on Hour of Devastation now that leak preview season has begun for it?

Abrade and Ramunap Excavator look sweet.

Abrade:
1R - Instant
Choose one:
-3 dmg to creature
-destroy target artifact

Ramunap Excavator
2G 2/3
Crucible of Worlds

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't like any of these three cards. Bolas' +2 is filthy and I much prefer the old design, Samut is a boring Planeswalker in a guild that's teeming with interesting planeswalkers, and I've been moving to five+ mana wraths on purpose in my cube, so I'm not looking for a new black wrath at cmc 3. But like, seriously? Another {R/G} walker? You really thought that color pair needed more? This even was your chance to print a decent Naya card, with original Samut already needing {W} to unlock her full potential. Pretty disappointed here :/

Despite that, I have no thoughts whatsoever on Hour of Devastation. I'm not foolish enough to form an opinion after seeing only three cards. The juice for my lower powered cube is seldom in these first high profile leaks.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Abrade and Ramunap Excavator look sweet.

Abrade:
1R - Instant
Choose one:
-3 dmg to creature
-destroy target artifact

Ramunap Excavator
2G 2/3
Crucible of Worlds

See! This is what I'm talking about! These are super sweet and probably both auto-adds to my cube :D

Abrade.jpg Ramunap Excavator.jpg Wildfire Eternal.jpg Adorned Pouncer.jpg

Now what the heck is Eternalize?

Realistically it's probably something boring like 'gains indestructible', but I've seen speculation that it comes back from the GY when you pay the cost as an enchantment that has the anthem version of its ability, like "All your creatures gain doublestrike" here. That is, of course, speculation, but it is a cool design.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
TBF the wrath is really a 6+ mana wrath. It might be awful, it might be the right amount of fair you'd want if you're moving to 5 mana wraths. The drawback is serious and real.

It is, but I still don't want my black-based control decks to easily counter an aggro start on turn 3, and this lets them do that.

wow....Abrade and Excavator are tiiiight. If eternalize is even remotely relevant, I'll probably cube the cat.

It is, but I still don't want my black-based control decks to easily counter an aggro start on turn 3, and this lets them do that.
And then they play literally anything the next turn and you have your thumb up yer bum as you not only watch it resolve after your wrath, but have to spend your turn doing nothing. Frankly I think this could be *worse* than most 5 mana wrath variants. I hear your concerns, but I don't think you're giving enough credence to the detriments of the card, which are absolutely real.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
And then they play literally anything the next turn and you have your thumb up yer bum as you not only watch it resolve after your wrath, but have to spend your turn doing nothing. Frankly I think this could be *worse* than most 5 mana wrath variants. I hear your concerns, but I don't think you're giving enough credence to the detriments of the card, which are absolutely real.

Sorry, believe me, I know the downsides are very, very real. Savor the Moment was as unplayable a rare as they get, like really, really bad. Bontu's Resolve has a much more relevant effect, and a slightly less bad downside (artifact mana still untaps), but the downside is still so severe it might turn out unplayable anyway. I still don't want a three mana unconditional wrath in my format though, no matter the downside. The card doesn't excite me in any way because there's absolutely nothing there that I want in a wrath effect, and so it doesn't get me pumped for Hour of Devastation. Stuff like Abrade and Ramunap Excavator does though!

Yeah, Bontu's is definitely a card that needs testing. I don't want to say it's outright bad because it's a three mana wrath, and I don't want to say it's outright good because the drawback is real, but if it falls somewhere in the middle there that's still an ACS I might be OK with.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, Bontu's is definitely a card that needs testing. I don't want to say it's outright bad because it's a three mana wrath, and I don't want to say it's outright good because the drawback is real, but if it falls somewhere in the middle there that's still an ACS I might be OK with.

While I'm not excited by the card, I can completely understand why others would be. If you're in the market for a good three mana wrath, Toxic Deluge is a real winner. Of course you might already cube that, I wouldn't know :) In any case, there was a time when my cube still ran shit like Signets, Karn Liberated, Tinker, Hero of Bladehold and Wurmcoil Engine, and Deluge was very good in that environment.

TBF the wrath is really a 6+ mana wrath. It might be awful, it might be the right amount of fair you'd want if you're moving to 5 mana wraths. The drawback is serious and real.

My thought process is that is works either late game where it really does not matter or in a deck that is pushing signets as a form of ramp. This way the secondary effect is negated by not working or allows an aggro or midrange deck to minimize the problem with good game play. I like the fact that Last Reckoning needs forethought put into it when deck building to work well.

Ahhhhhhhhhh

Crucible creature. Efficiently costed. WTF so perfect

This is, by the way, kickass with Bicycle Lands, and Unicycle lands for that matter. Crucible is too, but this can also just go in more green creature decks and be a more incidental effect

Chris Taylor

Contributor
That will also happen in standard with the bicycle lands which is awesome.

Holy crap abrade though. Didn't one of us have that exactly but @RR?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I did, but it was slightly stronger. Great card, Abrade should also be very good.
k1cZamD.jpg
Sweet! That's one of my designs! I don't have it in my cube anymore because the RR was a bit too taxing in my multicolor cube for a custom spell, but it's sweet to see one of your customs pop up in someone else's cube :) I've since upped the fixing and successfully reintroduced a select few CC spells, so I could probably play it again, but now I don't have to! Yay Wizards :D