Jonas 360 Cube

Is Undying Evil a real thing?
sort of, i would say no if you are going for a very constructed feel. but it is decent in a few cubes

i gave it a little boost
PeppersmokeStrikefull_zps3d754839.jpg

Trying things.

Out

In

I tried out Undying evil in the early days of my cube, but never really got any use out of it. Maybe I should try it again.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
on the one hand, ugh black vice.
on the other, ugh vedalken shackles.

do people like the image dump patch notes? I try to show which cards are coming out for which cards, to make sure what I'm doing fits why I'm doing it

Black Vise hasn't been terribly oppressive here, I took it out for doing too little :p

I went for images, since I didn't really know what I was taking out for what I was putting in.

I'm not too worried about the shackles at the moment, but I might change my mind. Helm of possession actually seems more abusive with gravecrawler and bloodghasts.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've been slowly re-introducing some broken stuff into my cube. Shackles is very good, and has given rise to a 2 - 0 - 1 Ug Tempo deck and a 2 - 1 Ub control deck in the last two drafts. It's super powerful when 75% of you lands are islands of some sort. But these decks were never that great before and I've seen Shackles be beaten a number of times too.

Also, I like the image dump style. Very quick and easy to process all the information.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Vise is only good sometimes, and it's miserable then. I'm glad it's gone.

CML will swear by helm of posession, if shackles turns out to be too good, consider the swap

Will consider it. Will be interesting to see how it ends up.

By the way. Noone drafts red in my cube, what am I doing wrong? I see all the red cards wheeling draft after draft. Maybe I should just force it.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
While good, red is rarely particularly "interesting", most people want to do big stupid fun things in cube and red is usually viewed as the "fun police"

It's possible people know it's there, they'd just rather play some awesome ramp deck :p
Basically what I'm saying is it could well be a personality problem instead of a power one

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I've noticed the same thing, except switch red and blue. Generally, no one wants to be the guy in blue. The decks are usually good, but generally we find them to be boring. Its taken serious strides to get people to care about blue, but I think its starting to take hold.

As for Red, you could consider adding more hook cards or tune up your aggro even more. You are running a lot of high cost red creatures, maybe drop a couple of them for a little more early game or a few stupid red build around enchantments.

Some interesting red-based decktypes to ponder Squeebind/Aggroloam/madness value, Furnace Celebration, Ion Storm (Lol, probably not, but who knows!), Wildfire/Jokulhaups, Ponza (looks pretty supported already, though I've liked the devasting dreams angle thus far) and Wolfrunesque ramp.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
My cube has an anti red-aggro personality, so I have won an obscene number of drafts with RX aggro decks. They don't play them more, so my answer has been to make red decks more fun to play. Fixing and stuff like Slayers Stronghold go a long way.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, as a cube owner, it's often up to you to fill the void when your players' sensibilities just don't line up with a particular archetype. In the beginning, my early playgroup had an aversion to red, so it fell to me to bust their balls with near mono-red aggro decks. More recently, my current playgroup tends to fight over green and avoid blue, so that leaves me with the control deck more often than not. It's part of the curse of being a cube owner; knowing your own list inside out, you should be able to sniff out the signals better than anyone, and move in on an underrepresented colour or archetype. It's just that with this technique, chances are that you'll find yourself gravitating towards similar decks much of the time.

Why not, I'm both Swedish and a student :p

While good, red is rarely particularly "interesting", most people want to do big stupid fun things in cube and red is usually viewed as the "fun police"

It's possible people know it's there, they'd just rather play some awesome ramp deck :p
Basically what I'm saying is it could well be a personality problem instead of a power one

I agree that red seldom is too interesting, and some of my players have an aversion towards decks that just turn sideways, and would rather play some sort of control, and have a hard time drafting aggro, so there is definitely a personalty problem to it too.

I've noticed the same thing, except switch red and blue. Generally, no one wants to be the guy in blue. The decks are usually good, but generally we find them to be boring. Its taken serious strides to get people to care about blue, but I think its starting to take hold.

As for Red, you could consider adding more hook cards or tune up your aggro even more. You are running a lot of high cost red creatures, maybe drop a couple of them for a little more early game or a few stupid red build around enchantments.

Some interesting red-based decktypes to ponder Squeebind/Aggroloam/madness value, Furnace Celebration, Ion Storm (Lol, probably not, but who knows!), Wildfire/Jokulhaups, Ponza (looks pretty supported already, though I've liked the devasting dreams angle thus far) and Wolfrunesque ramp.

I did put together a squeebind/cursed scroll/discard for value deck that went 2-1 a while ago, but no-one has tried to put it together since. I might throw in some more LD to make ponza easier to get into, like perhaps stone rain and ice storm, since RG is underrepresented in the drafting too, and I would love to see it getting some action. Madness would be fun to add, but I don't know how many of the madness cards I would use, and which ones to add. Mongrel, Rootwalla, Wurm, what else is there that is actually useful in madness? I'm actually considering taking out the last wildfire too, since I've been the only one drafting it.

My cube has an anti red-aggro personality, so I have won an obscene number of drafts with RX aggro decks. They don't play them more, so my answer has been to make red decks more fun to play. Fixing and stuff like Slayers Stronghold go a long way.

RX has been drafted a bit, but the only one that has got any results is rakdos, since the ones drafting boros are usually the ones without experience, so they get a bunch of good cards, and then end up building a sub-par deck, sadly. I try to help out, but people don't always want my help.

Yeah, as a cube owner, it's often up to you to fill the void when your players' sensibilities just don't line up with a particular archetype. In the beginning, my early playgroup had an aversion to red, so it fell to me to bust their balls with near mono-red aggro decks. More recently, my current playgroup tends to fight over green and avoid blue, so that leaves me with the control deck more often than not. It's part of the curse of being a cube owner; knowing your own list inside out, you should be able to sniff out the signals better than anyone, and move in on an underrepresented colour or archetype. It's just that with this technique, chances are that you'll find yourself gravitating towards similar decks much of the time.

Yeah, knowing the list, I do see what archetypes are completely open, but I suck at changing direction after my first pick :p Which is something I need to get some practice in on, so I guess I should start doing that.

I try to get my players to look at the cube at cubetutor, at least before we start the draft, so they know what is in it, but I have some people who say that they see absolutely no synergies whatsoever. Maybe I just need to bludgeon them over the head with something.

Can I just say how much I love this place, for the feedback you get, and the random discussions that come up in the threads, it's very good at making one feel welcome :)

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
On madness: Fiery Temper is way better then it looks. If you are just chucking it, you get a bolt. If you are chucking it FOR VALUE its basically a cantripping bolt. Blast from the Past is also amazing if you can put up with the weight of the card. Violent Eruption is not bad at all. Add in Reckless Wurm and you've got four cards, all in red, that get you started. Green has some decent stuff if you want to lean that way. I also like Obsessive Search too. Circular Logic is hard to utilize (you need a looter) and the black madness cards are pretty situational.

I know no one will believe me, but Tybalt has been pretty good for me, though he is fairly poisonous.

When looking for good cards in madness theme, also look at other cards that have value when discarded. Flashback, Unearth, Black Creatures you play form the grave, cards that come back to your hand or bring back cards efficiently (mostly Loam here I guess). Threshold and Dredge have some minor synergy here too.