Card/Deck Hybrid 1 drops: Dimir sucks

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Neither card you linked seems overpowered at 1-mana, but neither excites me either. Some of the other hybrids listed appear a little overwhelming for a powered cube. If you're willing to change costs I may take a look at your UG and BW slots, for example.

yeah, BW didn't really appeal to me either, but seemed palatable at least. I'm open to changing costs, but some of my other drafters may be less thrilled, but they probably wont even notice on a lot of these under used commons

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Yeah I'd stay away from cycles. But I get that this thread assumes that you wanna complete the cycle, so go nuts.

If you're willing to use customs I'd figure out your archetypes and see what neat cards you can come up with that support them.

We came up with a cool Xu/b custom in one of the custom threads that played well as a one-drop and scaled well too. Cant remember the effect though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
We came up with a cool Xu/b custom in one of the custom threads that played well as a one-drop and scaled well too. Cant remember the effect though.
I believe it was this:

Brain Worm {X}{U/B}
Creature - Worm
Brain Worm enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Brain Worm enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals his or her hand and you choose a nonland card from it. Exile that card until Brain Worm leaves the battlefield.
When Brain Worm dies, draw a card.
0/0

It's Peek at one mana, or a scalable Brain Maggot with a bonus draw when it dies at two or more mana. Of course Devour Intellect is also a sweet card ;)

Edge of Divininty, Tattermunge Maniac and Nivmagus Elemental all kinda suck.

Shaving a mana off these commons should make for playable cards I think.

Land mox slippery boggle doesn't sound so inspiring.

Neither does looking at a pack where the top end is mind twist and the bottom end is niv-magus. I'd love to know your concept.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Land mox slippery boggle doesn't sound so inspiring.

Neither does looking at a pack where the top end is mind twist and the bottom end is niv-magus. I'd love to know your concept.
Yeah. I do think Rasmus's post is worth repeating here.

Is there a reason for you to wanna do this other than to "complete the cycle" because it looks nice in an excel sheet? It's tempting, but to me it feels more like a trap than anything else.

I tried this experiment in my cube a long time ago. But I don't make custom cards so I squinted my eyes and included
Image.ashx

Nivmagus elemental and the maniac were really dissapointing in game even at my then very low powerlevel. Maybe you could make nivmagus work somehow. But the maniac takes away from your decisionmaking because the decks that want to play him can't afford to throw away their creatures. So when you play the maniac you are basically allin and your opponent has a whole turn to prepare for your attack phase because a 1 drop gave your gameplan away. If your opponent drops a 2 for 1 drop or a regular 1/3 you can't build your board until they are dead (unless you waste your maniac), in most cubes aggro does not need to be punished like that.

Slippery boogle is a beast in my cube.
slave of bolas