Jonas 360 Cube

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Very little. More of the lands are playable to more of the players, if that's what you mean (Flooded strand is still playable in RW, but tundra is not). I'd say everyones mana get a little better, but only in that you ACTUALLY have people playing their nonbasics, not just people disappointed when they have 3 bouncelands in an aggro deck.

The landfall guys get better. Not too much better, because despite how many are floating around, fetchlands are all really good, so you can only realistically get so many.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, the problem with land destruction is that half of the decks just don't care. The Gruul decks that would play Stone Rain and such, while on the aggro end of the spectrum, can be outpaced by the Boros and Rakdos hyper aggressive swarm decks. If you go with double Stone Rain and double Ice Storm, your R/G decks might be better against control, but the other half of the time they'll be actively worse off as they sit there with a pile of cards that can't interact with small creatures.

Like I said above, if you feel that control is too strong in your environment, I would try dialing the knobs down on some of the control enablers first before putting in a narrow set of hosers that go specifically in one colour combination.

Thing is though, I don't run that many mana rocks

That doesn't seem like it would be too much. I don't feel like i need to have them though, so I have no problem taking them out.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Hmmmm, yeah. That's not an overabundance for 360, though I suspect Coalition Relic is secretly the best card in your cube if your power level ceiling isn't too high, so I'd keep an eye on that.

How are your control decks taking control of the games? Is it through an abundance of removal & sweepers? By accelerating into unbeatable finishers? Filtering and sculpting perfect hands? Countering every relevant threat? Jamming the board with multiple planeswalkers? If you can identify your control decks' areas of strength, you can tweak each of those factors independently until you arrive at an overall power level you're comfortable with.

Their strenghts are being black and blue and removing everything that hits the table. Spot removal and counters usually, maybe with some blink. It probably has a bit to do with most of us suck at deck building too. But yeah, it seems like spot removal and value is what makes the best deck here. Shriekmaw, sower, etc.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, a quick glance at your list shows me that the power level of your creature base isn't too high, but on the flip side, you still run most of the best removal, all of the best counterspells, and some very hard-to-answer creature stealing. I think your best bet is to either juice up your creatures to have them keep pace with the spells, or tone down the spell section to put it more in line with the rest of your cube. In my own Modern list, for example, I don't run either Vedalken Shackles nor Sower of Temptation, as while those cards can be answered, they tend to be swingy and dominate the games in which they stick around.

Yes, I've been looking at culling some removal, and increasing my creature power, but I'm not really sure on what creatures to add, guess I'll have to do some legwork on my own and look through people's cubes :p

Quick and dirty change, since I got a card in the mail
In

Out

Taking out Squee for now, since he's only used in control and mid-range. Even though I adore the little sucker.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Jeez, those lands!

Lands that could go to the main cube:
Cards that seem horrible:
Do remember that these still need to be good enough to justify a card in your deck. The downsides on some of those horrible ones I mentioned is a bit steep for what they do
Except new belenia, but come on :p

I agree on Yavimaya Hollow, it is good enough to warrant a pick, as is Kor Haven. Soaring Seacliff is better then it looks, that surprise flyer can be more useful then at least Teetering Peaks. The other ones in the horrilbepile are pretty horrible ;) At least Nexus can pump itself/Mutavault. I've been trying out the utility pile for a couple of times now, and my group hasn't really warmed up to it yet, I feel.

Changes

Out:

In:

Skipping the utility land draft for now, not really that fun when you don't have a full draft, which I almost never have.

Pondering if I should just throw everything out and start over from the beginning, things are a bit too consistent deck-wise for me at the moment, and I'm not really sure how to make that part a bit more exciting, without cutting down on fun. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
You mean your getting the feeling that your cube is just a handful a preconstructed archetypes with only a few cards shifting that don't really change things too much?

I think we've all been there at some point.

I wholeheartedly recommend starting from the bottom. When you try to "swap" or "cut down" to make a cube, you end up retaining a lot of the baggage of that design. It gets frustrating when you simultaneously trying to enact your vision while also fixing the old problems.

Its much better to completely clean the slate and think "what do I want to do" and "what do I need to do it" and start throwing cards onto the pile that accomplish that. I mean, you might end up being shocked when you aren't running "favorite card X", but more often then not I think you'll realize that "favorite card X" actually wasn't adding anything to the environment.

So. Throwing stuff out, starting over. Pondering where I want my power level. Can these cards exist in the same cube?

vs

vs

vs

I'm glancing over at Eric's cube a lot, but on the other hand, I mostly play because of nostalgia, so I don't want to go only modern border.
I have no sacred cows over here, but I don't really know where to start either. I'm culling things like swords, jitte, probably stuff like shriekmaw, nekrataal, a lot of the artifacts really, maybe to replace them with hybrids? Who knows, hybrids are fun. Suggestions, thrashings and snide comments welcome.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Before I even read your statement that you'd been looking at my cube, I was going to chime in to say that I banned both Falkenrath Aristocrat and Deathrite Shaman for power level reasons. Deathrite Shaman, in particular, is both annoying and oppressive in lower-powered lists.

Masked Admirers is at the other end of the spectrum. It's pretty weak, by any cube standards. So I don't think you want both him and Aristocrat residing in the same cube.

Scavenging Ooze is pretty powerful, but he's also fun, at least. I say run him!

Masked admirers is a midrange herpderp value card, that I think only has a place in that sort of cube. Lower casting cost or power above the curve could have saved it I guess.

What I'm pondering is if you can build a cube where the power level is right for deathrite and falkenrath, but without it being oppressive if you happen to make a mistake during drafting or deck building. I usually play with one or two noob-ish players, and for them to have fun, you can't be punished whenever you make the slightest mistake, but they still like to see the powerful cards.

The great September purge of '14

Or at least the start of it.

Green

Blue

White

Red

Black

gold

Artifact

Chris Taylor

Contributor
These all seem like fine cuts. Was silverheart too good? It does seem weird seeing him and verdaloth the ancient on the same...anything really :p