I hate everything you like

I keep looking at Yomi, but can't justify the cost of it compared to, say, three other games. Unless I get one of the two-deck packs, in which case why bother because you've only got one game.

I'm not interested in puzzle strike, because aside from the shuffling problem, I'm fairly certain Dominion will be better given my experience with deck-builders.

En Garde clone doesn't look interesting to me. Pandante looks worse.

E: Also he's patched puzzle strike twice, so who knows when he'll release a new, marginally different version of any of those games.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
storytime

Eh, well, basically, in high school, this girl I was in love with had gone to Germany for a year on foreign exchange. None of her other friends really kept in contact with her while she was gone, but she and I wrote these long tomes to each other every day. I was so excited for her to return that I planned this big ol surprise party, part of which involved a dinner at Olive Garden. Due to some emotional issues she basically ignored me the whole time and I was completely devastated. But it's alright because one of these days our divorce will be finalized.

CML

Contributor
"The neverending pasta bowl was so simple and unobtrusive that Mrs. Wadds failed to notice it. We ate to the music of casual dining -- the crunch of the bones, the drip of blood and infant snot, the tap of the cell phone basting the thin slices of breast. I closed my mind to him as best I could and gave myself to the food before me, but sentences came breaking in on my happiness, recalling me to the harsh, acquisitive world which Mrs. Wadds inhabited ... The weeks passed and still the Waddell Father-in-Law lived on. In June my divorce was made absolute and my former wife married for the second time."

there are occasionally hints of this in magic with regards to formats but ive never seen this quite like in fighting games:
the idea that a player can't be truly Good unless they have Fighting Game Fundamentals. nobody can actually quantify what this is or what this means, just that it is somehow tied to whatever that particular player thinks is the One True Game. commonly listed here are Street Fighter 2: Hyper Fighting, Super SF2 Turbo, King of Fighters 98, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 1 or whatever version of Guilty Gear that person played once. they list certain tendencies or playstyles that show that a player has strong or weak Fundamentals, an ability to excel with vanilla footsies-based characters like Ryu (or whoever) without bullshit. ignoring that Ryu (or whoever) has had his own heaping piles of bullshit in those games and ignoring that those games had their own heaping piles of bullshit characters. But if someone only wins in some other games, if they can't win in a Real Game without Gimmicks, then they dont have Real Fundamentals.

if this match happened in a modern fighting game people would be saying about how neither of these players have fundamentals and how they could not make it in a Real Game like ST because they are just going nuts

on the other hand this nova player has No Fundamentals

i see a little bit of this in magic where people say they dont respect people who are only good at x or y format but much less so. i guess there's more of an overlap in players. imagine if you had to share GP with people who played another TCG or something

Wow, that really made me not want to play MvC
oh
why? its pretty cool and despite what i just said the people are actually really chill. i get worked up over this kind of thing because i care and i wouldnt care if it wasn't worth it

edit: the ppl who play st are too, dont get that wrong either

I just generally dislike when losing in fighting games without landing a hit :p

I was referencing the video with my comment.

I have played some MvC and enjoyed it, but mostly with people at the same (low) skill level as me, then it can be fun.

I just generally dislike when losing in fighting games without landing a hit :p

I was referencing the video with my comment.

I have played some MvC and enjoyed it, but mostly with people at the same (low) skill level as me, then it can be fun.
oh haha, that can happen in any fighting game.

perfects and near-perfects are often part of highlight videos and stuff. when it happens its something unusual and notable

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Fighting games are so cool to watch when you know the egos at play. They're so goddamn mind-gamey and personal, like, when somebody wins, they didn't play abstractly play better, they beat some very specific chump. In shooters people play mostly with a disregard for their opponents.

For this reason the crowd always seemed to be more involved with the MLG fighters (well, Smash) than shooters. The only exception I can think of was when Carbon and Final Boss had a huge grudge match rivalry at the end of 2006, but, for my money, there's still nothing like the visceral "oohs" and "aahs" of the crowd flipping out during a good fighting game set.

I tend to dislike people who play a lot of fighting games. The community and atmosphere is always so icky in my experience.

I tend to dislike people who play a lot of fighting games. The community and atmosphere is always so icky in my experience.
is this a bad personal experience, just a general impression based on tuning into a few streams, or something else?

every community has its problems. most of them are trying to improve. changing the status quo is not easy.

CML

Contributor
Melee had tremendous entertainment value, it just lacked support and therefore had the mtg problem on a grander scale

I hate this standard format passionately, though the joy of Seattle hero Thea Steele t8ing here is enough to curb even my loathing of this and tnn

All I have to contribute to this thread at the moment is my intense loathing of ventriloquism, the fact that the word literally doesn't mean only literally anymore, and how much I fucking hate Guy Fieri.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
All I have to contribute to this thread at the moment is my intense loathing of ventriloquism, the fact that the word literally doesn't mean only literally anymore, and how much I fucking hate Guy Fieri.

Personal foul, 15 yards. Violation: nobody likes Guy Fieri.

Man what a contrived and inaccessible thing to be annoyed with! I think you are going to fit in here just fine!

CML

Contributor

the pete wells review was pretty good, though he indulges himself in the fundamental new york hypocrisy, viz. that the rest of it is all that different from times square. that being said, that his loathing of guy fieri was so close to self-loathing was maybe what made the review so enjoyable