General Integrated Storm/Combo

Hi all,

Does anyone have any good ideas about supporting a storm or combo-type deck in cube that doesn't need super narrow cards?

I am currently theorycrafting a 360-card 2-of cube and am hoping to includesome combo-style burst kills that are still viable decks if things fall apart during the draft off the top of the deck.

A few little clusters I have thought of so far:

The bones of a bushwacker oriented combo-aggro deck

The bones of a "storm"-esque combo deck that can pivot into a reanimator deck. Not sure if I want to run some storm cards?

Of course this is a little bit easier for me as I am running so many doubles so I can pick the most appropriate cards.

Any thoughts?

(Here is a draft list http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/101257)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Whydirt has been making a bit of progress in this area. Uses Storm spells as value engines instead of game-winning cards. Looks like a fun way to use them without them being backbreaking or useless:

Let's talk about the storm deck I posted in CBS:

RUG Storm from CubeTutor.com

As this deck demonstrates, storm's home is in Temur colors. In the right draft, I'm sure it could work with just two of the three colors with or without a splash from white or black.

My intent is that storm cards can be played as highly synergistic value spells instead of all-or-nothing finishers. Specifically, my assumption that most storm spells will be cast with a storm count of 2-4. Getting a higher count is certainly possible, but getting 6-10 goblins (or 3-5 crows/beasts) should be enough to compete in most games. Since the storm player can't really go-off until turn 5 or 6, beatdown decks don't have to have 1-drops to realistically pressure the combo opponent.

Some notes on specific cards in this deck:
  • Other than Empty the Warrens itself, none of the cards here exclusively go in the storm deck.
  • Epic Experiment is my Mind's Desire replacement. I believe the slightly lower floor of only hitting instants and sorceries is outweighed by the ease of hitting 5-7 cards off your library compared to building an equivalent storm count.
  • The two main mana engines for this deck are Cloudstone Curio and Flameshadow Conjuring. Both play well with the "free" creatures and eldrazi spawn and treasure creators to give you access to the burst of temporary mana you need to combo off without permanently ramping you.
  • More or Less on Thermo-Alchemist to double the pinging damage or Talrand to make 3/2 drakes seems good. I think it's a first-pickable spell.
  • While none of them show up here, the surge cards of Jori-En, Pyromancer's Assault, and Tyrant of Valakut give storm drafters a decent backup plan to get value from their free spells.
  • I've since removed the duplicate of Empty since I think there are enough other finishers and it was the only non-land double in the cube.
  • The singleton swamp is there to help ensure I could hit converge of 4 on Bring to Light.
I like using specific drafts as jumping off points for my thoughts, so expect more of these in the future!

Here's a recent one we had in a 1v1 draft:

Permanents

Spells

Aether Searcher was attached to Mystic Confluence.
Deck played out as a value control deck more often than not. It probably had to because there was no Brain Freeze or Tendrils of Agony for the instant kill. Aetherflux Reservoir technically could pull off a one shot, but this particular deck was not as conducive for that. It made a lot of mana, but wasn't heavy on cheap spells or card draw.