Sets [IKO] Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths

Well to be fair he did say that the spoiled cards were written from memory and thus he could be a little wrong :p

Noooooooooooo!!

I thought I could name these my 10 favorite cards of all time (because I knew that would be! Deck constraints is why I host cube tournaments.) but then they spoiled that one Companion that Dave Humpherys didn’t see succeed in an Ikoria draft.

9263700E-CF6A-4849-9643-AB689EE17788.jpeg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Kaheera-the-Orphanguard-IKO-672.jpg

:(

The wedge ultimatums have been spoiled as well. Everything TrainMaster shared with us became true.

Yet he got yelled at for spoiling fake cards on MTG Salvation.

A big hurrah for Train from me! Long live the king of trains!

Hurrah!
To be fair, I specifically didn't share it with salvation because I didn't want to get yelled at. I wish that other guy hadn't reposted but whatever.

We have wedge lands with three land types to look forward too. That's going to be a shoe in for my cube, helped out by a few customs for the shard ones :)
I'm almost wondering if the poster who leaked the "wedge lands" was actually talking about the crystals. Wedge lands still seem too good to be true to me and the crystals do something very similar:
ketriacrystal.jpg

Here's the Activator:

Remember, Cycling counts as an activated ability, so this guy reduces cycling costs too!

I don't know if there are enough AA's that you'd want to reduce the costs on to make this guy playable in every cube deck that tries to build around this, but there are some explosive options. Urza, Lord High Artificer, Heliod, God of the Sun, Cemetery Reaper, Seasoned Pyromancer, Hammer of Purphoros, Pia and Kiran Nalaar, Incubation Druid, and the Embalm/Eternalize cards all get a big boost from this.

Perhaps he's like the Dinosaur Hippo and is good in the 40 but usually hard to work as a companion? I'm not sure.

The Brushwagg is here!
almightybrushwagg.jpg

All Hail the Almighty Brushwagg!

This guy actually seems fine in low-powered cubes, especially ones with counters themes. His raw glory wouldn't quite fit in my current cube, but I could see myself playing this in a different project eventually. I'm happy with this.

This is actually the first card I could actually see myself freeing a slot for. I mean, it is not even limited to once a turn, so it could be good right? I mean in a ramp deck, you could threaten tons of trample damage, and in an aggro deck, would he be that much worse than, let's say, a Jungle Lion?

Ahh, maybe it's not the first card I'm considering. Too often you don't want to keep your mana open but instead drop a hasty creature/anthem/removal etc.

Well, I feel watched now.

I considered this for UG Flash, but 1/1 is too weak to exert pressure. Kessig Prowler is a lot better, and pretty tame in power level. I can't see anyone playing this little dude even at my power level :(

This is actually the first card I could actually see myself freeing a slot for. I mean, it is not even limited to once a turn, so it could be good right? I mean in a ramp deck, you could threaten tons of trample damage, and in an aggro deck, would he be that much worse than, let's say, a Jungle Lion?

Ahh, maybe it's not the first card I'm considering. Too often you don't want to keep your mana open but instead drop a hasty creature/anthem/removal etc.

It's probably better than Wolfbitten Captive 60 or so percent of the time. Since your R/G section asks for aggro players to insert their hand into their graveyard for Wild Mongrels, it's nice to have a big mana sink that can help to finish games. Mana efficiency can be just as good as spell velocity in these sorts of decks in my experience.

Ah so flipping cool, if the draft experience is good enough I'm seriously going to consider making my first set cube.

Also, on topic Fight Club
eerieultimatum.jpg
vs.
nethroiapexofdeathp.jpg

Assume that drafters are familiar with mutate and there's not much confusion.

Brushwagg is pretty cool, but I heavilly doubt it is near the powerlevel of a Wolfbitten Captive, especially in the right environment.

I'd be very interested to hear how this is 60% of time better than the Captive. Needing only 2 mana to pump, and being able to transform into a 2/2 base is pretty good for a certain type of aggro deck.

Brushwagg is pretty cool, but I heavilly doubt it is near the powerlevel of a Wolfbitten Captive, especially in the right environment.

I'd be very interested to hear how this is 60% of time better than the Captive. Needing only 2 mana to pump, and being able to transform into a 2/2 base is pretty good for a certain type of aggro deck.

Well, captive has two things that makes it worse than the Almighty Brushwagg in my opinion.

First, it doesn't have any built-in evasion. Wolfbitten Captive, even in Krallenhorde Killer mode, doesn't ever have any evasion. A token deck can chump block the thing for days without ever taking a serious hit. The Brushwagg has trample, which means it can't be blocked cleanly without committing a large creature to it.

Second, the Wolfbitten Captive isn't always at its ceiling. Almighty Brushwagg is always a 1/1 trampler with a 4-mana built-in giant repeatable growth. Wolfbitten Captive, meanwhile, is sometimes just a Frilled Sandwalla. If the opponent can consistently cast two spells in a turn, it's never going to reach it's Krallenhorde Killer ceiling.

I will concede that Wolfbitten Captive is slightly better in matchups where the opponent won't be casting many spells until the late-game. When Wolfbitten Captive is just an Icehide Golem, it's a reasonable card. Those are the 40% of games where it's better. However, if the opponent can stop it from flipping, I'd much rather have the Almighty Brushwagg. You can even pump the Brushwagg twice in the occasional game where that is relevant, which can't be said for Wolfbitten Captive or Krallenhorde Killer.

Basically, the cards are similar, but the Almighty Brushwagg, as it's name implies, is usually just better.

Ah so flipping cool, if the draft experience is good enough I'm seriously going to consider making my first set cube.

Also, on topic Fight Club
eerieultimatum.jpg
vs.
nethroiapexofdeathp.jpg

Assume that drafters are familiar with mutate and there's not much confusion.

I think Nethroi is a little stronger in a cube setting, but which is better really depends on what the format looks like.

Eerie ultimatum is a much better (albeit harder to cast) mass reanimation spell than Nethroi, since it can grab any number of permanents of any type. Nethroi, on the other hand, is better in games where you'd be happy with just playing a 5/5 Deathtouch Lifeline for 5. Eerie Ultimatum is always slow and for more controlling decks while Nethroi can work as a top-end midrange finisher.